Deals gap

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Anyone ever been there? Reason i ask is feb 2,3,4 & 5 ill be in gatlinburg to go snowboarding and i want to go see this place and if its not cold take a nice 11 mile drive and see what those 318 turns are all about. But i dont know how long it takes to get to it from gatlinburg.
    If anyone knows help me out the RHD wants to go ride it as well so i should get plunty of video and pictures.

2. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Be really really careful! The two times i went there, one of cars in our group went off a cliff and was saved by totalling his car into a tree and the other time a friend nearly went off the road. Add in all the cops that are up there now and I will never go there again. While the scenery and drive is nice, I rather not risk it anymore. Have a good time and be extra careful!

3. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea i have heard it is rather dangerous as well, but if you dont take your car past its limits you wlil have a good time.

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I would seriously consider doing a track day instead of going to Deal's gap. It is so much safer to push your car on a track, and IMO much more fun. It is fun looking at the scenery up there, but not worth pushing the car. It can be quite dangerous/expensive.

On a side note, the last wrxAtl mountain run ended up costing me $1100 (ticket + lawyer fees) due to going around a blind corner a bit too quickly and having a cop stopping traffic on the other side. This would have easily covered the cost of 5-8 track days... I hope I learned my lesson.

--
    Brian

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'd second the track day experience. Save that time for more snowboarding :D

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Dayum! $1100 is steep. That's 4 track days @ RA!!

7. I dont plan pushing the car to the limits. I just want to see this strip of road. but i found out its like an hr or so away from where im going to be and that out of the way. We wanted to do this on the way home.