Decisions on Upcoming Purchase - Bike vs Evo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Mar 4, 2013.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

Hey All

As some of you may know, I had my R1 up for sale 1-2 months ago, and yes, I was able to get it sold relatively quickly. I had some upcoming large expenses that I did not want to dig into savings to take care off..HOA, tires, registration, things like that.

Now that the bike is gone, got those expenses taken care of and learned last week that I will be getting a nice bonus and a small raise, I am itching to pick up another R1. Warm weather is coming soon :eek:hnoes:

But...that had me thinking...should I really go ahead and get another bike or since I have the funds, trade in the WRX get an EVO. I've always wanted an EVO and told myself that would be my next car after the WRX. And actually, I've seen some nice low mileage evos for ~30k on carmax.

So my question is what which route would you guys go....I know this comparison is like apples vs steak but hey, these are expensive toys and I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Are there any bads I should know about the latest gen evos? How are the paddle shifters?...This is an attractive feature for me since I am starting to get sick of shifting. How much of an increase in power will they handle safely for a DD? Are they already awesome out of the box, or would I need to do junk like suspension, engine mods (other than a tune), etc?

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

nevermind.
    insurance raped me hard

3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Was it Flo? I heard she can be a bitch and doesn't like to use lube.

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

It sure was Flo as a matter of fact. I did a quote for a replacing a vehicle and the premium increased $800 from now until june, and $1100 overall increase for a 6 month policy

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

neither. HOA, tires, registration and things like that should be planned for since they occur at regular intervals.

if you're having to sell off toys to pay normal maintenance items, you're not really in much of a position to go splurging again.

just my $.02

6. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I'm with stupid^

7. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Fucking communist..... This is 'Merica, we don't gots to have money to spend, yo!

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

been there, done that, lost my tshirt. seriously though, maybe you have another toy worth trading towards a bike or car? these are desperate times in the gun world. i traded my $1200 AR-15 for a $3850 2003 CBR600RR.....

9. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I was in the same boat about 3 months ago. I was thinking about getting a motorcycle instead of the Evo, but I just didn't feel I could trust other drivers enough to get a bike. I almost lost a friend of mine to a motorcycle accident last year. He was in a coma for a month, but turned a corner and is recovering. That was the nail in the coffin for a bike for me. I had a 2009 WRX running stage 2. Power was good, but I was getting tired of shifting, and smelling clutch from time to time. I also wanted to upgrade everything suspension to make up for the body roll and lack of handling. So I started looking at dual clutch cars, and the Evo MR was the best priced for the performance. Everything was better than my WRX. The transmission works really well, and I'm getting excited for my first autocross in 2 weeks. I think stock it will handle most driving situations quite well. I've read up on the transmission, and the consensuses is that it will handle about 340-360 whp before the clutches need to be replaced. With Topspeeds experience with Evo's and GTR's, it may be something that they can handle. I know there is a shop in Charlotte that does it too. Just like any car, it depends on what you will be doing with it if it needs modifications. I could see myself getting addicted to autocross, and that may steer me into making some changes to my car, but stock it's pretty awesome. I'll be in Atlanta the weekend of the 23rd if you want to check it out in person. And get a quote from Geico. I'm paying less than $100 a month for coverage on a 2011 MR. I'm 36 with a clean driving record though.