DirectTV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bixs, May 26, 2010.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I thought about making this post tomorrow, but I've had more than a few to drink and it'll make this more entertaining hopefully.

No matter what complaints you have against your cable company, just always remember that if you make the switch to DirectTV, you buy the satellite dish as part of the agreement. So anytime your receiver makes the statement "Searching for signal" they might as well say "please call and make an appointment with a contractor for DirectTV, and we will charge you $55+ to come out just to look at your dish...at which point we probably won't come equipt to look at it so we'll have to make another appointment".

I love satellite, but if they come to setup your dish and they go to install it on your roof, think smarter...install it on the ground even if it is in a worse position. You are 100% responsible for it.

Alright, so anyone that has had satellite, leave some feedback, as for me I'll be scaling steep inclines on my roof tomorrow to check the connections and the angle of my dish over 25ft above the ground on the edge of my roof.

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I have direct tv and a line went bad. They hopped on the roof and fished some new coaxle from the dish through the attic to the tv. not sure why they gave you a problem.

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

we just have channels that never came in from the beginning, but we always had ESPN and the sports channels so we didn't care. We actually suspended our service a month back until college football season starts up again, as we just download all of our movies / tv shows anyway

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

I've had DTV since 2003, never had any issues.

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

I LOVED my directv. Never had any issues and the price couldn't be beat (had an additional $20 off from best buy when I was an employee)

6. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

if it was an error in the installation i can see them giving me a break, but anytime i've ever had a signal problem they tell me they'll send someone out and it'll be a charge because it's not a problem with their equipment. no exceptions, i've never been offered a free visit, ever, in 4 years.

the original contractor that didn't have a directtv van, i could have hired a landscaper and he probably would have sounded just as intelligent about the satellite. i literally had to talk to six different people just get the charges removed for the SWM switch they installed, and the charges for them to come out and install it. i have been told numerous times that they will have to charge me to come out and every time i've had to fix it myself by climbing on the roof or splicing wires in my attic. either you've never had a problem with the satellite so you haven't had to deal with a contractor coming out, or i'm getting bent over because i don't live near an official directtv office and they treat it differently when contractors come out

7. Trey

Trey Active Member

Hint...when you call 1-800-DirecTv, say "Cancel' several times until you get a real person. That is customer retention and they can give you freebies where as the level one customer support person can't.

8. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

i tried that one time, they said ok....this was before my 2 year contract was up. so they then added up the cost of canceling and told me. lol. it would have a different effect now of course

9. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

finally got around to calling them up. i told them how the last few times i had problems i just fixed it myself because i didn't want to have to pay. this time it's 25ft+ off the ground and once on the roof, it looked a little more dangerous than i wanted to deal with. they thanked me for being a "loyal" customer and said that i'm entitled to a free service visit due to being a "loyal" customer. they do seem to know how to appease you.

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

Sweet!

11. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

replaced the LNB and SWM switch, aligned it and all is well, for free. wooo