Divorced wastegate dp?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by scoobaru, Aug 6, 2014.

1. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Looking to go stage 2 on my sti. Leaning towards a catted dp. My question is on a stock wastegate, are there pros/cons for running a divorced dp versus a bellmouth dp?

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I would just run an open bellmouth. They make the most power from what I was told by Doug and Scott. Plus they are dirt cheap these days.

3. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Yeah I've heard that too. But I've also read the dwg's are beneficial also. I'm wanting an invidia catted dp to go with my catback but can't seem to find a bellmouth.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

5. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

+1 on the invidia. Great dp

6. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

At the Stage 2 level (even beyond that) there will truly will be zero difference in performance.

The Invidia DPs work great but the Catted DPs are currently on back order. There are some other options but if you want something now, most of your choices are going to be Catless.

Let me know if you need some pricing as we try to hook up WRXAtlanta members as best we can.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I have a Cobb catted DP going into a G200 Invidia cat-back. never had an issue with fitment or sound quality.

8. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Yeah, I was pretty sure there wouldn't be any gains over bellmouth. But would there be any adverse effects? Would it be just as beneficial as a bellmouth?

Yeah I considered the Cobb......but it tapers to 2.5 right? I know I'm being picky here.

9. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

None at all. I would say the biggest decision you have in front of you now is to go Catless or Catted. :)

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I've wondered that as well...

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

There is nothing special about a downpipe. Just get the cheapest one you can find and if you want a cat have it installed. A 3" mandrel bent pipe is just a 3" mandrel bent pipe.

I ran Ebay special ERZ downpipe and uppipe on my WRX with ZERO issues.

12. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

It does taper to meet up with the stock exhaust flange, which really doesn't make much of a difference at the stage 2 level; once you upgrade the turbo then you will be leaving some power on the table (has a lot to do with the fact that it's catted too).

13. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

This is true... sort of.

Yes a 3" pipe is a 3" pipe but if you plan to leave that 3" pipe on your car for an extended period of time and don't want to have to worry about welds breaking or the down pipe falling apart over time then there is something to be said about getting the better quality one in the beginning. Also, there may be some fitment issues with the lower priced / quality stuff.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - Pick Two.

14. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

What a sales pitch.....

Tell that to the guy who broke a few records, ran the parts for 170,000 miles and never had any fitment issues. :rofl: :naughty: :bowdown:

Just helping someone save money on overpriced stuff. Sure there are some things you don't skimp on but a downpipe isn't one of them.

15. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Not a sales pitch just giving my experience from several of those down pipes having to have been repaired.

I'm happy to hear that you didn't have any issues but I certainly don't think that's the norm, or at least for me it hasn't been.

Anywho... back to the original theme of the thread... No difference from Bellmouth to Divorced W/G.

16. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I was looking to go invidia strictly because 1. I found a good deal on one and 2. Just to match my exhaust (which I know is silly) and avoid fitment issues.

As far as catted vs catless....I wanted to go catted in hopes it would keep the car a little quieter then catless. Also, I think I'm just gonna run an ots map w/ an accessport for the time being. No pro tune ATM. Wanted to avoid possible over boost and boost creep that I've heard about.