Does EVERYTHING contain high-fructose corn syrup these days?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, May 30, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Been trying to avoid HFCS for a while now, and damn it's difficult sometimes. Next time you're at the grocery store, take a look at various things and you'd be surprised. Cereal, ketchup, bread, frozen dinners, Nyquil, just about EVERYTHING seems to have that crap in it.

No wonder there's a serious weight problem here in the US...

2. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

yeah nearly.. but if u want u can get these drinks known as fruit juice

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I know I contain High Fructose Corn Syrup...

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Man, don't get me started... fruit juice is just one step away from soft drinks as far as I'm concerned. Sure, it has some vitamins, but there's a crapton of calories and sugar that goes with it.

5. jayj713

jayj713 Member

HFCS is the same as sugar right? And if i remember correctly from "Super size me" Only 2 things at mcdonalds doesnt have sugar. It's like french fries and chicken nuggets? I can't remember.

EDIT: And it's not helping that i have a tall boy Mountain Dew Amp in front of me is it? HFCS is the 2nd most ingredient in this haha.

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

HFCS contains mostly fructose and glucose (which are sugars). The concern is that fructose might screw with your body by not triggering the proper insulin and leptin response like most other sugars will.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

thank god someone is on my page, we have a juice machine here and people are HITTING it dry thinking its "healthier than soda". Hah, if your juice comes out of a box, then bam, insto-fatness.

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It is certainly easier to drink your calories. For instance, your average apple contains something like 80 calories. You can drink 200-300 calories' worth of apple juice without hesitation and you'll still be hungry. Have an apple or two and you're better off, not to mention getting some good fiber in your diet.

Ah well, at least the people pumping gallons of juicy juice into their poor kids are *trying* to do something better than giving them soda...

9. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have pretty much cut soda out of my diet. I have no had more than 1 soda a week for the past 2 months. After cutting soda, I found myself drinking alot of teas and juices. Now all I drink is water and I have lost 5 pounds.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I think the average figure I saw was 56 gallons/year of soda consumed per person.

11. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

what the hell happened to water? that's what i usually give my daughter to drink. it's good for you and it's a lot cheeper than soda or juice.

in my effort to become more heathier, i've stopped smoking and cut WAY back on soda. drinking lots of water now, and i find it much more thirst quenching that soda.

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i try to stick to drinking alcohol

13. What about the 100% squeezed juices? Theres this machine in Chinatown where it just squeezes oranges into this container and you buy it. Sometimes you get a sweet patch which is awsome and then you get the sour ones...

14. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

To get the Real natural juices foods you have to shop at places like harrys and whole foods or get a jack lalane juiceman machine if that man can do it it's gotta work. dam its late.

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

keeps the innards clean :D

16. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

when it's time.. alcohol kills just like in the movie devdas [milo]