down pipe question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by STIstorm, May 10, 2015.

1. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

So I've been looking at either getting a cobb or invidia downpipe. Is one better than the other or does anyone recommend going with a different brand. Also I'm guessing that I will have to get a stage one tune as well. Right? This is my daily driver so I don't want to lose any of the reliability.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

If you have the stock cat back or an aftermarket exhaust that has a 2.5" connection at the cat back, get the cobb. If you have a full 3" cat back or plan on getting one, get the Invidia. I have used both and the Cobb seemed to be a little nicer (material and build) than the Invidia.

3. STIstorm

Art the moment I have the stock catback and really don't plan on getting an exhaust

4. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Go Cobb then. It will mate up to the factory catback. It's a quality piece and I think you will enjoy the sound too. If you decide to go aftermarket catback later you either replace it or have the taper cut out.

5. STIstorm

Going to head over to all pro tomorrow. Any difference in going with a new one compared with a used one?

6. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

for me personally, exhaust is one of the few things I would get used. At the end of the day its a stainless steel pipe (well a good name brand). So overall I figure there isn't much to go wrong.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I love when people say: there's 15k miles on my exhaust. it's in great shape!

....no. there's no rotation in there like a crank or turbo. it has no miles on it. it's just for pushing fumes out of hte car.

8. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

With used exhausts you still have to check the welds for leaks.

On my previous car, WRX, the welds gave out which resulted in leaks. Unless you were looking for leaks, it was barely visible to a naked eye.

9. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

There are awesome deals out there man. I bought my Invidia downpipe off of Nasioc. The guy had it on the car for a couple weeks then decided to sell the car. The down pipe looked brand new and I got it for FAR less than new.

I agree with Jeff... I have no problem with buying exhaust used. Just buy new gaskets.

10. I have no problem buying an exhaust used, however for the small difference id probably buy a new catted downpipe. cats are actually a wear item and will eventualy wear out over time. if you were going catless I would not hesitate to buy a used downpipe

11. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I was going to say the same thing, Catted DPs do have a life. And if it came off a car with a lot of mods, it's seen more heat/exhaust then a "barely used" DP.

I had a catted high-flow COBB mated to a 3" Invidia G200 and fitment was perfect. Both Brands are great, you can't go wrong.

12. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

If the exhaust is extremely old the material in the muffler itself could be pretty much gone and well that just means it will be louder... No problem with a used exhaust besides the few small issues that have already been mentioned.

13. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

and to answer the other original question you had, you will need to go Stage 2, not 1, with the downpipe. Right?
    I think the latest maps are up to 3.34 or something like that off Cobb, if that's what you are using.

<---Invidia Catted, for what it's worth

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  14. I would also vote for invidia catted. even with the grimmspeed 3" DP to 2.5" stock catback adapter, youre still in cheaper than the cobb. BTW Pm me if youd be interested In pricing on a new Invidia downpipe, catted or catless.:)

15. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I have the invidia Catted DP with the Grimspeed reducer. Don't forget when you swap the down pipe, you need to either modify your current Heat shield, buy an after market one, or get a turbo blanket