Drifting battle....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Meredith, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meredith

Meredith Banned

eh I wasn't a big fan but I can't complain since I got in for free.... while it's a cool event the competition seemed based more how much tire smoke you made rather than how well you drove.

2. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

good drift = mega tire smoke, and a lot of it is based on crowd reaction. beside what happens when you take a sharp corner at a high rate of speed?

they are largely based on skill because dropping a tire or losing your drift is a major deduction in points.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If that were the case, the Mustang would have won hands down. It always seems to make the most smoke.

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I was there also (free tickets FTW!), and I just felt the whole time that they had already decided who would win. I didn't get to see Taka's runs fully, as we were up in the driver's paddock area during most of the qualifying. But, it did seem that a large part of the event was how much tire smoke that the cars would generate over the actual skill of the drifting.

The crowd around me also seemed much more amused by smoke, vs the lines the drivers were taking. When the mustang was running, I heard more of "AMERICA, F&** YEAH!!!!!" and "YAAAHHHH!!! FUKIN TIRESMOKIN JESUS!@!!!!!" and "GO JUNIOR, GREAT FUKIN AMERICAAN!NN!N!, ..pass me more natty light.. " vs any care about the lines cars were taking.

I have watched more serious drifting events on Speed, where they seem to be judged less subjectively, with much more skilled drifting.

IMO, it just comes down to JDM drifting (awesome lines, flow, etc) != USDM drifting (FUKIN' TIRE SMOKE!)

-Brian

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Hey... I had to take part in a beer run to pick up more Natty light during the event :) It does help fuel the love for drifting.

6. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

i was watching the whole thing, rhys wasnt making all that much smoke. JR was making more than anyone else but because the dropped two tires twice he got knocked out.

7. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Everyone here thought it was pretty fair compared to years past.

8. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Plain and simple, I had a great time, as I have every year that I have gone, and will continue to go every time it is here in Atlanta.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I got to ride in the Atom? Coolest car ever. Thanks again 4sevens, highlight of my weekend.

9. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

At least they didn't do "one more time" over and over again until the car they wanted to win did. Anybody rememeber the first year when the corolla actually beat the VIper, but they kept doing "one more time" until the Corolla overheated and had to quit. Sam went on to win in the Viper. The first year or 2 the crowd reaction had more to do with it. In fact, they didn't penalize much for dropping tires off the track then. They seem to be looking more at the technical aspects now, but you can still see some politics. I have enjoyed all 5 years and both days everytime.

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I did not make it to the first two. I have been at the past three, and will go to all future Formula D events. I am just glad nobody went into the Kitty Litter. Nothing worse than the 10 minute breaks when they have to clean off the track. Very few off track events this time, maybe they weren't pushing hard enough.

11. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

This was my first year going I am hoping next year we will be there for more than just being spectators.

12. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I didn't even think about that. lost a few bumpers this year and nothing else. I miss seeing the body kits explode when they hit the rumble strips though.

13. schneid

schneid Member

:rofl:

thanks for the laugh

14. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I know drifting takes immense skill and control.

But seriously, it is the figure skating of racing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.