E39 BMW M5 EM Options

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerklo, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

So my boss has an 2000 BMW M5. He has had the car long enough to get the mod bug. He has actually made his own intake out of IC piping and AEM filters, and is looking into doing a couple other things such as exhaust. He wants some sort of Engine Management to take advantage of whatever modifications he chooses to do. In his research he has only found three or four companies that offer some sort of engine management for his car. The only two he is really interested in are the Dinan Chip or a chip called the Shark that is sold through Turner Motorsports.

Both chips are non-tunable (at least from what I can tell). The problem with the Dinan is that it is stupid expensive and it is tuned "exclusively" for the $2500 Dinan Intake. In fact one of the two local Dinan Authorized Installers would not even sell him the stage two software without buying the intake with it.

So I know this is a WRX forum, but I am hoping maybe some of the tuners on the board would have some advice. I don't know anything about BMW EMS options, but I think the best solution is to get his car tuned on a dyno. I am just not sure how expensive/feasible/correct this solution is. Is the only way to get an M5 dyno-tuned to buy a stand-alone EMS like Motec? Does anyone have any experience with upgrading BMWs? Thanks in advance,

Scott

2. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Has he called EuroTech Atlanta yet?

3. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

The dinan stuff you get to keep the factory warranty which is nice

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

He should buy all his mods then tune the car once. No need to keep tuning it. The Turner chip and Steve Dinan one are top dog in the Bimmer world.

Head over to http://www.bimmerforums.com/ to get started!