exhaust leak

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Suby1128, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

So I was sitting in traffic today on the way to school, let off the brake and hit the gas to go when i hear that the engine sounds different. deeper, and a constant whooshing at all RPM's, but worse when the turbo is engaged. I'm hoping it's only an exhaust leak, and it sounds like it's coming from either the turbo/DP joint or the joint from my Short DP to the midpipe with the third cat. Gonna try some powder after school and see if i can find it for sure.
    :evil:
    ~Craig's parents wonn't be pleased when they find out his car is messing up because of something he installed

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Powder's a pretty good idea for it. Are you saying you have a leak because you hear it or you can smell it?

3. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

you still running the stock uppipe? hope nothing went through the turbo.....

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

You should have heard my parents when they found out I blew my tranny.:p

Hopefully its just a minor leak, maybe you can just double up on the gaskets.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What did your parents think when you told them you had an actual gas leak? :bigthumb:

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Good luck fixing your problem, hopefully it is only a leak and all you will need is new gaskets or to double up on them.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

im not a big fan of the shorty downpipes just because its another place you can get a leak..however you can tell if its a dp leak by placing your fingers around the outside of the dp/turbo area and see if u feel any air coming out in between the 2..i dont know about doubling up on gaskets but subie dude makes some really thick gaskets you might want to check out..good luck partner

8. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

If you have an up pipe make sure the sensor didn't back out. Mine did a coupe times until I put some thread sealant on it. Hopefully that is it.

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

double gaskets worked good for me when i had a leak with my downpipe

10. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I took it after school for Scott Siegel to look at really quick, and his first guess was the same as mine that it was most likely the turbo to downpipe gasket, but I didn't have the money right then to get it properly diagnosed. However I did go ahead and pick up the gasket for that joint, does anybody think they could help me saturday morning take a look at it? I'm not exactly sure how to make sure that it's just a broken gasket.
    Craig

11. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

craig:

that is disapointing to me that it is leaking. It held together for quite a while. Mine still hasn't leaked in 15k.

Did you ever put in the mechnical cel fix? Stock gaskets don't usually just decide to fail. If there is a leak, it is know from day one.

hummmm

12. Weapon

i wouldnt mind helping you if we can pinpoint a time..let me know

13. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I got in the mechanical CEL fix at the dyno day, *thank you porter*. I went ahead and bought the turbo-downpipe gasket at SoG, and I think me and a friend on saturday are going to attempt to replace it at his house (he needs to change his transmission fluid in his truck, which he screwed up a few nights ago during Jr/Sr. Wars. I'll let you guys know if I think we will need any help, but I think what I'll do is just double up the OEM gasket I bought with some of that silicone gasket gel stuff you can buy. Should that work?
    Craig

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I still don't see how it could just leak. A double gasket could leak worse honestly. You can you high temp gasket maker to help make a better seal.

15. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

hmm, I'm not sure. I was sitting at a red light, and went to hit the gas when all of a sudden I noticed the noise was different. Scott siegel says it's probably a gasket also (and prob. the Turbo-DP gasket). I'm going to go out there right now and check and see if i can find where its coming from.
    Craig

16. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

ok well when I was out there right now, it is smelling real rich which makes me think that it is before the cat in the midpipe. The other thing I'm noticing is that it's coming from the turbo area, so I'm not exactly sure if it is the turbo-DP joint. Porter said it was most likely post-turbo because it doesn't change pitch when the turbo engages, it is always bad lol. Anybody have ideas of how I can check. To do the whole powder thing I would have to take of the heat shield. I don't have my stock uppipe, so I doubt anything has gotten knocked into the turbo, but it sounds bad so I can't rule that out
    Craig

Also, I've lost a whole bunch of power from this leak. Hope this info helps nebody to diagnose it.

17. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

lost power!? that could only happen before the turbo leak

18. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i agree... maybe the lack of power is due to the increasing temperature lately

19. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

no it's a lot worse than that, the car feels downright boggy.
    Craig

p.s. My car is only hitting .77 bar max, which is worse than what I was hitting last summer without any mods, and my BOV is barely getting any air, it seems to barely let the air escape.
    Craig

20. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

has this loss in pressure started happenning after u noticed the leak?

21. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

it happened as soon as I noticed the leak yesterday morning.
    Craig

22. Weapon

if its a leak before the turbo is will sound like a high pitch squeal..if its after the turbo its more of a whooshing sound..not sure why you are losing boost..have you checked all your I/C hoses..even with a huge uppipe leak i was still hitting 1 bar of boost..?:confused:

23. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

suppose it could be an IC hose. I can't exactly pinpoint where the leak is coming from, but it's from the turbo area. Thought it could be one of the hoses around that, but didn't think that would make me hear the engine a lot louder under the hood when it's idling. Not a whooshing noise or a high pitch whine.
    Craig

24. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Hijacking again, but Weapon isn't a post whore, hahaha, all the whoring for nothing.

25. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

fixed. the temp. sensor had come out of the bung in my Helix flex uppipe, patrick (gotsol) helped me get it back in there. Thanks Patrick, thats twice you've saved me!
    Craig

26. married05gt

married05gt starting over

Glad to here it is not any thing serius

27. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Hey Craig, no biige, only a mionor burn :)

I'd say you owe me a beer but you know

28. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

hey, if I can get my hands on any :bigthumb:

29. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

sweet, so the car is running fine now?

30. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

yep running perfect