Fairtax rally tonight

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, May 24, 2006.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I'm going to a Fairtax rally at the Gwinett Convention Center later tonight.

Whats the Fairtax?

Imagine if there were no IRS... You kept all of your paycheck... and instead you paid a national sales tax only when you actually bought something.

I bet you'd know exactly how much in taxes you paid then, instead of having to hire some accountant to understand the huge and complicated income tax code we have now.

anyways, if it sounds like a neat idea to you, drop on by.

http://wsbradio.com/cgi-bin/info.cgi?type=event&id=1988956

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

good luck getting in..they were turning people away at 5:30 because it was already packed

3. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

this thing is really big neal bortz knows what he is talking abt

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Heh, and Boortz was worried there wouldn't be enough people to fill half the place. :)

5. Mad Mallard

... i wuz turned away...

the website said they'd open the place at 6:30... i left work at 6:15...

i didn't stand a chance.... but they did play it on the radio

6. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I tried to get there too the cop told me they were already full when I got in the parkin lot. and it was still a line spanning half of the center. I left work at 530. if anyone finds a vid of it please post up the link thanks.

And Boortz thought he wouldn't fill up the place ha! there were bus loads of people comming form florida and surrounding states for support I really glad more people are finding out about it maybe we can get this passed by next year:wiggle:

7. RADON

RADON Member

I was unable to make it. It's good news to hear that it was so packed.

8. Weapon

boortz was saying comcast is considering putting it on-demand for those to watch it at home if u have comcast cable. he said u just have to call them and request it.

9. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i've been following this for a while (over a decade in it's various forms) i always shake my head ruefully. it's not that i don't believe in it. i whole-heartedly do. it's just that there is too much money to be made by officials with the current system(read: interest free loans that they collect interest on, and you don't-most people don't think about this, but they sure as HELL can tell you who got kicked off some fucking island or american idol). and don't get me started on bonus (cap gain) taxation... if i bust my ass to make the bonus numbers, the govt can take more than half?! FUCK THAT:fawk:

good luck though man-hope everything goes well. i try and support the politicians (few and far between as they are) that try and step up to this plate. most efforts have been little more than symbolic thrusts though.

EDIT: lol, sorry i didn't even read the date.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  10. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I think this is a great idea.

With this system, it doesn't matter if you're in the country illegally, a regular citizen, or even a drug dealer.

Everybody is going to have to pay taxes on stuff they buy (cars, food, clothes, etc).

This way, the untaxable illegal products become taxable, and there won't be an argument anymore that Illegal's don't pay taxes. If you don't want to pay taxes, you just don't buy stuff.

Craig

11. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

^^:rofl: I'll like to see people try and NOT buy stuff.

12. Weapon

plus think about all the government jobs that will be obsolete..Hell just the IRS alone has over 100,000 jobs. all of those people will be left unemployed. My favorite tax is the death tax..they tax every dollar you make while living and then tax the hell out of you when you die..how effed up is that

13. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i know, i wasn't going to mention the gov't jobs thing... there's a LOT of logistics that would have to be planned for. it could be done, but you would have to have everyone in govt be willing to put their shoulder against it. and i just don't think you're going to get that kind of unity. the parties are subdivided for fucksake(unless it's a feel-good issue), they sure ain't gonna go to great lengths working together... the short-term (read: their office term) benefits aren't there.

14. Mad Mallard

which is why the people in these types of rallies have to be voters ready to fire the politicians that dont listen.

They're more worried about their jobs? let this become an issue where they can LOSE their job...

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

As much as I love this idea I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Face it, the average person is excited when they 'get a tax refund' and will tell you how much the government 'gave' them. Ask them how much they paid in tax last year, and you'll hear "I didn't -- I got some back!!!"

16. Weapon

that goes to show how uneducated the average person is..very sad really. most people cant name the national security advisor or another important person in an important position but they sure could tell you who won American idol..

17. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You need to read "Beggars in Spain" :)

18. Mad Mallard

that was actually the first words outta Neal's mouth at the rally, something like:

"I can't believe we packed this house on the saeson finale of American Idol..."

19. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

would be nice but will it happen? doubt it

20. Weapon

i will put it on my "to read" list. Whats it about?

21. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It's a good slightly futuristic novel that's an interesting study in what happens when there's a more distinctive split between upper and lower classes, and the government and societal responses to it. It's also pretty much libertarian philosophy in disguise if you ask me. :)

Author Nancy Kress. Note that it started out as a short story, but got a good response and she ended up extending it into a book.

HIGHLY recommended because it's a damn good read and will make you think.

22. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I couldn't answer any of these questions, including who won American Idol.

23. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

kelly clarkson!

24. Weapon

:rofl: I spit some food out when i read that. I had a mental image of 40 year old virgin yelling that when he was getting waxed

25. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Dude, I HOPE you're talking about the movie. :eek3:

26. Weapon

Do you know who the Vice President is? How about the Chief of Staff? Please tell me you know who the Commander in Chief is! Can you tell me when SPEED is going to broadcast the next WRC!!!!! Really..I need to see some rally..i dont care if they are reruns im just tired of seeing Nascar ----> "ok we are coming up on another left turn here"

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Well, we know he can't be talking about himself. If he was then there might be a problem and he may need to hire a detective and do a paternity test to find out who the true father of Xander was. Or maybe Dusty is an example of Virgin Birth.

28. Weapon

:fawk:

29. cb7stim3

cb7stim3 Member

FairTax is not going to happen

i support it 100%, but it will not happen, not within the next 10 years

30. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    [​IMG]

31. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

that movie is so awesome!!!

"you know how i know you're gay?"

32. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Dammit if the can let the illegals stay here they can do the fair tax.

33. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

so how does this fair tax thing work?
    does it increase the salary of the low paying jobs? or help out low income families? if not, what are the people who can hardly afford to live as it is going to do when the tax on grocerys and clothes increases 23% (at least that is the number i saw from the links earlier)?

and what about the wealthy? won't they just start buying things from outside the country so they don't have to pay the sales tax? i do agree that the current system needs a reform/overhaul/something...but is this the right answer?

34. Mad Mallard

first of all, dial back your hatred of the 'evil wealthy' a bit, it shows too easily. ;p

We already have what you call 'tarrifs' to correct the competitiveness of incoming goods. Do you know that any pickup truck manufactured outside the US has had to pay $5000 per truck in tarrif? Look up something called "Chicken Tax" later.

but to answer your first question... :)

Nope. Since when does a tax do, or is expected to do that?

Yep!

Here's the deal. The Fairtax abolishes the IRS. What does the IRS do? Collect and manage the federal income tax and withholding system, and the corporate income tax.

This means you keep all of your paycheck. Everyone in America without exception. That's the Fair part, no favouritism, no special interest. This also means that companies no longer have to worry about collecting taxes on their income from the consumer (because think about it, if a corporation gets a tax increase, who pays? The consumer because the coprporation just raises their prices to compensate for the tax.) Therefore, the cost of good and services go down without a built in tax.

Then, in its place, setup a federal sales consumption tax of %23 on all goods and service. We do have to pay the bills and %23 makes sure we have just as much money coming in to keep going... but in this way, everyone sees the taxes very openly. And you only pay taxes when you buy something (as opposed to right now where you pay taxes just from trying to make money for yourself.)

Is this the right answer? I sure like it, and i've been through the numbers. You can too if you have the patience. http://www.fairtax.org Decide for yerself. :) There's more to the plan, but I don't wanna bore people...

35. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

To add to kanchou's statement to break it down we are getting taxed twice now coroprate tax and out of our check. and the low income folks are really taken care of with the prebate. it won't be a need to go over seas to get it when the fair tax is in place cause it would cost more to do it that way.