Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Apr 12, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Who here can lay fiberglass? I have a minor project I need it for but not sure I want to figure out how to do it myself. :)

2. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i hear its rather simple, but very tedious work. My supervisor builds fiberglass enclosures often at work but hes been very busy latly. Is there like a website that gives you instructions or anything?

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I've read up on how to do it, I just don't WANT to.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Not I said the Admin.

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

shoot amol a pm..he might be a bit more skilled after designing the fitment for his display

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I helped my former roommate lay some motorbike fenders and honestly he made it look easy even though he has very limited experience. We basically just learned through trial and error.

Basically if you can apply bondo you can make fiberglass pieces. Unless of course you want to use actual fibers. That's kind of complicated, but if you can deal with just using sheets and resin then it's pretty easy.

7. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

i worked at a race shop 2 summers ago doin carbon fiber n fiberglass parts... but it sucks

8. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I'm rebuilding a section of my fibreglass RB5 spoiler. About to do some grinding then its time to lay the thin strips of fibreglass mixed with resin. NAPA has the fibreglass prepair kit i got, not bad value really and seems like it will do the job.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

How much material did they give you in the kit?

10. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i know my father will be teaching me how to lay fiber glass soon, so the project legy can be all plastic like :D:D

11. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

did they give you a bag, breather, etc so all the excess resin isnt left on the part(reduces weight) ;)