Film: No Country for Old Men

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by baddriver, Nov 26, 2007.

1. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

This weekend I just saw No Country for Old Men which was written and directed by the Coen brothers, and I have to say that in my opinion this is the best all around movie I've seen in years.

This film is a well written and directed creepy dramatic film that bucks the typical Hollywood movie production formula. I'm not into throwing out spoilers so I won't go into the plot, but I will say that for 122 minutes there was no filler, a lot of attention to dialog and character development, and I was horrifically entertained.

Reviews:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_country_for_old_men/

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

This movie is awesome.

I watched it Sat. night and agree that it's one of the best movies I've seen in a looooong time.
    Really couldn't have said it any better than baddriver did above, but this is a great movie.

Do yourself a favor and go see it.

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Whats the general plot? I remember the preview had me wanting to watch it but I can't recall what it was about...

4. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Was there music in the movie at all except for the ending credits?

good movie!

5. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

About the plot:
    The general plot is guy finds dope money and a psychopath tails him.

About the music:
    I don't recall any music in the film that wasn't in a scene that would have music in it or in the credits, it didn't need it.

6. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

that's good to hear. It got stomped in the box office by other movies and i was curious if it was just because it was atypical for most moviegoers. I'll have to check that out.

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've heard nothing but awesomeness about this movie. I am planning on asking a girl out this weekend, so maybe we can end up seeing it :)

8. bob30340

bob30340 New Member

The movie was based on a book by Cormac McCarthy. IMO he's the best writer alive.

Bob

9. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it....

Mark

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Late review... I really enjoyed this film up to the very end, then I wanted to smash my TV... WTF man, I though my burned DVD just cut off.. Ending turfed this movie for me..

11. As are pretty much all of there movies it does go against the grain of Hollywood.I do tend to like unusual movies esp. when they are done so well. But it is a bleak /dark movie.The acting and camera work were great.Worth watching if you are in the mood for something different.

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ I like against the grain, different, dark etc.... but that ending really pissed me off... Especially since it was a great movie until then..

13. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

great movie.

14. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

yea the ending was quite different..I'm like..uhh....ok...lol...good stuff though..been a while since I've seen it..need to watch again..

15. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I know a lot of people who didn't like the ending; personally I though it was a really good way to end the movie, but I am a big Coen brothers fan. All though Burn After Reading wasn't my favorite.

16. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I thought the ending was great. Its easily one of my top ten fav-O-rite movies of all time. There has never been a role more fitting for Tommy Lee Jones.

17. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I thought it was alright. Don't really get what the hubub is about. I am one of the ones that did not get the ending either. Then again if left to my own devices I will watch only moves based on comic books and stoner movies...

18. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I agree. Wasn't awful, but I wouldn't watch it again, nor would I recommend it as a 'good' movie. Nothing flowed to me, it was total randomness, and I never actually found a decent 'plot'.

Don't get me wrong, I like against the grain, but I also like movies that follow the path of introduction --> exposition --> climax --> de nu mont (sp...tying the knot). This movie did none of those...especially the ending.

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Tommy Lee Jones was awesome as usual, but I thought his role was small and didn't really use his talents... The guy who plays the main bad guy stole the show for me, he was awesome...