Finally upgraded my TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Sep 10, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Clicky here

Had a cheap 27" tube TV since 1995... was time to upgrade. We don't care for huge TVs so this seemed like a reasonable option. Awesome DVD performance w/ progressive scan; don't have HDTV here yet but when we do it'll be all ready! :bowdown:

2. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

That looks damn nice... i would love to have HDTV.. nice choice

3. Trey

Trey Active Member

Nice TV! HD is the shit, watching GA whip up on SC right now in HD. It's beautiful.

4. Is that one of those PC/TV features?

Pretty damn sweet

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

No PC, though it does have a VGA connector so I can play Doom 3 on it from my laptop...

6. If it has a VGA connector you can use the PC as well, if your video card can do it, that is

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, I mean it doesn't have a PC integrated... might have my terminology wrong. :) Does have component and composite video ins, S-vid, HDMI(?) connector, VGA etc.

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

Sweet, hook up your PC with a wireless keyboard and mouse and start surfing the net!! :D

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea htat is a nice tv

10. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

HD Rocks, I have an Older Model Philips, but You will definately enjoy it. Which serivce are you going to use, I had voom for the longest, but since they ended, I dont have any service, while I wait and see, just use it for DVD's+PC Basically.

11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Heh, I ended up returning this one this evening. Why? There was no way in hell to get regular non-HD and non-DVD content to look even halfway decent. As much as I loved the DVD/HD output on it (truly stunning) 95% of what we watch is still regular cable TV. Ended up getting a CRT HDTV instead as it still displays regular TV content perfectly fine and still produces HD/DVD image that's 90% of what the LCD did.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

WRXatlanta in 32" beautiful inches of wonderfulness :)

13. Hahaha, yeah, time for him to refresh his memory of the eye candy section...

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

You can get Free Local HD from using any UHF Antenna and mounting it either in your attic or on your roof and then connecting it to your HD receiver to decode the signals and display them on your TV.

Check out www.antennaweb.org for which one will work in your area.

15. Trey

Trey Active Member

Also, if you have Direct TV, their SD programming is horrible on a HD TV. THe CRT tv hides this fact but it's still there.

Example, your DVD player has 480 lines of resolution, so does Direct TV or any standard definition signal. Direct TVs signal looks like total crap because they highy compress the signals to cram more channels into their lineup, thinking we as consumers want more channels and not a great picture.

This has been the case for many years but with the explosion of HD TV sets larger than 40"s, consumers are demanding a betting picture so in response, Direct TV has launched two new satelites to allow for more channels and better picture quality. It should go live late this fall to early next year.

I'm holding out to see if the quality does improve, if not, I'm ditching the dish for good. The only reason I've continued to use them is that I'll get free equipment upgrades, from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 receivers, since I'm an existing customer.