F'ing Check engine light.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tward653, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Tward653

Tward653 New Member

Im driving home from work tonight and as I pull into my driveway I notice my Engine Light has just come on. I know it was off when I left work and the only thing I can think of out of the ordinary was a medium size puddle on the way home. Any ideas ? Anyone near tech have a scanner to get the code?

Thanks

-Tyler

2. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

As long as the check engine light is not flashing (indicating a misfire) it isnt super critical. However, you can have your codes pulled for free at autozone.

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

4. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yeah usually just a sensor. Emissions Sh*$, My girl friends 03 Accord threw a code with only 37K. Turned out to be one of the o2 sensors. Hard starts a little but not an emergent fix. Got the code run for free at auto zone....very cool deal!

5. EGT...well at least thats what mine thorws once in awhile when its cold cold outsides

6. Trey

Trey Active Member

The Autozone on Jimmy Carter Blvd will not clear the codes. They swear they will be fined by the EPA $50,000 because of emissions testing.

I made the guy let me press the "clear" button last time but come on!!

The one in Athens is cool. Anyone use the new one in Duluth? I have a code right now as well.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

When I was throwing misfire codes mine never blinked. Are the bugeyes different than the 04/05's? I threw misfires on all 4 cylinders after the first tune.

8. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Based on my limited knowledge and experience with Ford EEC IV system I thought you could clear the codes by disconnecting the battery completely and letting the car sit for about twenty minutes and reconnecting it. I know this brings the car back to a base line tuning map for timing/fuel/air but not sure about the codes. Good Luck

9. Trey

Trey Active Member

It won't clear the codes.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that will reset the ECU... in fact the reason u wait for 20 min is so any stray currents die... u can cut time down from 20 min to 5 sec if u simply get in the car and stomp on the brakes for 5 sec

11. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

milo is right reset the ecu and run it for like 80 miles and see if the code comes back

12. Tward653

Tward653 New Member

Hey thanks for all the input. I was going to wait until the weekend to see if it magically shut off before resetting it and sure enough it did. I remembered seeing the little sticker on my gas door that says" turn the gas cap tightly" or whatever or the check engine light may come on. and then I thought... hey... maybe i didn't tighten it enough when i fille dup the other day. so i unscrewed it rescrewed it and the next day it was off.. Thans for the help though.
    -Tyler

13. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Glad you started screwing correctly

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl:

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

:bigthumb:

16. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

lol yep that can doit. i always make sure i hear the cap click twice aftre tightening before i close the gas door. hope that was your problem. :sx:

17. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

Stop by the shop. We will pull the code for you. And we can clear it as well.

Tray M

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

But can you tighten his gas cap? :)