First Time At A Firing Range

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Suby1128, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

So my friend took me to the gun range for the first time ever. He's an ex-marine (3 days before going to iraq a land mine made to shoot up dirt to disorient you misfired and blew up when he stepped on it, destroying the ligaments in his knee). Anyways, it was a lot of fun, minus the amount of money I ended up spending on ammunition.

Rock River Arms .223 Entry Tactical AR-15
    [​IMG]

Remington 12 Gauge 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic (sorry, no picture yet)

Smith & Wesson SW990L Polymer Frame .40 handgun (sorry, no picture yet)

Looking forward to having the money to buy my own firearm. However, I think I'm going to stick to a handgun for home defense.

Mom will never allow a gun to be kept under her roof, so that won't be until I move into my own place.

Craig

2. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Shooting is a trip huh? Of course you have to respect the power and be safe at all times and all that, but it's actually a lot of fun once you get it all together.

I wish we spent more time on the range in my unit, but that's why I bought a handgun. So I could practice more.

3. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I'll tell you what, going to the firing range has given me a lot of respect for the power of a gun, as you will. It's something I don't think you'll know until you've fired one.

I had never really thought of it before, as I am a UK citizen but a US resident (allows me to shoot at a gun range, but not own a weapon). My parents are now US citizens, and my paperwork is going through and I should be a citizen within the year.

I was literally shaking after I first shot (he made me shoot the shotgun first). I couldn't believe how powerful it was. I always knew that guns were powerful and deadly, but I found out first hand just how much respect they need.

Of course the first thing he did was teach me the safety, which most was pretty much common sense (always aim the gun down range, finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire, check for brass in the barrel -not down the barrel-before and after shooting, etc)

Craig

4. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Right. I kind of grew up around guns since my step-moms side of the family was pretty country. But I found a new respect for weapons after I joined the Army as a tanker.

And I don't mean to downplay your experience at all, but once I saw a (roughly) 25 lbs. tank round fly downrange, and you can actually hear see it flying at 1,676 meters per second, I definitely knew it something to really respect.

Most soldiers carry an M16 or M4 like that one and even it demands a lot of attention. A few of us get to carry an M9 (Beretta).

5. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

Well I have to say that I really respect and thank all you guys in the military protecting us. It doesn't matter what side of the political fence you sit, those guys putting their lives on the line are doing a great job!

Part of me wishes I had signed up like my friend did, but that's a different story for a different time.

Craig

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'd like to own a gun, especially after being broken into while I was asleep in my house a couple weeks ago.

The US is one of the few countries where citizens can own their own weapons so take advantage of the privilege. They do take a lot of responsibility and I'd never pull one out unless I was ready to pull the trigger.

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I have a Rock river AR-15 too, it just has a regular stock on it and no flash supresser on the front.... Great rifle, never jams... I want an AR-10 though, just cant afford the $1300 price tag.