For those of you at&t fans out there...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

ibjason/nsv come in here and try to feed us the att kool aid.

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

That's Sprint status.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

I like 1 phone ATT carries. I don't like their service.

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Still loving my Droid....

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Does anyone really like their carrier? With ETFs, 2 year contracts, and hidden fees, I am not sure there is a "good" carrier one way or the other. Still ATT has been as arrogant as any major corporation for decades...

8. WJM

WJM Banned

I've never had one *REAL* problem with verizon. I've had a few "WTF is this shit?!" moments but after reading the fine print and federal gov bullshit, it made sense.

I like my HTC Droid Eris...

I like my Samsung A650 better. The A930 just plain sucks but its one tough phone. Its been in the drink 3 times and still flies well.

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I don't have an ETF, or a contract and my plan is cheaper because of it

10. nygiant

nygiant Member

i never had one problem when i had verizon, i just didnt like their phones. now that i have att for the iphone, i experience issues daily

11. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Yeah, thats because you have a corporate plan. Doesn't really count there duder...

12. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I have had my iPhone for over 1 year and I can't remember a single time I have had an issue with my service??

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

other than my wifi randomly stopped working on my iphone last week (apparently a common problem that is not fixable) i have had zero issues w/ at&t. and now my plan is cheaper than verizons new "amazingbestthingsinceslicedbread" $69.99 unlimited plan. i pay $63.42 a month.

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

No its because I own my phone out right. Anyone can get the same plan I have

15. Matt

isn't the only plan for that model phone?

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

No...you can either buy the N1 phone outright or sign up for a T-Mobile plan (500 minutes, + unlimited txt and web), which can be changed with a phone call to CS.

17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no, it's a generic google data plan with tmobile. when I signed up, the phone's IMEI wasn't even known (due to me beta testing the phone) so it's just listed as a G1 data plan

500 minutes, unlimited text and 3g data: $50/month

18. Matt

dang....and I heard that there was no voice capabilites for the Nexus One...

:rofl:

19. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

So you have a Nexus One? If you got the phone for free, awesome! If you had to pay the $529 outright, over a two year span you would come out only marginally ahead for the period of time versus phones on contract (at least based on my phone and plan...). Still, cool that you don't have to worry about a contract...

20. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

how are you paying so little with an iphone?

21. Matt

he works for google...he got the phone free. :)

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Waiting for review on Nexus One... From the early stuff I read, it doesn't do much the Droid doesn't, and it seems that stuff will be be added by a software patch/update to the droid in the near future... Also, it seemed to be a lot of voice command crap I don't use anyways.. Could be way off, can someone enlighten?

23. Matt

thought you were gonna switch to att JUST for the iphone and 'better' service?

24. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ lol.. keep in mind, I was going to switch because the service was 'better' only at my apt. and in my complex... not over all. But, after working with Verizon, it turns out they have a unit called a "Network Extender" that plugs into the back our your router and uses GPS to make a mini cell tower in your house. After hooking this up, I get full bars in the house. So, I stayed with Verizon and and got the Motorolla Droid, and never looked back...

25. Matt

good deal.

26. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I'm on AT&T for the iPhone. I get a discount because I know somebody, but this summer if/when verizon carries the iPhone, we will have to see... Personally I don't have a problem, and have never needed customer service with AT&T so I have nothing to complain about. Same with Comcast, I don't call customer service, so I don't have a problem with them.

27. WJM

WJM Banned

OH FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need that.

EVERY fucking building here in FL has almost zero service. Both houses I live in are shit and no signal inside.

I need to investigate getting this thingy at the house...

28. Matt

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

30. Matt

but at&t doesn't matter...did you not read the article?

:p

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You know AT&T has a contract with Verizon to be able to use any of their towers. So in reality AT&T has just as much coverage as Verizon.

32. Matt

yes, I know...just giving you crap. :)

WCDMA FTW

33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Wideband Code Division Multiple Access FTW indeed.

34. WJM

WJM Banned

35. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

If you give Verizon enough greef they will knock some of the price off... They determined I lived in a "marginal coverage area" and were gonna let me out of my contract. So, the unit is $250, and they had a $50 mail in rebate a few months back. Then they cut it down to $100 when I threatened to leave. A few negatives about the unit...
    1) It only gives full bars while your using it.. it doesn't seem to boost signal too much while just sitting around. But, as long as you have enought signal to receive a call, it will boost up once you answer.
    2) It doesn't work for text / picture sending or 3g.... which, to me is only a PITA if your trying to send a picture, cuz it seems to need a lot of juice to do that. 3g doesn't matter too much, if I do have to need to use my phone for internet in the house (which is not often with my PC sitting here), I can use wifi....

36. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I got tired of ATT's shit too. Was a pretty regular occurrence to drop a phone call even though there's a tower less than a mile away. Besides, there wasn't a single phone on ATT that I would want. So on to Verizon it was with the Droid. Loving it so far! Yet to drop a call, almost everywhere I get good signal and almost always have 3g even out in the middle of nowhere. May not be the fastest, but LTE should solve that around the beginning of next year.

Only issue with the switch is ATT told us our contract was up, when it wasn't. Now they want nearly 500 bucks to cover it. :unamused:

37. Matt

38. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

LTE begging of next year? Thats when the roll out starts, it'll be in a VERY few places. The backbones are NOT getting updated for a while after that ( meaning you'll still be suffering with sub megabit internet)

39. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I didn't read the article because i am still get lagged from being in Singapore. The title said somethign like they need to spend 5 billion to catchup? They spend 3 billion every year anyhow( more than another carrier).

40. Matt

keep spreading lies.

41. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

and since i have no brain of my own right now i am goign to post a nice comment i saw on that article... It sums up my feelings for AT&T basher bandwagon people.

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I ignored your quoted comment for two reasons:

1) the use of 'there' instead of 'their'
    2) anecdotal evidence

43. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

TL;DR

Coverage ≠ speed

lots of towers ≠ lots of land-based network speed

iphone ≠ advanced telecom device (oh the things they have in S Korea and Japan on their 30mps wireless connections... 5 years ago...)

suing competition ≠ effect counter marketing tactic.

44. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

And AT&T "customer service" is a joke. It took me 2 hours on the phone with three different "techs" for them to figure out that they forgot to turn on my service, and that's why my internet connection wouldn't work.

I know this isn't iPhone related, but AT&T does suck....

45. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

You havent had much experience with Verizon CS have you..?

Thats what i thought. GL with your 350+$ etf
    That and getting changed $1.99 for accidentally pressing the internet button on your feature phone. ( they make 36 MILLION on this yearly.)

46. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

I should have clarified. This is for DSL internet only, and at my place of business, AT&T was the only choice at the time. Once the morons at AT&T figure out how to TURN ON my service, I have had no problems, so I am hesitant to find out how they might botch up a termination request.

One of the most important things for business growth is getting NEW customers. The idiots at AT&T seemed to think that turning on service for a new customer was the hardest thing ever.

I have had issues with other media providers - Comcast, Sprint - those were small technical issues or errors that were usually resolved in a few minutes. But I have never seen in any other company the incredible level of incompetence that is displayed at AT&T. They couldn't even figure out how to turn my service on!

No experience with Verizon. At the very least the people at AT&T are English-speaking Americans, unlike Sprint had for a while.

47. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

citable reference plz kthx. must read up on this.

48. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

it was on gizmodo a while back... i'll see if i can find it.

49. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

50. techlord

techlord Active Member

I am only with ATT because lockheed has towers on site or I am told they do I know I get full signal underground in come cool areas of the heed.
    I will say their customer service is quite possibly the worst ever...they tried to right a wrong by giving me a $25 credit for 6 months only it was a CHARGE! Then could not get rid of it so I had a $50 credit to make it a wash. I am gone in < 5 months!!!