Freelance programming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bixs, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Anyone do any programming for hire? Please PM me, have a few questions.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

A little vague. What kind of programming are you looking for?

3. John

John Active Member

I can write you a program in QBasic...

well...

probably not. its been 15 years since QBasic has even crossed my mind

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, please elaborate.

5. thrasher722

thrasher722 Member

I have and/or do write code in:
    C, C++ (.NET and Qt libraries), Java, C#, VB, ColdFusion, PHP, ASP (.NET), CSS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Transact SQL), Bash shell

Currently learning Ruby to help a friend with his start-up and am between jobs b/c I was laid off :| (should have a job within a month, just waiting for the paperwork to get finished)

I live in Warner Robins so I might be to far away, let me know if you are interested. I am almost done with my summer class (for my masters) and don't have time for anything for a couple more weeks.

6. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Vague, but wasn't asking anyone if they wanted to do some programming. Have questions on the process of doing freelance programming.

7. thrasher722

thrasher722 Member

Most people I know that do that type of programming create their own contracting company that only employ's them self. You can get some awesome tax write offs because you are the owner of your own company. Just an idea. I only know a couple of people that do that type of work because the benefits offered by companies (insurance and retirement) usually keep people from doing that.

Best bet would probably try to find a start up to work for. The one I am going to help a friend with is based out of NYC and we are using http://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/ to handle our project, good luck.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You'll definitely want to incorporate yourself as the sole-proprietor approach is a serious pain in the ass. Give me a call if you have any questions or need suggestions. LLCs are easy, effective and low cost nowadays. However, be prepared to enjoy the additional taxes you'll incur such as self-employment tax (~15.8%) and the tax liability of income generated by your business (100% liability).