Fried Turkey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRXCoupe, Nov 26, 2008.

1. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

So any unique T-Day recipes or dishes on the menu. Anyone going to light their house on fire frying Turkeys:eek:hnoes:

2. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

a friend of mine got an infrared fryer this year...

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

fried turkey is ok, not the best recipe in the world. Ha I think the only reason it's popular is because so many people have been bruning down their houses in the last few years. I personally just like good quality seasoned turkey from the oven.

4. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I use a convection oven. Brine the Turkey for 24-36 hours. Rub the skin down with peanut oil. Chop and tuck fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme between the flesh and skin. Sausage/Apple and breading stuffing.

Brown the Turkey and then flip it breast side down, cover it and cook, when it's done I flip it and turn it on broil for a few minutes to crisp the skin, constantly baste it as well. Always turns out good.

Most unique Turkey's I have done were "Jerk Turkey" and "Curried Turkey". both were phenomenal!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I've fried turkeys before and they are really tasty if they are done right. The only problem is the cost of the peanut oil. It's like $50 to fill up my fryer. IMO it's only worth it if you can fry a few and have some people pitch in for the oil.

Last year I smoked one on my Big Green Egg and that was one of the best turkeys I've ever had.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

^^^ yes forgot about the cost of peanut oil. And I have heard of smoking but never really thought to try it. Hmm, maybe next year

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

MMM Turkey, Ill eat it anyway you want to cook it.

8. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

has anyone ate a turducken? its a chicken stuffed inside a duck and then the duck stuffed inside a turkey. sounds interesting,just wondering if anyone has had it.

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

place alluminum foil on ground, insert stick into middle of it. Open beer can and shove inside turkey, then stick turkey and beer can on stick leaving turkey just above ground level. Place small metal trash can or container around turkey. Lastly take hot coals from bar-b-q and place them around trash can. Allow a few hours to cook, placing new coals around can as needed.

Yummy yummy

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

turducken is amazing.

easiest way to make sure your turkey doesn't suck is to BRINE IT. doesn't matter the cooking method, if you brine it, it will be awesome.
    and if you haven't started brining it yet, well it's almost too late and you've ruined thanksgiving yet again. bravo ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008