Front clip removal

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 2thAche, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 2thAche

2thAche Member

My front fascia (nose) has been a bit loose for a while, the seams between it and the front fender are wider than they should be. There is damage to some of the connecting points in the wheel well etc. I want to take it off and see what all may be broken and need fixing/replacement.

How big a job is this? Time/difficulty?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Front clip as in Engine Bay/entire front end of the car?

Shouldn't it be welded together with the frame?

3. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Oh sorry I just mean the front fascia, not the frame of the car. Fixed.

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

It's not a big job. Just make sure you're careful with the headlights. The tabs will break.
    Otherwise, it's just ~6 bolts/nuts to pull to get the fender off.

Timewise, I've no idea, all depends on how careful you are and want to be with the paint.

I say do it. It'll be a great learning experience.

5. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I want to do mine as well for the same reasons I can actually see two tabs broken. I just havent found the balls to do it yet. shoot I might try this later....

6. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Can't be harder than swapping out the turbo was. **shudder** Next time I have a free Sat I'll start in the morning. I'll watch the headlight tabs.

7. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Just got done doing this and I almost wish I didnt.

here is the rundown- 6 tabs missing, 1 clip broken, a couple of screws missing, and it looks like the the frame/radiator support is slightly pushed in still not allowing the bumper and other bits to not align straight also causing the drivers side headlight is pointing down a bit. I called Classic Subaru and took pics hopefully there will be some sort of resolution.

In other news the it took me an hour and a half to take the bumper off its fairly easy to do.
    I used this right up from IWSTI
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/82589-07-front-bumper-removal.html

8. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Awesome, thanks for the link. I have a feeling I'll be finding stuff broken or bent also. I know a few of the connectors in the wheel well are broken off, plastic ones.

9. pEd

^^ yeah, I don't remember those connectors being a "cheap" replacement either.

Rome, sorry to hear your "alignment" didn't go well. Sure would've been easier had you two been up here. :fawk: ;)

10. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

lol I was actually think the whole time hmmn I could so see Ped doing this for fun

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  11. pEd

Haha... I'm not going to lie, mines been off several times.

12. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Mine will have to come off at least twice, once to see what is broken, then again to get parts and fix.