Front LSD.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluetwo, Mar 29, 2006.

1. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I put this here because it's not a serious contemplation yet and it really doesn't matter that much to me if the thread gets jacked.

But I've been wondering about a front LSD for the WRX, if anyone makes one, if the STi's is swappable and if one could get one installed could it have any adverse affects without doing a front and rear at the same time.

It could be in a technical forum but it'll probably get more responses here. I hope it's not too noobish. :eek:

2. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

why not look at a rear LSD :D:D old legacy turbos have them :D:D

3. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

REAR LSD!!!
    that's the way to go
    who needs front wheels ?

lol *pay no mind to mr. 2 way kaaz lsd with big ass rear tires on a rwd vehicle guy* *hey I can still do donuts post wreck! wahoo*
    lsd = the mad tyte shiznat yo lol (that statement made me hit vtec)

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

WRXs have a stock rear LSD.

I think that a front LSD install would be really costly since it involves pulling apart the whole transmission. Just swap in a JDM non-DCCD 6speed with a Suretrac front LSD. You could probably pick up one of them for mid $3K and then sell your old tranny for a little bit.

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

Good idea but you woul dhave to change the rear ring and pinion gears that lsd. The center diff of the WRX(02-05,the 06 now has a 1:1 center diff) is 1.1:1. The front diff is a 3.9 and the rear is a 3.60. i don't know why they did that but they did. The center diff of the 6speed tranny is 1:1. Also to make the 6 speed swap work you would need a 6speed clutch,flywheel,driveshaft,the tranny,the rear end gears. I think that is all. The part run about 5K for everything you need to do the swap. Add labor from there.

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

WRX rear is actually a 3.54 I think. You can get older Legacy Turbo rear ends which are a 3.9 LSD rear or regear the old one. Driveshaft is an automatic driveshaft (I'll shamelessly plug that I've got my old one for sale :naughty: ). You might possibly need new axles depending on if you're unlucky and get a newer 6speed.

You can do it on a budget if you can sell your old transmission in some decent condition, some guy on Nasioc did a nice writeup including how to reuse a WRX flywheel and clutch on the 6speed (something about just using different clutch fork)

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Hmm. Good responses.

Are you sure the 06 WRX has a rear LSD? The stuff I've read suggests that it doesn't but I guess you ought ta know.

And I know that a bigger front sway bar would take a lot of the understeer out but that takes away from some of the cars safety.

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

yeah the 06 still has a read LSD and a center lsd for lack of a better term. front diff is still open

9. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah. I hate to say it but I think my car, in stock form, actually understeers worse than my old Civic did. :eek:

The extra power probably has a little to do with it too.

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

If you put a larger front and rear bar on the car it is perfectly safe. I ran with a 24mm front and a 22mm rear and it would still understeer at the absolute limit of grip. I had the rear bar at 24mm when I had the wreck though. :p In the wet with 24mm front and rear you could get the tail to slide a bit and in the dry you could get oversteer if you were not careful.

11. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

that clears it up