Front Mount

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by josh booth, Nov 22, 2006.

1. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

How much change would it be on my 03 wrx going from a sti top mount to a front mount?

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

What turbo

3. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

About a 1000rpm's!:eek:hnoes:

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

exactly my question.

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

oh not that much! depending on turbo anywhere from 200-500rpms

6. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Stock for now

7. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

i saw about 300rpm spool difference with 18g turbo. However, I feel more lag especially at 1st and 2nd gear. you will gain more HP thru bigger turbo than upgrading to fmic.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Probably hurt you with stock turbo..... Damn it'll look cool though!

9. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

i would not upgrade to a FMIC unless there are plans for bigger turbos in the near future

10. slowwrx

What are youre plans for the car, autocross, track, street car, etc...

Matt

11. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

AIR-TO-WATER INTERCOOLER!!!

That is what i run and it is great, the turbo spools very fast & hard because the intake runner from the turbo to the throttle body is only 1 1/2 feet or so.

Also the intake temps stay pretty consistant also. NO TURBO LAG!

12. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Street car.

13. slowwrx

Large top mount will be fine.

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I'm not try to diss, but if your favorite mod is 19" ICW wheels then I assume you want the bling of the front mount. Performance wise, don't do it. BUt if you want "street cred" then go for it.

15. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I just like being difrent so it's cool.

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

You could line the entire intake (from filter to turbo to throttle to manifold) in peltier coolers. That would be extremely unique(you'd be the only 1) and every computer mod'er would be jealous. ;)

17. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

I've been fooled a couple of times thinking some Honda's or Celica's had a front mount intercooler on them, but it turned out to be a CAI intake that mounts in front of the radiator. I don't suggest this with the Suby, because it would be like sipping out of a 10ft. straw. Just get the mesh grill insert, it sort of looks like a front mount.

18. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I like the top mount i just asked a simple qustion what whould a front mount do for my car.

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i wouldnt go with a front mount unless im upgrading turbos

20. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Thanks miloman

21. Greg

Greg Active Member

Come on guys, lets not be like NASIOC

22. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

We'd need about 10,000 people posting off topic all day long where every other post is "FTW" or "lol" or "WAPCE" first. :)

23. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

off topic: inter-foolers rule!!!! :ddirty:

on topic: I agree with Milo...bigger turbo would be the only thing that would lead me towards a front mount...otherwise it'd probably be too laggy

24. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

to answer the question...not much

-you may pick up a few horses on the road

-you probably will lose alittle responsiveness since you're on the stock turbo

-you will like the way it looks

-you will have to re-learn the power characteristics of the car. a guy had mahdavi motorsports install the perrin fmic (way to big for a stock td04) on his wrx. he actually came back the same day saying that boost response was weird and had to have sam check to make sure no piping was loose. he said that boost was off and responsiveness was slower.

25. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

yeah i actually stopped posting over there.......i didn't feel like going into E-Combat:hsnono:

26. karr83

karr83 New Member

Yeah... That actually was me. It was a total learning experience. Once I got a Protune from Doug at Topspeed, I became a very happy camper with the FMIC upgrade. 268whp and 264 lbs/ft torque on pump gas with the stock turbo. Very smooth delivery and it never stops coming.