Fun fact for the day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Jun 24, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

"Ye" in signs like "Ye Olde Tavern" is actually pronounced "the." It used to be the letter "thorn": þ.

When printing presses became common in England in the 15th century it was substituted with 'y' which looked pretty close to a handwritten thorn. Why? The printing presses were brought over from continental Europe, where the letter thorn was not used.

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yup and right before you have to take a shit your stomach usually starts hurting :keke:

3. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

tell me moose do you have uncle johns bathroom reader? cause i do and it had almost the same explaination in it. lol

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Nah, I just collect all sorts of useless information for some reason.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

A wise man once told me Kris that, if you want to shit with ease, you must first put your elbows on your knees and squeeze.

great fact ;)

6. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

did you know that GOLF (the sport that originated in scotland) is actually an Acronym for the first rule made for the game: Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden. The name has stuck with it ever since.

Craig

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I ate a Quiznos Chicken Mesquite Sandwhich for lunch....it's a fact....

Oh and a less obscure fact is:

In 1750 there were about 800 million people in the world. In 1850 there were a billion more, and by 1950, another billion. Then it took just 50 years to double to 6 billion. See where this is headed???

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

blame india and china... we like to procreate

9. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

milo just likes to practice procreation.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

That one's an urban legend actually:
    http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/golf.htm

11. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

By himself.... :keke::jerk:

12. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Heh. I check almost anything I hear/receive through email there. It's a very cool site, and sometimes the actual story behind something is more interesting than the legend.

14. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

watch out guys or alex will post the infamous "Well, let it be known that I like Skittles and sometimes M&M's" fact! But seriously, did you all know that acetylene burned in pure oxygen is hotter than ths surface of the sun?

15. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

grr, well I like the Gentlemen Only; Ladies forbidden version better :p

Craig