Ga emissions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Willsanches, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

My buddy was telling me that cars 95 and up can pass emissions with no cats. I've always heard otherwise and I'm getting mixed answers from searching. I know i cant have any cel, im not worried about that. Can anyone shine some light on this. I'm about to throw on a catless up and down pipe and wondering if I should go get my emissions done first.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Do the swap after the inspection

3. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Coming from a guy who swapped his exhaust every year. In GA, they do visual inspections. That means, they need to see that cat, visually. I always kept my stock exhaust system, swapped it out for emissions when needed.

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

I've never had a problem, all depends on where you go. No visual=pass with proper EM.

5. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Not that it matters, but it's actually model years 1996 and up that do not have to have the "sniffer test" done, as 96 was the first year of OBDII diagnostics.

Everyone who has already posted is correct. You can pass based on the diagnostic scan, but if they do a visual you probably won't unless you have an aftermarket downpipe with a high-flow cat (they really don't care what type of cat is there, as long as they see one).

I never had an issue passing with my 04 WRX with a high-flow, but I did get turned down a couple of times with my last car when I tried to go through inspection fully catless. Apparently the state has cracked down on some of the inspection stations, because a few years ago I recall it being rare to even see them do a visual. Now I ALWAYS see them do one- at least in my county, anyway.

Maybe you'll get luckier in your area, but I just ended up swapping exhausts the last few times.

6. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

Thanks everyone!

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

"You see that up pipe? No? Well there is a cat in there. Comes from the factory like that. Please proceed with testing my vehicle."

8. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Exact same response I was given from emission places. "The state is real anal about the visual inspections, I can't pass you this time." This came from a guy who did my emissions for years without doing visuals.

9. Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

Yeah my car is catless I just got my emissions done. First time was really annoying but this last time was a breeze. I am going to put a heat shield on my pipes so I can just point at the "cat".

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Get it done downtown at a corner shop. They're too lazy to bend over and look.

11. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Or just use a downpipe with a cat, then you will never have to worry!

12. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yep, spend more money, makes alittle less hp(atleast with cars making 300+whp)

Or tell them cat in the uppipe, which they couldnt see even if they wanted to.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Actually, I tried that. Thought I was being extremely ingenious with that statement, especially since I had a factory catless up-pipe that was heat wrapped and could have very well had something under the wrap.

First station I went to said, "sorry, the convertor has to be visible." I quietly left since they didn't charge me for an inspection.

Went to another place, and tried to act upright and indignant when they told me the same thing. I argued briefly, and the guy just looked at me and said:

"Sir, I'm not going to argue with you. I have to be able to see the converter, and there isn't an unmodified turbo car out there that doesn't have a converter somewhere after the turbo. I use to hop up cars, and I know what I'm doing. I'm sorry, but I could lose my job if I pass you."

I just smirked. "We'll, you can't blame me for trying."

At that point he actually laughed and told me to please just switch my exhaust, come back, and he'd only charge me once.

I'm not saying "the up-pipe is catted approach" won't work, but I am telling you I tried it twice, and got shot down both times. Worth a try, I guess, but they have genuinely cracked down in some areas. I was really surprised by both of my experiences because I'm usually left with the impression that the inspection guys don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.

Maybe it's just my luck.

14. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; ThunderBolt Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I'll agree with k.marx. this year took a fair bit of effort to do emissions, after 3 tries I finally passed. Now I'm wondering about going catted since I'm tired of the heater sucking in the smelly fumes in the winter.

15. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Is it illegal to have removed post turbo cats while still having one in the up pipe? Why not show him the subaru exhaust schematics, verbally tell him you removed the post turbo cats, and you kept the pre turbo cat.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

It's just like the cops, DON'T volunteer info... this pretty much covers any an all Clean Air Act locals,

Yes, if you get caught. No, if you don't. But if you live in an area that requires periodic emissions testing, you probably won't get past an emissions check with missing or disconnected emission controls.

WARNING: Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device. The Environmental Protection Agency and most states have actually been rather lax about enforcing this rule on motorists, but they haven't hesitated to nail professional service facilities that have been guilty of tampering. Even so, the fines can be hefty. A violation may make you liable for up to a $2,500 fine!

No Tampering
    The federal anti-tampering law does not, however, apply to race cars that are not operated on the street, other full-time off-road vehicles, show cars that are not street driven, or vehicles not factory equipped with emission controls (most 1967 and earlier vehicles). So that exempts all antique cars, and most classic cars and muscle cars.

Revisions to the Clean Air Act in 1990 further broadened the definition of emissions tampering to include virtually ANY type of engine or exhaust system modification that alters what comes out the tailpipe. That means any nonstock aftermarket part that is installed on your engine must be EPA-approved and emissions legal (except on the exempt vehicles previously noted).

Before the law was revised in 1990, it was only illegal for professional mechanics to remove or disconnect emission control devices. There was nothing to prevent a motorist from tampering with their own vehicles. That loophole has since been plugged.

What Is Emissions-legal?
    Any of the following may be considered emissions tampering and get you into trouble:

Removing the EGR valve or plugging its vacuum lines
    Removing or disconnecting the PCV valve
    Removing the stock air cleaner and heat riser duct plumbing
    Removing the catalytic converter
    Removing or disconnecting the air pump
    Removing or modifying the stock distributor vacuum advance/retard
    Altering the stock ignition advance mechanism or timing curve
    Replacing the stock distributor with an aftermarket unit that is not emissions certified
    Modifying, removing or replacing the stock computer or PROM chip with a non-certified component
    Blocking the heat riser duct under the intake manifold
    Knocking out the filler restrictor on the fuel tank inlet pipe
    Replacing the stock non-vented gas cap with a vented cap
    Removing or disconnecting the fuel vapor recovery canister
    Changing the idle mixture or stock carburetor jetting
    Removing or modifying the carburetor choke
    Modifying or replacing the carburetor accelerator pump with non-certified components
    Installing an intake manifold or racing manifold that lacks provisions for the stock EGR valve and/or a heat riser duct
    Installing a carburetor that lacks the stock emission hookups
    Installing non-certified fuel injectors
    Installing a long duration "racing" cam that is not emissions-certified
    Installing exhaust headers that lack provisions for a heat riser valve, an air cleaner preheat stove or fittings for an oxygen sensor (if required)
    Installing valve covers with open breathers or no fittings for a PCV valve
    Installing any induction, fuel or ignition system component that is NOT emissions legal
    Aftermarket parts manufacturers who make nonstock performance parts for engines, the fuel, ignition or exhaust systems must apply for special certification for any parts they want to sell as being emissions-legal. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has been the leading government body in this respect, so most submit their proposals to CARB.

First, they must submit detailed proof in the form of laboratory dyno test that document their part does not have an adverse effect on exhaust emissions. These tests are very expensive and must conform with specified test procedures. CARB then reviews the data and may or may not ask for additional information and/or testing. If the product meets CARB's criteria, CARB issues an "executive order" (EO) number (also called an "exemption" number) certifying that the part is in compliance with the applicable clean air rules.

An EO number means the component can be legally manufactured, distributed, sold and installed on a street driven vehicle in the state of California. It also means the component is legally acceptable in all 50 states because the federal Environmental Protection Agency also recognizes the CARB exemption program as meeting their "Memorandum 1A" requirements for certifying emissions legal parts.

Buying Emissions-legal Parts
    Virtually all stock replacement parts are emissions-legal regardless of who makes them. But if you're buying any nonstock performance parts, heed the following to make sure you're "safe" from an emissions standpoint:

* Look for wording on the box that says the product is emissions legal or emissions certified for street use in compliance with the EPA and/or CARB rules.

* Look for the EO (executive order) exemption number issued by the California Air Resources Board on the box, product or in the catalog. Remember, the product must have an EO number to be street legal.

* If there is no EO number and one is required to be street-legal, it cannot be legally installed on a street-driven vehicle. Period.

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

or move to/open a PO box in a county that doesn't have emissions and register your vehicles there.

18. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

It depends on how well you know your emissions guy. I once asked how much does it cost to pass emissions, and he simply replied 100 bucks. So 100 bucks gave me a passing emissions report. (this was for an OBD I car, 91 civic)

I passed my emissions with the same guy once with an open downpipe on my 02 wrx, which was in the process of tuning, and had the tuner use the ECU to say, "naw, no problems here". or whatever.

19. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Those types are increasingly hard to find, and regular inspection is $25 around my parts. Eh, for $75 I'd rather just swap out my downpipe. Hell, it doesn't even have to seal up right just for emission check purposes.

20. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

The above being said, I'd be asking you to pm me his number if you were in Fulton county, lol. I've worked on a lot of shot pre obd2 cars that could use a ”favor.”

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

can't do that as easily with the new bullshit

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

And this is the reason they have come down hard on inspection sites. They busted someone here for 100's of fake tests, it was on the news last year.

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

that and supposedly the whole state is going to emissions in a few years. had to pass them out here (texas) too.

24. b reel

b reel Active Member

been threatening that for years, much rather see a safety inspection instead

25. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

Didn't expect this much input, thanks to all. I'll probably go to the same guy I did last year. I have it cat back straight piped right now. Last year I put my stock cat back on before I went to emissions. The guy didn't check a single thing as far as visual inspection. He was even smoking a ciggerette the whole time, even when he was messing a with the gas cap lol. So he doesn't strike me as a guy that will actually take the time to check

26. The whole state will probably never do emissions.Its not practical for some areas.My guess is at some point in the next few years that the next wave of counties will be added to the metro area.That being the adjoining counties to the present ones that do emissions..

27. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

are emissions really a bad thing? You guys act like they're the fucking devil, sent down to rain on your parade. I don't mean to sound all high and mighty, but is less than 1% (in both monetary terms and power terms) really that much to pay?

...maybe i'm just getting old...

28. b reel

b reel Active Member

are you related to Lil Jew? reads like it