Ga Headlight Laws

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Goose013, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Goose013

Goose013 Member

anyone know the laws concerning headlights and whether it is illlegal to put a colored rockblocker film over them such as smoked or yellow?

2. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

sog sells a few that have the smoked covers, so i wouldn't think its illegal. where's blueline?

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I believe married04LGT (i think thats the right username) had them when he had a wrx. I think he custom made smoked lenses...I dont think they are illegal

4. RADON

RADON Member

This can be interpreted as no covering period.
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=40-8-22

However, this could be interpreted as long as you can see 500' ahead.
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=40-8-20

Either way, I think in and around Atlanta you wouldn't get harrassed. But, if you head out to the suburbs and places where the Johnny Law has more free time, you might not be so forturnate.

Also, FWIW, I have my tails smoke tinted and from what I read, it's perfectly legal as long as they are visible from 300'.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  5. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

well if you feel like splitting hairs:
    "The headlights required by this Code section shall be maintained in proper working condition and shall not be covered by any type of material, provided that the covering restriction shall not apply to any vehicle on which the original factory headlights were covered."

you could go buy the covers available at SoG that they put on their WRXs, and call it factory/oem covers.

but yeah, at the end of the day if you're in pohdunk county, you're at the mercy of johnny law, and his cousin/brother jeb judge.

6. Goose013

Goose013 Member

that's what I thought, you can buy em' but better not install em'...oh well

7. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

if u have it dont worry the 1st times always a charm u will be warned but then 2nd time if it's not the same cop, ur warned again.. 3rd time u wouldn't be that lucky..

8. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I think as long as it doesn't look like your blacked out completely you could be ok.

9. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I don't feel like getting harassed by billy bob, I've been in enough trouble already.

10. RADON

RADON Member

I put the same smoked film on my fronts that I currently have on my tails. I liked the looked but they cut down way too much of the light for me to see well. I removed them the next day.

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

If you're doing it for looks I'd reccomend doing the Koji mod or any variation of that. If it's for rock-blocking protection I'd reccomend going clear. Usually this type of thing wouldn't be enough to get you pulled over for, but if it was some jackass cop that pulled you over for a speeding ticket or traffic violation he might get you for that too.

I'm from a suburb of Augusta and cops definitely had a lot more free time on there hands. I've known scenarios to go both ways when it comes to things like this. I've had one friend with 20% tint on the front windowns of his truck get pulled over for it and had to get it removed. Then on the the other hand I've had a friend with double 5 on his side and back windows and 5 on the front. He got pulled over for wreckless driving and the cop said nothing about his tint.

So, that probably doesn't help any other than to show you it's kind of a gamble.