Gauge question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by married05gt, Mar 17, 2005.

1. married05gt

married05gt starting over

Hey guys I just bought a boost gauge and air ful gauge to go with my pod I got from milo. Just wondering if any one can help me with the install. What tools will I need etc...the gauges are auto meter and it is an apiller pod.

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

im not to familiar with aftermarket gauges but i wouldnt mind coming by for support and some beer!! :D

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

What Air Fuel, Make sure you are not tapping into any of the factory O2 Sensors or it will definitely throw an O2 CEL. I have an autometer and they sell an O2 Senors Kit that comes with all the wiring and an O2 Sensor, When I had Porter install my uppipe and downpipe I had them Weld on Bungs for O2 and for EGT. I put the O2 in my old WRX wiring it to one of the factory sensors and it threw a CEL and the Subaru Dealership voided my warranty because of it.

4. married05gt

The air fuel that I got has 3 little wires I will bring it to the dyno day. The one u have know jason did it have the three wires mine is also an autometer.

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

The boost is easy. Never did an AFR. I need to break down and reinstall my boost guage. I want to get an EGT and oil pressure to finish out my gauges.

6. Weapon

i think i might go with the ecutek display that milo and mike have..has all the info without the clutter of 3-5 gauges. plus its secksy

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

good choice man...

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

For some reason I can't bring myself to spend 700 bucks on one. Especially since I have to run a seperate pyrometer probe to get EGT's on it.

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i didn't need any extra hardware with mine and it still reads EGT... maybe cuz mine's an 03? :confused:

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yes, my gauge had the 3 wires, but I bought the O2 kit from Autometer and it came with a the 3 wires and an O2 sensor.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

12. Weapon

after the cost off all your gauges plus pods you could easily spend much more than $700..unless you buy the pep boyz brand that has 3 sunbelt gauges for $99 bux..

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

He speaks the truth... couple of decent electronic gauges and you're at $150-ish a gauge.

I'm probably sticking with my boost and oil temp gauges, then adding the monitor like Milo has. Regarding EGT, I thought the monitor read the EGT from the uppipe (factory), but you can add a separate probe for getting it from the manifold.

BTW, the $30 O2 sensor kit likely won't be wideband.. just keep it in mind, not quiet as useful as a WB setup.

14. married05gt

who makes a wide band gauge that will work off the stock 02 sen. I'm not real happy with spending $30 for 02 and how ever much it cost to get the 2nd bung welded on the midpipe.

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Not sure if it is Wideband or not, honestly, A/F is just a dancing gauge that serves no real purpose, all said and done I spent $50 for Boost, $50 for A/F and $30 for O2 Kit, $130 for EGT and $109 for a 3 gauge A Pillar pod, all gauges are mechanical Autometer Sport Comps and the A/F is Electronic. So for around $400 you get a nice gauge setup that is easy to read at a glance.

16. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I can do boost, but never tried AFR

17. married05gt

I think I will take the afg back to nopi and try to find a single gauge pod for the boost.

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You pretty much described a narrow band sensor setup there. Wideband will let you know exactly what your a/f ratio is, narrowband will pretty much tell you only if it's really off in either direction....

Wideband is useful when tuning or when you have a highly modded car. Narrowband makes for a shiny pretty light show, but that's about the extent of it...

19. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I would not recommend A/F as a gauge to get though, I only have it because I took it off my old WRX.

20. longfury

longfury Active Member

I dunno but on Ecuteks website is says you need seperate EGT probe to get EGTs. So i dunno what the deal is then.

Quoted from Ecutek website

"Additional sensors can be added to display exhaust gas temperature and oil pressure for example."

So go figure

21. Weapon

ecutek can see all the sensors that are already on the car..including EGT's..hmmm..kinda wierd

22. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

thats what i thought too... but mine reads egts and it simply plugs into the OBD2 connector

23. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

as far as i kno, AFR gauge will void warranty which is stated in the bulletin letter that SOA sent to dealers. I wanted to get EcuTek Data monitor, but its EGT temp is from Uppipe. My UP does not have bung for EGT sensor, so which was useless to me. Plus EGT at UP is NOT accurate as other EGT gauge whose sensor is installed close to the cylinder as much as possible.

Boost and EGT gauge are most important gauges that you should have in order to keep your car out of trouble. Others are for just monitoring for possible trouble.