Generic 3 inch gaskets

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by shiftynick, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Anywhere around town I can pick a couple of these up? Preferably close to downtown.

Also, while I'm here, I picked up this odd rattle sound lately that literally sounds like a little piece of metal is hanging out at the bottom of my downpipe. Its annoying as shit and I haven't been able to source the location yet. This jump out as anything in particular to anyone?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

autozone or advance will have them

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Do you hear the rattling from inside the car or outside? An exhaust leak sometimes sounds like metal tapping rapidly so you could have a small one, or your dp could be rubbing somewhere like mine was. For me its the little flange that hangs off of the dp, mine wasn't bolted so the dp sat at a wierd angle that barely rubbed but certainly was anoying as you can hear it whenever releasing the gas pedal.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

heat shield..

5. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

oh word, i could have sworn i tried them before and the didn't have the right ones..

I can hear it inside only because it's so loud. I don't feel the vibration. I spent about an hour under the car banging around and saw no evidence of rubbing or anything that was loose. Tapping the downpipe with a rubber mallet still sounded like there was something in it, but i dont see how that possible. I check the rear O2 and its fine.

Nope, no heat shield right there and I just recently cleared a rattle in the rear heat shield.

6. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

Rattle found

An update here: turns out the rattle I'm hearing is my wastegate... not sure how I remedy this without getting a new turbo... any danger of this causing any catastrophic damage?