genesis coupe

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Feb 4, 2009.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

what is your take on the genesis coupe?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Looked pretty sweet in the commercials during the Superbowl... Hate to sound shallow though, but I don't think I could get over the brand.. not enough to buy one anyways.

PS.. ^^^ Yucky post count.. post something else quick :)

3. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

How would you notice something like that? :hsugh:

I would buy one.

4. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I would buy one for the right price the options are very cool! The car companies that are trying to stay afloat right now are not going to produce junk and I definitely like the Turbo rwd drive that shit is fun as hell! Looks like a tuner car as well.

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/coupe/

5. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

They did a nice job on the website at least.

6. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

looks pretty cool, g35 coupe-like

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

looks nothing like the sedan. I like how they filmed the commercials at R.A. :D :bigthumb:

I'd rock one

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I'd drive the hell out of it.

9. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i would drive the hell out of one... they really made a point to show its rwd, seems like every clips it was kicking it almost lol

10. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

+1

The website is very cool.

11. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Shout at the devil...

And I want one

12. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Thats what I was gonna ask. Id drive one.

I saw this the other day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokgzMeHVf8

13. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  14. undrgrndrdr15

too bad they aren't putting there 8cyl engine in the coupe....

15. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ I'd bet a swap can't be too far off once they're actually on the road.

16. undrgrndrdr15

oh im sure, that will through people for a loop, clean car cant wait to see it drifted in the formula drift series

17. hmmm im considering one of these but def wont decide until its out

18. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I would totally rock one. They say that, aside from the turbo 4, the V6 is an amazing motor. Its got an awesome exhaust note and 306hp. o_O

[​IMG]

19. the turbo one would be more mod friendly though wouldnt it?

20. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

21. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

22. I cant watch youtube now that i'm at work but i'll see it once i get home. I'll have to see how the aftermarket is for both because i'm more than likely not going to have the cash to pay for a SC kit nor do i know much about how mod friendly V-6's are.

23. Deke

Deke Active Member

I would definitely rock one. I'd probably debadge it though :hsugh:

24. I read somewhere that the V6 had that VQ hollow sound to it...

25. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I predict many accidents from the rwd, high hp and cheap price combo.

The kiddies are going to be wrapping themselves around poles trying to be dorifto ninjas.

26. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yeah I bet insurance rates will sky rocket immediately!

27. damn i didnt even think about that and its a coupe too...maybe its not ment to be lol

28. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Cheap price? I heard it was near $32k? That's in the STi range and G35 range. I don't know too many kids being able to afford that.

I spoke to some ppl around me who are not car ppl and they can't get past the poor name brand. So this car will be popular with car nuts I think unless Hyundai tries to advertise smartly.

29. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I saw Hyundai and assumed "cheap". I guess I'm guilty of stereotyping the name association.

I'd rather buy a used C5 Z06 Corvette for that price.

30. Deke

Deke Active Member

2.0T 6 speed - $19,596
    2.0T Auto - $20,796
    2.0T Premium 6 speed - $21,996
    2.0T Premium auto - $23,196
    2.0T GT - $24,596

3.8L 6 speed - $26,396
    3.8L ZF Auto - $27,836
    3.8L GT 6 speed (full load) -$27,996
    3.8L GT ZF Auto - $29,436

Apparently these prices are estimated by taking the Canadian prices (already released) and applying the conversion rate. So these aren't carved in stone. But I don't see anything I'd be caught driving more than $28k :)

31. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You have to look at the market that the Hyundai Genesis is after though. It is not supposed to be competition for cars like the Honda Accord of Toyota Camry or Solara. It is supposed to be competition for the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes and Jaguar. Compared to the cars it is competing against, you get a huge bang for the buck.

On top of that, count in the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty, and their newest promotion of returning a car if you lose your income within a year, and Hyundai has a winning formula to ensure that they weather these tough economic times better than nearly any other car manufacturer.

32. FACE

FACE Active Member

others should take note from them...

33. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Besides Subaru. :keke:

34. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Just because Subaru ended 2008 with profit, and sales were still up for January, I don't expect it to last long. I would not be surprised to see Subaru sales start to drop to the point where they start going negative in the coming months. I hope I am wrong and Subaru continues doing good.

I am not saying that the same can't or won't happen to Hyundai, I just think that their offers make it less likely, and position them to be of the few to continue to turn a profit.

35. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

A name is a name...honestly, before buying my car, if you said Subaru I would've said a huge dyke must've been driving it.

It is what it is until you look farther into it.

This has great potential to squat all over some of the crappy gas guzzling american coupes like th mustang / camaro / challenger series. And like Jason said, their laid off / return policy is awesome, especially in these times.

36. undrgrndrdr15

the only thing that hyundai lacks is heritage, thats what seperates them from bmw mercedes jaguar and all the others... they have the goods just no meaning to their name unlike the other manufactures... i think the genesis coupe is a good way to start the heritage and in years to come hyundai will a significant name

37. yea before this i was like oh a hyundai :l to me it was like saying a geo metro but they have been getting better over the years

38. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I am waaaaaaaaaaay too shallow to drive one. I will never buy a Hyundai.

39. Deke

Deke Active Member

I would take any one of the "crappy gas guzzling american coupes" you just mentioned over a Hyundai. I like the Genesis a lot and all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Respect the v8. It paved the way for the little rice burners we ride around in. (and it's not like we get that great of gas mileage either).

Edit: Let me back track a little bit, because that came off kind of harsh. I would definitely consider buying the Genesis if I was in the market for a powerful RWD car. But, in no way, shape, or form would I consider any of the 3 cars you mentioned "crappy." I took offense to that and over reacted :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  40. 07Ltd#767

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. Well, sorta...I'd take a V8 American car, too, as long as I only had to drive in a straight line. And I also don't think American muscle had anything to do w/ the "rice burner" market other than opening peoples eyes up to lower costs and reliability. I think the 4-cylinder market has much more to do w/ rice burners being cheaper all around...be it cost, insurance, mods, or fuel.

I respect the V8 a lot, but in a lot of ways I don't. I'm getting close to 400 crank horsepower out of a 2.5 liter engine (almost 175 hp per liter)...most 5.0 liter engines on the American market can't do that (my 4.6 liter mustang probably had about 70 hp per liter). There is a replacement for displacement - it's called forced induction.

Either way, I'd still take one...for $40k (cost of a new STi), you could make that one little badass go-kart :D

41. Deke

Deke Active Member

For the longest time I thought the HP per liter argument was a pretty good one. Then a guy who drives a GTO (on IA of all places) put it in a respect that I had never thought of.

I agree that it is impressive how much hp certain little japanese engines make per liter. We'll use the S2000 for an example just being that it's NA. It makes 120 hp per liter. I think we can agree that's pretty nuts. Look at a GTO. It makes 400hp from a 6.0 liter. So 66.67 HP per liter. Not really all that impressive. However, the two get the same 25 mpg on the highway. So really, other than the cost of the metal used, the 2.0 liter isn't anymore efficient than the 6.0 liter. If you want to use the a turbo example, just look at the STI, it get's even worse gas mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2.0 liter car :) But I also loved my old 302 Mustang.

Also, in respect to the paving the way statement. You're right the technology of V8s didn't really attribute to the import scene. However, the muscle car era was what really brought the idea of fast cars on a budget to popularity (pretty much what you said I gather).

42. Deke

Deke Active Member

Very true :)

43. I work for Infiniti now and this car seems like an imitation g37 coupe.To me it will be hard to steal buyers from the brands that this car is looking to compete with.Image is very important to these buyers.

44. 07Ltd#767

Yeah, Deke, I agree with you there. The technology the new big blocks (well, small block V8's) are incorporating is unreal. They can gear a 6.0 liter engine with a cruising gear, get great gas mileage by not using 6 cylinders when not under load, but have that high torque at low RPM potential to turn those big gears. For me, though, it's all about the weight...that and their poor suspensions, I'd take a lighter go-kart for more fun.

And drooby put it best...image is everything to those buyers...until they foreclose on everything they own and are crawling in debt up to there eyeballs :keke:

45. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

This car is not competing with Infinity. The Coupe is not a luxury sports car. It is based on best bang for the buck performance philosophy. Like Liquid Force said more focused on the drift Ninja, tuner crowd. I can assume by the press and response it will do what Hyundai wants it to do, put it on the map as a tuner car. It is doing well in Asia right now which is what they wanted and why they intro'd into the US market at a time when selling cars is like selling Eskimos: yellow snow. My bet is it will sell and probably better than G37's right now.

46. Hyundai USA acting President and CEO John Krafcik has described the Genesis Coupe as being designed "...to deliver a driving experience that challenges cars like Infiniti G37, at prices more like Mitsubishi Eclipse.” [1] Hyundai has stated the Genesis Coupe is not a successor to the Hyundai Tiburon.(straight from the horses mouth..;-) )

47. 07Ltd#767

That's garbage...I heard a few years back that Hyundai was going to come up w/ a V8 version of the Tiburon to combat the mustang and other V8 coupes. While this isn't a big block, I would be willing to bet it's their response to this market

48. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Dude I will own one of these.. oh yes.

49. jeb

jeb Member

For 20k-25k you can get a low mileage 02-04 Z06 with around 500whp. Look at the classifieds on any vette forum. American V8 that can turn with a transmission that doesn't break and cheap repair bills. It'll be my next car

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I dunno what you are talking about bad gas mileage. I'm driving a 350 AWHP monster that gets averages 25 mpg with my everyday driving. On the interstate it gets 28-29 mpg.