Glock vs. Springfield Compact Review

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mmtasty, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

My first gun was a compact Springfield XD9. It really set the bar high because everything I try/buy now I compare to it, but I had no idea that what I bought was so good. The XD is easy to shoot, 9mm ammo is cheap, it's kinda small, fits GREAT in your hand, lifetime warranty... I knew about Glocks, but I didn't want to pay the $ for one because I just didn't know. So as a total nOOb I decided I needed a .45 next. I also wanted a smaller gun that I could conceal carry (If you know your guns you know this isn't a good idea, but we can all dream). So I bought a Taurus PT145Pro. :unamused: Long story short, I sold that for a bitchy little Kahr CW40 because I heard nothing but fantastic things (lies)... and shortly after that I now own a Glock23. If you want to know more just ask and I'll discuss.

Anyway! Looking back I'm glad I bought the XD as my first gun. Why? Because I learned that it was possible to have a gun that works 100% and never FTF or FTE. It's like getting a Honda Civic for your first car. You don't know what you have until you trade it in on a Ford. If I had bought a Glock at first it would have been like getting a Toyota Carolla. Same basic point.

So here is my comparison on the two. I'd recommend these to ANYONE looking for a first/great gun. These are both "compact" (not sub-compact). The XD is a 9mm and the 23 is a .40, but they both share parts with the XD40 and the G19. Same everything, just little different round.

[​IMG]
    From the outside they're both about the same size. The Glock is a little smaller, but it's hard to tell... What you should notice is that the SA has a hand safety like an 1911. You have to be holding the grip to pull the trigger. Also, look at the profile of the grips. The SA comes in at the webbing of your thumb, which really makes it fit my hand well.

[​IMG]
    The 23 looks a lot smaller in this shot because the grip isn't as long without the magazines. With the mags inserted the Glock isn't too different. I have really FAT fingers and I can still put all 3 on the grip easily. Overall width is about the same. The sights are the same, but my 23 came with night sights. Really, who gives a shit because in a real confrontation you won't be aiming or using sights anyway.

[​IMG]
    Now, I can't comment on the internals of the SA, but I know that the Glock is known for being abuse proof. I've seen an (insane) instructor hammer a nail into a board then fire off the chambered round with a Glock, but they've both been tested to similar extremes on YouTube... I just can't comment on this. Please feel free to chime in if you know. What I CAN say is that the SA has a dual spring guide rod, which may help reduce recoil. Also, the guide rod in a SA is stainless steel, and in all Glocks it's plastic (I've already ordered a SS rod for mine for $25). I feel that this is also a good time to mention that the trigger and trigger safety on the Glock is made of plastic. The SA is aluminum. A aluminum trigger for a Glock is $100.

[​IMG]
    Now this may not be a big deal to you, but I'd like to mention that the Glock only has one slot on it's picatinny rail. This means my XML light sits at the end of the barrel. I can still flip it on, but it's with the tippy-tip of my finger. I bet Glock makes a light that has a switch in a different place, but I want to use any light with it.

[​IMG]
    The second/closer position allows for a closer fit. Mucho Bueno!

All in all I've gotta say that I pulled off some surprising shots with the G23. At 25' I could punch a hole through all the numbers on my target within two shots. I could do the same with the XD, but the 23 is a .40... The Glock has a polygonal barrel, which means it doesn't have hard grooves, but rather hills and valleys. It's said to help, but whatever. Overall, I like BOTH for what they are, but the Glock used (with night sights) cost me the same as my XD new with 4 mags.

Bottom line: I'm going to call this in favor of the Springfield because of the SS guide rod, aluminum trigger, choice on picatinny, lower cost, and feel in *my* hand. Glocks definitely have a better barrel, better (or = ?) drop-safety, and availability of holsters/parts/service. Field-stripping them is a wash. The SA is easier to dismantle, but the Glock goes back together instantly. And if anyone ever wants to shoot these back to back PM me and we'll meet at Nicks.

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I agree 100%, great review also.

Whenever people ask me I tell them to buy which ever one fits their hand better.

3. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

So, have you used this gun against a person and did it stop them? Sounds like you know you're stuff!

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I think I am going with a Glock 22 .40 next month, same gun that Techlord recently bought. I shot Wagunz-pwn's Glock a week or two ago, and Popsmears XD, as well as several other peoples XDs and Glocks a couple weeks back and prefer the Glock.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it comes down one thing:

will you place the lead on target?

given the weapon is reliable, you will be most proficient with a weapon you are comfortable with. whether this is due to perceived recoil (caliber and design), ergonomics (frame size, grips) depends on the shooter. try as many as possible, and when you find one that works, you will instantly know. it will fit like a glove and you'll enjoy shooting it. if the weapon is unbearable, uncomfortable, or expensive to practice with you will never become proficient and it will serve a less useful purpose.

that being said, plastic guns are for kids. real men carry huge hunks of metal :banana:

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

This is my first gun. Let me learn to shoot with a Plastic Gun, then I will go out an buy a Dirty Harry 44 Magnum

7. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

IBnicadsaysrealmenhavea1911

8. techlord

techlord Active Member

I want Matt's 1911, I couldn't hit shit with my glock but I was shooting at least 10ft further than we did when we went. I also used the psycho Osama target which sucks (cant see where you hit) but wanted to bring it back to hang on the garage wall but the damn clip broke so it never got to come home anyway.

Nice write up Mike, I will say this I shot the 9mm xd and glock but bought a .40 and it has a shit ton more recoil even the 4th gen that I got.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Anybody know where I could go to purchase a Springfield cheap?

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Good write up. And I agree with everyone else, its all about which gun fits best in your hand. I haven't found a Glock yet that I can hold comfortably. My first gun was a Berretta Storm .40

[​IMG]

The only reason I picked this over other guns is because I was a n00b and wanted an old fashioned safety... I did not trust myself with the grip/trigger safety at the time. But that being said, I am kicking myself for getting a gun with a composite lower. After shooting some all-metal guns, I want a 1911 or a Sig P220 immediately.

11. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I think its a gun show this weekend. I have a glock but my next I think will be an xd 45cal. Ive fallen in love with lol (north atlanta trade center feb6-7th from 9am-5pm)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  12. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

You my friend are in one industry where you definitely need to be "packing". I heard about the increase in 18 wheeler bandits across the country, scary shit!
    Shotgun and handgun in cab, if not an AK!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Yeah but problem is it seems like they don't want us to have em' but they are workin on laws to allow it. Right now I cant even carry in with my current co. So gadgets like stun guns, night sticks,strategically placed knife's can help till then.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

i loved my XD40, ~ the same recoil as the XD9 to me. and significantly less than my dad's shitty Ruger. i believe safety wise for a first handgun springfields can't be beat. mine had 2 safeties, now they have 3 standard.

wish i hadn't sold it.