Good and Reliable Car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wileycoyote0022, Jun 6, 2012.

1. So I am in the market for a car. I only have 3500-4000 to play with so WRX I beileve is out of the question unless someone has one for that price.... I am going to be traveling 100 miles a day 4 days a week starting the beginning of the year.

So I need a cheap car, that gets good gas mileage, and is reliable. I have leaned towards Civic or Sentra 90s models. I dont thing anything gets any more mechanically simplified than a Civic.

Tell me your ideas? Recommend any? Have anything for sale?

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just played this game... Not to be a debbie downer, but cars in this price range suck. Get ready to look at a ton of 1999/2000 Fords with 170,000+ miles. We ended up spending more than we had to get a 2004 Civic with 66k miles for $6500. I don't regret it... I would save up a little more unless you are a good mechanic.

3. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I am selling my fiances car soon. Its a 2005 Altima 2.5S with 90K miles PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

You could probably get that hail damaged 04...

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

There's a protege for sale on 4T for around 3 I believe

Also GC chassis subaru's are usually around your price range.

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

My experience with cheap cars has lead me to the early 90s honda civic. They can be had for virtually nothing.

That being said they do suck, but they get 35+mpg even in automatic.

It boring to drive and its loud but it will get you from place to place. If something does go wrong with it they are cheap to reapair. If something major goes wrong with it you can usually sell it to a scrap yard for half its value.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd find a civic before a Sentra.

8. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Lmfao..wait..did I just see a reference to WRX being a reliable option?? Too many WRXs spend weeks/months sitting on jack stands to be considered "reliable".

Your best bet is to pick up a Civic as stated in previous posts. They are cheap to fix/maintain and right in your budget.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. Matt

WRX is pretty reliable...in stock form. Once you start modding, it goes downhill.

10. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Any car is reliable when the owner takes care of it, does all maintenance on time, and isn't a cheap ass or an idiot. Some are a little better than others, but subaru's are in no way shitty. One of my friends beat the hell out of his stock bugeye that he got brand new and it lasted 200k miles. Anytime someone complains about a car being unreliable, I enjoy getting to judge how much car knowledge they don't have.

11. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Don't get me wrong..I loved my Rex and I don't mean to come off as if I think they're shitty because they are definitely not. My intentions were to respond to the OP's request to find a WRX for 3500-4000 in reliable condition.

Finding one in this price range that is reliable would be a MIRACLE to say the least. I've known ( and have read posts about) ppl that have had their WRX's in shops for almost a third of the time they've owned the car. I'm talking about ppl that have been meticulous with maintenance but have just been unfortunate.

Anyways please don't get your panties in a bunch. This was not intended as an attack on the beloved WRX/STi brand in any shape or form. They're are plenty of Subaru's that stand the test of time and I respect the cars and their owners. Take AMONSTA's car for instance..that thing has performed extremely well given the upgrades/etc for ~200k+?

12. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Happy to state my opinion. One with hail damage might lower the price, yet still be a reliable car. That is if we're talking about about the OP and the post you quoted. Guess I misunderstood your first post, all I saw was the part about too many wrx's being on jackstands.

Also you should probably know ahead of time that I don't exactly love wrx/sti's :rofl:

13. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

It's because one tried to eat your cupcake car. Your avatar isn't joking around

14. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I wouldn't pay over $2000 for that hail damage car. 150K miles and its beat to death.

15. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

sure it's cute, but it's actually 172 hp of fury tyvm

16. So to settle the score, I didnt say I wanted a WRX for 3500-4000, verbatim "WRX I beileve is out of the question unless someone has one for that price". I dont care what it looks like, I just care that it runs, and is reliable. Hell it could be painted 7 different colors, I dont care. Its a daily driver, that Im about to put over 25k a year on it.

Your out of your damn mind if you think subaru isnt reliable, regardless of the price.

http://jalopnik.com/5915955/this-su...ting-on-the-bottom-of-a-lake-for-three-months

bixs said it right the first time, if the car gets good maintenance it will run forever. It would be difficult to find a wrx for sale for that price, but hail damage would be a good way to find one at that price.

Im thinking Im going to get a 90s civic hatchback found several online for <2500. If it goes bad in 2 years, certainly worth to price then.

Any other suggestions?

17. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

18. Matt

Since you want 7 colors.

[​IMG]

:D

19. Matt

20. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

The horse is dead. Hang it up.
    [​IMG]

21. Matt

Also, I'd look for an older Forester or Legacy wagon.

22. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

oh yeat

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Offer him $2500 and use the left overs to pick up the stock undesired motor for that model, or drop new pistons in as the problem he has is ringlands.

24. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

My 98 Outback has 198k on it and gets 30mpg on the freeway. Not one major problem yet.

25. I forgot about outbacks and legacys, Ill have to look some up. If anyone knows about some post it up. Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.

Leave it to you Matt to find a 7 colored car.......

26. So wanted to follow up with something I found. Dont know if any of you have seen it before, but its a great resource.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

27. Jake

Jake Active Member

i have actually found suitable swap motors and all necessary wiring/etc for $1000-$1500, just have to have the time to search. and a stock H22/B18 would be SUPER fun and totally reliable in that little hatch and still get killer MPGeez