gotta do my brakes soon

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ddwyer50, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ddwyer50

ddwyer50 Member

My 05 wrx has about 35k miles. If I brake while going 60-70mph+, I get a small but unpleasant vibration. I believe that most of this vibration is coming from the front pads/rotors. Soo I guess it's time to do my brakes.

Should I buy carbotech pads or go with the oem's (and where to buy?) ? Also would you expect my rotors with about 35k miles on them would need to be replaced? Or do you think it is more likely that they could be turned? what about the rears?

Thought of doing SS lines while I'm at it, I found some stoptech lines at vividracing.com for 70 bucks. Are they worth it?

thanks!!
    dennis

2. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

VERY common for the brakes to shimmy on the WRX. With 35k and no heavy autocrossing the rotors can be machined and your brake pads are likely still fairly thick (in most cases) Machining the rotors alone would solve your problem. I put my stockers through 90k miles of hell before I cracked the front ones. I use Posi-quiet ceramic pads. They aren't competition pads but excellent street pads. I'm not sure about carbotech pads but EBC's are great and Pep Boy's ,of all places, stocks WRX pads and rotors.

3. ddwyer50

ddwyer50 Member

Sweet. what I may do is just plan on machining my rotors, When I get the pads off I'll decide if I need to replace them. Any advice on the ss lines?

4. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

I like steel lines b/c the brake feel at the limit is a definite improvement and you have better control, but that's up top you wether they're worth it. Any other time you don't know they are there, kind of an auto-crossy maybe mountain run type mod.

5. flip

flip Member

Yeh I wana do the steel lines as well...

I have the carbotech panthers and LOVE them. They do make some noise from time to time so if you don't want any noise don't get them... If you want to stop fast and don't mind a little noise, get em!

6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

at 35k you should have them inspected (or inspect yourself). could the vibration just be pad transfer?

7. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

[​IMG]

thinking about bleeding my brakes and doing this fluid. how many of them would i need, and is it worth it?
    eheh, my car has 90K now, and i dont know if the previous owner did anything about the brakes.

i am getting a little vibration too, so i guess i better check out my brakes. but my priority right now is getting rid of that spongy feel, so bleeding the thing is on the top list as of now..

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

im at 17k i had BADDD vibration.. just had my rotors machined and everything is perfectt

9. sti37

sti37 New Member

check w/ your dealer, if your under 36,000 miles you can get your pads replaced under warranty

10. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

The lines are definitely worth the cost. I went with the Goodridge SS lines. It helps improve pedal feel during hard braking. 30k for OE pads are about right. Go with some Hawk HPS or the Carbotechs. FYI, I had an awful experience with vividracing. I will never shop there.