Great, wait for gas to jump up again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Jul 13, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

• Two rockets hit Israeli port city of Haifa, IDF said
    • Reuters: Hezbollah denies firing rockets at Haifa
    • Israeli ambassador: Haifa attack "major escalation"
    • Israel bombs Beirut airport; blocks ports
    • Hezbollah launches scores of rockets into Israel
    • Israel, Lebanon officials say violence amounts to "acts of war"

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

when shit hits the fan, it really hits the fan hard

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Man, I really want a camry now.

4. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Well, I can see how this could raise tensions with Syria and Iran, and in turn the cost of oil, but the press has attributed some oil price spikes to some really rediculous stuff, like recent North Korea missle testing.

5. blink

blink Member

Oh its raised now.. its either at or close to $80 a barrel.. just for some reference, pre-katrina, its was ~$60 a barrel, after Katrina, ~$70 a barrel.

Good Game US Foreign Policy, Middle Easterners, Big Oil Companies, and Subaru.

EDIT: My girlfriend will be getting a Fit by this fall, so finally we can have atleast one economical car, instead of two SUV'ish cars.

6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i don't think it's ever stopped hitting the fan. the size of the chunks just vary.

7. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

The problem with the oil price is that the oil company's raise the price when the price per barrel raises during a crisis. They then keep the oil at that price for a little bit, and when they notice that, "Hey, these guys keep buying our gasoline despite the high prices!" They realize that they can make an even bigger profit.

That's why one gas company's spokesman said earlier today that we shouldn't expect the gas of price to go down after the summer, when it's usually at its highest demand/highest price.

Too bad the government can't put a cap on what percent profit an oil company can make per gallon.

:mad:

Craig

8. Brian

Brian Active Member

^^^^watch out suby! Moose will start in with the percent profit argument and how oil companies are on the consumers side. ;)

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Nope, I've given up trying to inject logic into anything relating to gas prices since people get so damn emotional any sense of reason flies out the door.

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

whoooosssshhhhhh! You just missed it....

11. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

gas prices will only spike when people panic and try to 'get theirs' before the price goes up(by topping off their SUVs to the max when they dont need to go anywhere). Sheep are stupid.

I gave up any sense of logic when I found out that the cost of gas is about %60 in embedded taxes. The government gets %60 of the money we pay for gasoline and did absolutely nothing to help bring it to me.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  12. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

You mean, except to pay to for the maintenance of our roads and bridges.

13. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Or pay for roads in Iraq once we spent billions bombing the crap out of theirs =P

14. blink

blink Member

straight off the news burner from reuters...

"U.S. crude oil for August delivery fell more than $1 to $75.77 a barrel, down from a record high hit on Friday on worries about the Middle East conflict."

hey its something

15. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

Well once it hits $4 im taking marta to work!

16. monk

by and large corporations are on one side. theirs.

the rest is symbolic gesture.

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

I've been riding the motorcycle to work these past 2 weeks. <1 gal per day commuting!

18. Trey

Trey Active Member

Car pool FTW!

:fawk: Big Oil!

19. blink

blink Member

my girlfriend rides marta from downtown to Sandy Springs, 50$ a month to ride versus $100+ driving.

20. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Does this mean that you don't work for a corporation? Whose side should they be on? Corporations are around to make money, if they don't make money, they fail. Why are we getting angry at them? It's not as though they're coming into your home and forcing us to drive everday. These are choices that we have made, so now it's time to deal with the ramifications of those choices.

I mean, should we really be angry at someone for wanting to make as much money as possible for their product? Would you guys actually turn down higher offers for something you'd sell on eBay? I'd be a little more understanding if this was the Honda Civic forum or Hybrid Cars forum, but this is for people that drive mostly 4WD cars (where it doesn't even snow)! Did you honestly think that gas would stay at the $0.72 per gallon of the 1980s? Where do we get off thinking that we have a right to that?

21. monk

that was a statement of fact. not sure what else you're trying to extract from it, nor why.

22. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Well, would you take it as a compliment if someone said, "Monk, you only look out for yourself, the rest is symbolic gesture"? I wouldn't think so. The tone I perceived from your post was one that was "against" corporations. In my response I intended to show the corporations' side of this gas-prices debate.

Everything after the initial question about your current employer was not in direct response to your statement, but merely a rant about the overall "feel" I got from the other posts. I'm frustrated at hearing the whining about high gas prices. We made our bed, it's time to lie in it.

23. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Watch out man, you'll be lumped into the Evil Capitalist bucket together with yours truly. :rofl:

Don't forget who owns a large chunk of these corporations either -- us.

24. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Yeah, do you think there'd be half as much griping if any one of those people owned stock in "Big Oil". They'd be laughing all the way to the bank. Lacking the foresight to not be able to plan accordingly is no one's fault but one's own (What was that, a triple-negative?)

In other words, if you think all that big oil is going to do is continually achieve record-breaking profits, why don't you just buy stock instead of a new turbo? If you would've put that $1,000 you (the arbitrary "you" here, I'm talking about no one in particular) spent on the 20g in 2003 to oil company stock instead, it'd have between $1,500 and $1,800 in value thanks to those awful prices (depending on the stock).

25. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

The state and federal governments does nothing to contribute to the production of gasoline, yet feels it needs to raise the at pump cost by over %200 to pay for roads?

The real kicker of this little math problem is not that there's a tax, but that its embedded tax. People are happily complaining about the price of gas and that tax breaks means someon richer than them isn't paying their taxes(because of "us vs them" politics). But this tax is only paid by one group, the consumer, and because its not visibly calculated at the point of sale, its easy for legislatures to quietly raise the taxes whenever.

And who gets the blame then...