Guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Where can you sell/trade guns? I've got a Remington 700 that I'm trying to get rid of so I can buy a hand gun. A friend of mine told me to take it somewhere, get an offer, and then he would buy the gun from me for that price...

2. You can try taking it to a local gun shop and see what they think it's worth, but you're likely to get lowballed....... www.gunbroker.com is a fairly popular site to check out, just see what other 700's are going for...... then factor in age, condition, and accessories and tell your buddy to cough up the cash..... great gun though, very versatile and reliable..... I'd buy it from you myself if I wasn't in the market for an AR..... good luck with it though.....

BTW, what handgun did you settle on?

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

I think I'm going to just get the Glock 27... I don't want the full size, cause thats what I'll be getting from the county anyway so... But then again, I like the feel and the way the Beretta 9000s shoots.
    Its a toss up between those two

4. A lot of officers that have duty Glocks will carry a subcompact Glock in the same caliber as a backup..... I would think it helps with familiarity if you have to go to your backup in a high-stress situation, and the fact that you can use the full size magazines in the smaller pistol..... but you may wanna hold off on the purchase for just a bit..... you know where Smyrna Police Supply is?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  5. Greg

Greg Active Member

No, I haven't heard of it? Do they discount officers?

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Greg, it's actually just down the street from Batlground.

about a block east of South Cobb Drive on Windy Hill....

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Oh ok... If they do give reasonable discounts, I'll hold out a little while. I was just going to go ahead and get one to practice with a while at the range. I can get a Glock to borrow though.

Starting in the Jail, I'll be considered "Deputy Sheriff I", so would that give me the the permission to buy from them, as well as the police catalogs?

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

replied

9. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

27 why not the glock 23?

10. 27 is a little easier to carry concealed on duty.....

11. Wife has 9000s in 9mm.she likes it .it is easy to shoot well and fairly compact.plus it looks way cooler than the Glock.

12. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

i shot the Sig P220 this weekend...and while its not compact goddamn did I like that gun...thinking about picking one up.

13. cannarella

cannarella Member

What calaber is your 700?

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What is a good handgun in the $300-400 range? I'm getting my concealed license and I want a decent gun to keep in the car. I have no issue buying a used one that is in good condition so consider those. I don't want a big bulky gun but a decent shooting gun that is concealable.

15. Greg

Greg Active Member

its a .308. Its actually the youth model. Pretty much brand new though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Good luck deciding. I definitely don't recommend the Berretta though. We use the 9's, the M9 in the Army, (not sure if it's a different model than you're talking about) but it's a complete piece compared to my Glock 17. In my opinion anyway. I'd so much rather have my little glock than this heavey, bulky unreliable thing.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Bump for an answer to this.

18. cannarella

cannarella Member

If you want to shoot different glocks, Bulls Eye in Lawrenceville has almost all of them that you rent and shoot to see what feels good.

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I've allways been partial to the 1911 model... Colt, Kimber etc.. As long as you go with a brand name and its not beat up you can't go wrong, and should find plenty used between $3-400.

20. 1911's are good reliable pistols, but you'd be very hard pressed to find a brand name model in decent condition for $300-$400..... the cheapest of these run $800 brand new and they tend to hold their value well..... there are so many choices for a handgun that you really have to pull research yourself.....

Lots of people will preach to you about Glocks cuz they're popular and very easy to shoot well with little practice, but this should not be your only option..... Kahr makes excellent subcompact pistols in 9mm, .40, and .45, as does Cobra.... KelTec makes a tiny .380 that is very easily concealed..... all of these are arguably easier to conceal than anything Glock makes..... do research, shoot lots of different guns (most ranges have guns for rent), and talk to the rangemasters.....

http://www.gunatics.com: run by brucelee from Nasioc, I believe..... some good info to start off.....

21. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Hmm, I liked that KelTec. It'd be fun to see just how well it shoots.

22. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

we need to go to that gn show ans see what they got.

shoot me up.lol not literally. hehe. and we will go one day. may be this sunday :)

23. Greg

Greg Active Member

Gun show this Saturday... Where?

24. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

yeah where?

25. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

look it up!

i dont know i dont keep up with that stuff.

26. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I don't know what they go for now, but I picked up an HS2000 9mm for $329 a few years back, before Springfield bought the import rights and relabeled it the Springfield XD. It's an excellent handgun; the safeties design is the best I've seen (trigger safety ala glock with a grip safety added, pretty much idiot proof), and it's great to shoot. Worth checking out.

27. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

hmm i dont know about the forrest park one... you'll prolly get shot when walking out of the show and get robbed. lol

28. Greg

Greg Active Member

haha Thats their selling point... You get mugged going in, so you buy a gun inside, and leave safe.

29. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

it's not just you, i know a few guys (Mar. SF. RGRs) that HATED the berrettas, they all carry glocks now.

30. Bringing this back from the dead, but here it is:

I just went to a gun show and got a Skyy CPX-1 for my wife to carry in her purse. its a $300 9mm automatic. It holds 10+1. Its a recently new company started by one of the keltec ex-employees. When it first came out 4 years ago, it got bad reviews but those common issues were fixed according to the newer reviews.

But seriously, when you get a small pistol for CC, you are not looking for a 10K+ round range plinker, you are looking for a small, light, inexpensive, decent capacity pistol that you can take to the range once every few months and empty a couple of clips, then load it and holster it for months at a time. Don't get yourself a $500+ gun just to holster it for a year, unless you've got the cash sitting around.

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned