Hail Damage!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Apr 16, 2011.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

So.......... Car was outside last night during the hail storm by the house in Sandy Springs... Looked at it after the storm was done and everything looked ok. Went to look this morning and my car is fucked up. Dime sized dents all over the top surface of the car. Called Stated Farm, hoping for some 'act of God' type of coverage.. Nope, I have to pay my deductable, which is $1000... (I knew that would bite me in the ass someday)... Any one else have damage?

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Take it to WagenWerks, he's located near Andrettis across from Nalley Audi. Might be worth it just to pay for the repairs out of pocket rather than insurance

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^Its covering the whole top of of the car... I assume that would be way over $1000? Is it not?

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

yea its going to be way more than 1000. i was in an accident and got a new fender plus bumper paint blending. that only was 1200. pics of the damage? i'm not too far from you in dunwoody...perhaps i should go out to check on my car :eek:hnoes:

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Yeah, I'd check if I were you... I'll try to get some pics...

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

pop-a-dent or the like might save you money and time.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah check into PDR (paintless dent removal). i thought we had a vendor or a member who did this?!

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Thought so too... hopefully one of them will chime in....

9. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

The guy that was performing the PDR at the Subaru of America meet was Andy Schladetsch of IndepenDent Repair (404-880-1816). I removed a few dents on the passenger side of my car and it turned out a lot better than I expected.

10. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea my car has lots of dents but very subtle...but still annoying.
    all over my hood and roof

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Artcraft is having a customer appreciation day on the 21st IIRC (still waiting on details from them) and they're supposed to have a PDR guy there. I'd give them a call to get an estimate on your vehicle.

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ will do...

13. nygiant

nygiant Member

last i remember, at the subaru event at town center...when andy popped a dent on my car, i asked him how much he normally charged and he said 50/panel

14. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

I had damage as well, also in Sandy Springs.

I called Progressive today and put in the claim. They didnt mention anything about what it would cost, just that someone would contact me in a day or 2.

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Sucks to hear, but yeah, State Farm has locations I could go to to get claims looked at. Closest one is Kennesaw :( They said they would come to me, but it'd be like 2 weeks. I'm going Tuesday.... Damage is worse than I thought... Its on pretty much the whole car, not just the top surfaces.... Quarter panels, doors... all fucked.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  16. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

oh damn, yea all i can see so far is just my roof and hood

17. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

Yea I have dings on all top surfaces as well as the passenger side.

18. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

lets get a group buy goin here...

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

For real...

Cat emergency vet visit: $250
    Girlfriends tooth extraction: $550
    Hail Damage to car: $1000

Engagement Ring fund mentioned in another thread: Depleted

20. John

John Active Member

[​IMG]

I got lucky last night and didn't get any hail. I'm sorry your car got messed up....and that car insurance is a pain in the ass. Jonathan at Subaru of Kennesaw recently used a guy to do some work on his car. Results were good, but I'm not sure what kind of price he paid.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  21. b reel

b reel Active Member

bullet and a pair of pliers would have left you only $200.00 short.

22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

that number is disconnected, is he still around?

23. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

Yea, so how good does PDR look once completed? I was thinking of selling my car in the next few months and this doesnt make me too happy.

24. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Check your fender flairs, etc...

I have Hail Damage, however, my damage is from a Hail Storm a couple years ago. Hundreds of little tiny dents all over the car.

Not worrying about it yet though. Once I start looking for a house with a garage, I will wait for the next Hail Storm then claim all my damage. There is no point getting all those little dents repaired, only to have it happen again in a couple months/year.

For Small Hail Damage Dents, probably couldn't tell anything happened after PDR. Would look like new. Larger dents usually the same, though sometimes PDR can leave a tiny crease where the dent used to be. Usually, they can tell if it is a dent they can remove, and will let you know up front whether to expect a slight crease or not.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  25. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

So I spoke with Progresssive. They want to do an estimate, then I can take it wherever I want or to one of their shops.

Where would you guys recommend?

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

only shop i've used is Magnum in Kennesaw. they are pricey, but do good work. maybe get a quote there so you get more money and have it done somewhere else? not sure how progressive works tho. i should know, because i have progressive

27. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

we got a lot of hail in my neighborhood...watched my neighbor frantically move a car they are trying to sell into another neighbors car port. The hail was done before they even got in the carport :rofl:

I inspected the TL both Friday night with a flashlight and Saturday...no damage to the car whatsoever.

28. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

just got a quote, $2100.

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Where was that from? Going to see State Farm today... not sure if they are gonna cut me a check on the spot or what....

30. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

I hear Magnum is pretty good.

Progressive said I could go wherever. I am going to double check that on Thursday when I see the adjuster.

31. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

my insurance company, safeco told me to go to all pro collisions in alpharetta to get an estimate. i'm probably going to take it elsewhere to get it fixed

32. Matt

I've heard bad things about that place. I'd stay away. Take it to ArtCraft!

33. b reel

b reel Active Member

FYI, may I suggest keeping some blankets or comforters and bungee cords in the trunk or nearby for the next storm if covered parking is out of the question. Has saved me plenty of money over the years. Good way to piss off your roommate too when using theirs to protect your car.

34. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Or you can go to Harbor freight and pick up some moving blankets for the cheap. I usually always have one in the trunk of my car.

35. nygiant

nygiant Member

34 replies and still no pics???

36. Matt

the what?

37. integroid

hatch area/trunk...whatever you want to call it:p

38. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'll try to snag one today while I'm out... but just imagine a dump truck of golf balls being released over your car... Dime sized divets every 2 inches covering basically the whole car.... :wtc:

39. nygiant

nygiant Member

:(

40. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

Uploading some pics now

41. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

42. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

Ok, those are huge, hold on

Edit: Should be fixed now.

43. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ yup, mine looks about the same, maybe a little bit worse... and all over... I don't think there is one panel that wasn't hit....

44. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea mine werent as big but the quantity is more...
    just spoke with artcraft, looks like its may 21st for customer appreciation day for me.

45. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Did you get a quote? or just gonna let them take a look then?

46. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Have used thick cardboard in a bind before and it did the job too.

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

How big/thick are those?

48. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

didnt get a quote. give them a call if you want a quote, the PDR guy they contract will be there tomorrow if you want one.

49. nygiant

nygiant Member

how would this be repaired if not by PDR? bondo then paint?

50. integroid