Have you ever driven 100+ mph?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 5spdfrk, Jul 16, 2008.

?

Have you ever gone 100+ MPH?

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    98.6%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

No not on a track...On the street (i.e. most likely the interstate), and before the e-cops come on here and bring their wrath down upon me, just pay attention for a moment.

Recently, there have been several threads (mostly n00bs, iirc), that have mentioned going over the speed limit and they get bashed unmercifully (and maybe rightfully so). However, we are a different kind of community, and with that we need to come off in a different manner. I absolutely love the fact that we do not condone street racing posts on the forum! The problem in my eyes, is that many members come off with a holier-than-thou attitude, when I think that many off them are far from innocent. This may cause some dissent and we may lose (and already have in other situations) new members, who could become great friends and contributors to this site and the community.

I am not saying that speeding is right, not dangerous, not stupid, or anything else along those lines, so don't take it that way.

I've created a poll to show that there are more people who have broken the speed limit than what they might say. The poll is anonymous afaik, so please vote there if you'd like, but whatever you do, don't make a post saying you drove 100+ and you don't have to post giving excuses as to why you were speeding (emergency, wife was in labor, I was injected with some serum like Jason Statham in "Crank", etc.) . I'm not sure if this thread is within the rules of the site since its talking about speeding, but hopefully it will be an informative thread and wont get closed.

Mods, if there is anything inappropriate, please let me know what I could do to keep the thread open for discussion.

Thanks, 5spdfrk

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I will be the first to admit that Yes, I have exceeded 100 mph on the street, however, just because I have done so, doesn't mean that I am going to jump on a website with a bunch of people I don't know, and start talking about it.

I say the same thing about street racing. Yes, I have, on occasion raced someone on the street. I will most likely do so again in the not to far off future, but I will never post about it here, or anywhere else on the internet.

Talking about things like this, and not having the "e-cops" do their thing, in some senses gives the impression that it is acceptable to talk about here, which is definitely not the case. We don't encourage breaking the law here in any way shape or form.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Very well said. i'm guilty of both speaking up and "bashing" the 100+ post. i'm done with that. not my business, it's the moderator's.
    i will say, i've rolled a car going 120. no seat belt. and i'm left with the image of my friend hanging up side down from his seat belt, unconscious, all the while i only had a scratch or 2. i could have taken his life that day. i didn't. but an innocent life was at MY hands that day. not to mention the lives of anyone coming around the corner while my dumb ass was sliding out of control. i know, i'm such a pisser and a downer. i hope almost loosing a life isn't what it takes to show you what could happen in a moment.
    sorry, i won't breach the subject again.

4. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Agreed 100%, some things are better left unsaid. Additionally, I think those who bash do show it's not acceptable, but I think a tactful post would be much better receieved.

5. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Your first hand experience is definitely something I would mention in your posts, instead of just saying its wrong. Giving a real world example to someone might make them think all the more. Thanks for posting your story!:bigthumb:

6. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I have to admit i have gone 100+ on the HWY. But I have opned my eyes, When I look back on the time I was younger not as responsible with really no care in the world. But when you have somthing like a friend dying in a car like I had happen to my self it will make you look at everything in a different light. So have I done a over the speed limit YES was it smart NO. I do think this is a great discussion lets keep this going.

7. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Well my name says it all. I am a product of going to fast and stopping to quick. Yes I have gone in excess of 100. It has been some time since I have done it. Hell I haven't even done it in the suby. I know I would like to, buy I have to many things to live for, and I have seen the repercussion's of what happens to both sides. And I don't wish those to anyone. Feel free to ask me sometime.

8. ThaABomb

ThaABomb Member

I took the RL up to 120 one time. It was on a straight section of highway, there were no cars around me and no conceivable police hiding spots and I was curious. <OPINION> Though speeding is against the law, I don't think it's morally wrong, and I think that when I did it, I was reasonably cautious. </OPINION> I guess the moral of the story is that I need to suck it up and get an SCCA racing license so I can speed legally :).

9. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Autobahn baby!
    210kph (130 mph) and all legal!

Its suprising what a V50 Volvo station wagon will do given a few miles of straight road!

10. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

I love cop-bait threads like this...

you might as well put up a poll: "Have You Ever Gone Ass-to-Mouth?"

anyways, it's a lot smarter to just show up at a G2G and discuss this in a non-documented format.

11. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

And some of us aren't "bashing", we are trying to impart learned knowledge/wisdom. I don't slam the people on here that talk about it, but I do let them know its probably not the best idea. I think most of the people on here are the same way. I rarely see anyone on here just outright slam another member.

12. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

How exactly is this a cop-bait thread? Plus, a thread has a further reach than a g2g would.

13. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Haha, off topic but there was actually an IA thread about that a few years back.

And yes its hard to find a WRX owner who hasnt ever taken his car over 100mph.

14. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

I used to speed every where in my WRX when I first got it. I had the radar detector and everything. I autox'ed a lot, so I had more car control than the average driver. I thought it wasn't a big deal to speed because I was in control, but its not always you that you have to watch out for but the person that doesn't see you coming at blinding speeds.

I have sped to a NOPI event one time, well over 100mph. I regret both parts ever since.

15. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

HAHAHAHAHA

:rofl:

Btw ...............i'm guilty:keke:

16. WJM

WJM Banned

Its kinda hard to avoid going 100+ in FL on 95 and 9A when everyone else is going 100+...all 3 lanes....out of 3 lanes.

Same on 285 in ATL some days.

17. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Yeah, the WRX likes 85+, lol :wavey:

18. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Im Guilty, I Think I Hit 100 Atleast Once Everytime I Drive My Car. I Havnt Had My Car But For One Month This Whole Year So I Think When Its Back On The Road Im Going To Stay The Speed Limit. Or Atleast Try To

19. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Good thread.
    And yes, I have been at triple digits many a time.

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

oh yeah, i've done well over 100+ in a few of the vehicles i've driven. and like it has been said before its one of those things you kind of grow out of, or don't and wind up hurting either yourself, or 9 times out of 10, someone else. i don't do those speeds any more, mainly because i think the acura would explode, but also because i don't have to. i haven't felt the urge to do it recently. even shortly before i got rid of the subaru i never took it over 85. I did a lot of mountain runs, but still babied it otherwise.

21. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Just a random thought about the phrase "triple digits". This is how we often referred to our trucks (18 wheelers) that went over 99mph.
    I was not a CDL driver at that time, but it was know at our location that we had two that with an empty trailer would break through the triple digit mark.

I guarantee that there are still plenty of them on the road.

22. Brian

Brian Active Member

It all depends on conditions I would say. Sometimes 10mph is too fast, sometimes 80mph is too slow. BTW, how long til we have a "my max speed" on public roads thread?

23. WJM

WJM Banned

Now!!!!!!!!

24. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

The Autobahn spoils you... After driving in Germany for almost 5 years. It's hard not to cruise at 100+ traffic and po-po permiting. Especially with a fast car.

25. techlord

techlord Active Member

BINGO

I do and have driven in excess of 100 and will again until I can get my 4th to run to 118.
    Come arrest me e-cops
    Regards
    Mr. Techlord

26. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

So, who is the one person lying on the poll that says they have never exceeded 100 on a public road?

27. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I was wondering the same..not saying they're lying...but...yea..very curious..

28. FACE

FACE Active Member

I think it was sean...he said never in the suby...right buddy ;)

29. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i dont doubt everyone here speeds, and everyone here drives in the slow lane too.

If I'm on the phone, for example, I merge to the slow lane and realise that just like having a passenger conversation, my attention span is split.

I think the high-and-mighty impression some people may get from more 'Mature' drivers is not from a position of a high horse that they never speed. Its more from a position of "be a man, and accept the consequences of your choices. If you're gonna speed, no tears when you get caught."

In my case, the last time I did 100mph on public roads was in my first car, a Chevy Corsica, long after statute of limitations. ;p

At least I think I was going that fast (stupidly) because the speedo only went up to 85 and the needle went past it until I hit an automatic cutoff.

30. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have and will like others have said gone triple digits...but never when there is obvious dangers. My thought is to save it for the track and a controled enviornment. I think the real question on the table should be Has anyone ever driven extremly aggressive in a situation they shouldn't have. I have always considered myself to be an extremly good driver not only because of control but observation. I kick myself everytime a bike sneaks up on me or when I notice something that I should have seen sooner.

Moral...Be observant and truly take care. Do not take obvious risks and use your common sence people.

I was hit head on while sitting at a redlight by someone driving way to fast for the situation so I know first hand the results of careless speeding

[​IMG]

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the ONLY time ive gone over 100 was on the way to Florida . COMPLETELY empty road

32. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

going fast is always fun but I think there is a time and place for everything. I think common sense can go a long way when used.

33. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Nope never in the suby. Close though. The last car I drove to the max was my integra. I voted 100+ :)

34. ThaABomb

ThaABomb Member

Why is everyone saying that writing about speeding is a bad idea? I'm no lawyer, but I think an authority figure would need more proof than a forum post to indict someone. Even proving that I was the one that wrote the post would be tough. If the thread was about felonies that we've committed, I'd be a little more cautious, but I don't think there is any need to worry if we just post about how fast we've driven.

35. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Dood, seriously.
    Unless you've been really, REALLY proactive and masked or cloned your IP address.
    IP address = ISP = you.

Comments you make on a public forum from your computer can be used against you if the files/records are obtained legally and the jury finds that information to support the charges against you.

36. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, not for speeding.

I can say ive got 1010293810298321093 mph in a neighbor hood

unless someone has proof... they cant do anything

37. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Seriously, think about that for a second. Your IP address = ISP = your computer, not you specifically. The person who is typing this right now could be me or anyone with access to my computer. Just like when someone doesn't log off of their myspace account and someone posts a bunch of stupid or embarrassing stuff or when a roommate posts to this forum because their suby driving roomie forgot to log out. You get the picture.

38. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I use to drive triple digits all the time, but since I got married and had a kid I've cut all that out.

But, if by some miracle I found some deserted stretch of road and I knew without a shadow of doubt that no cops were around, I know that I would do it again.

39. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

OK, the point of this thread had absolutely nothing to do with cops. If you choose to speed on public roads, that is your choice, but before you do, think about the innocent people whose lives you are putting in danger by excessively speeding. Regardless of how safe you think you are being, there could always be some unknown factor that could cause major devastation.

How many people who have killed someone by driving excessively fast thought they were being safe when they made the choice to reach triple digits?

If you get caught speeding, that is your fault. You accepted responsibility the second you put your foot on the go pedal. All the other people on the road did not make that same choice.

40. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I came close to hitting 100 at lil tally

in the STi :p

41. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I hit like 101 there down the back straight, then had to slam the brakes for the sharp turn at the end.

On Road Atlanta banner pic day, when I let the Viper driver take my car on track, he hit 135 down the back straight. That was the fastest I had ever gone in any car ever. It was lots of fun, even though I wasn't driving.

42. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I agree with what you said entirely. Putting other peoples lives in danger is just plain wrong and I think the repercussions for endangering others should be severe . I know that I could never live with myself if I did something reckless and killed someone.

Maybe your post wasn't entirely directed at me, but you are coming off hypocritical. See your 1st post...

"I will be the first to admit that Yes, I have exceeded 100 mph on the street, however, just because I have done so, doesn't mean that I am going to jump on a website with a bunch of people I don't know, and start talking about it.

I say the same thing about street racing. Yes, I have, on occasion raced someone on the street. I will most likely do so again in the not to far off future, but I will never post about it here, or anywhere else on the internet."

43. That does it, I'm keeping track of everyone who's voted Yes..... you guys are going down! :mad:

Seriously though, we were all young once (some of us still are), and with youth comes flawed judgement (I'll provide a provocative, insightful quote below). I'm certain the majority of us (myself included) have gone over 100mph, and I'm certain a large number of us (once again, myself included) have been guilty of street racing at one time or another. As much traffic enforcement as we do, and as much education as we try to provide for teens about the dangers of speeding, racing, drinking, etc, it's always gonna happen..... meaning that fortunately and unfortunately I'll always have a job. We may be able to curb it, but it will never go away.

Insightful quote: "Good judgement comes from experience, which comes in large part from bad judgement." -Unknown

44. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

:eek:hnoes:

Good post mang!

45. fight club

fight club Member

i openly admit i have. and while i didnt crash or injure someone, i did manage to mess my life up.i got caught at 155, dont ask how, and learned the repercussions of thinking that the rules dont apply to you. it was because of that i had to sell my sti, the one car ive always, and will always want.and while many people make good arguements about the traffic flow and such, rarely is it truely neccessary to be goign 100mph+. i've lived in metro my entire life and 85-90 keeps you in the flow of traffic. emergencies i understand but even then theres the "my wife's water broke, i was doing 100+, and took a curb to fast, wrecked etc" arguement.

i guess what im trying to say is in my opinion, yes everyone has sped and everyone has "street raced", but that doesnt make it right. i wish i could go back and redo it, but thats life. it was an eye opener.one bump and i would of killed myself, my passanger, and any poor soul i hit.to me now, its not worth it. the risks dont equal the rewards, so with my next sti, those speeds will be kept on the track.

46. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

\\:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

47. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I agree with everything you said except this^^^. Never is it necessary to be going 100+ mph on the road.

Wife's in labor, call an ambulance. They don't have to speed excessively to get you to the hospital, they have flashing red lights and a siren that allow them to drive thru stop lights, stop signs, etc... Actually, I believe that technically, Ambulances and Fire Engines are not permitted to break the speed limit.

48. fight club

fight club Member

haha i figured that would be quoted. i put rarely is it because people have a tendency to find some obscure reason to contridict me whenever i put never is it... in a sentence. but i get your point!:)

49. ThaABomb

ThaABomb Member

+1

155 MPH????

50. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

the risks are way greater than the thrill. why put other peoples' lives in danger. keep it off the streets.