Headlight Painting

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Matto357, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Gonna paint my headlights Thursday. What's the recommended paint for this? Was just going to use some duplicolor semi-gloss unless anyone recommends something different.

2. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

That should work just fine. I got lucky and was able to have mine color matched when I had my scoop painted. Just make sure all finger prints and animal hairs are removed before you reassemble them.

3. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

this.

and make sure its not too cold or it gets blotchy and bubbly

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

keep a window open in the house, it gets stinky...quickly.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

down here that will get the cops called on you for cooking meth

6. KGraska

KGraska Member

I painted mine with Duplicolor Flat Black from Advance Auto Parts. Came out perfect.

7. Matto357

All done. Came out pretty nice imho. Think I'm going to do the tail lights next, get rid of the altezza. Crappy cell phone pics cause I was too lazy to go back upstairs and get a camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KGraska

KGraska Member

Nice work!! Those came out great.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

tail lights are a pain and require an expert Dremel artisan to cut apart. just buy 04-05 JDM's and be done

10. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

nice, im glad you kept a chrome 'bezel'

11. Matto357

I know, I've been doing my research. Kind of like the black look though.

12. Matto357

Yeah, getting that line clean was a PITA. Also, while I was screwing in the orange reflector after it was painted the whole piece holding it on snapped off. Had a few minutes of rage then an hour of gluing and epoxy work to get it back together securely.

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

looks great! I'm pretty sure I did the same thing to Strayen's WRX that you did....why did they make that area so thin and flimsy?

14. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Damn i want mine done so bad.. But too scared to bake mine

15. Matto357

Baking was the easiest part. Toss it in a 225 degree oven for 15 minutes or so then pry it apart. Unless you have girl hands you don't even need gloves. Hardest part (other than fixing the piece I broke) was getting the lights in and out if the car.

16. KGraska

KGraska Member

Yea, the baking is the easy part. They came apart like butter after 10-15 mins in the oven.

Getting them in/out was harder. If you take the clips out of the front bumper and let it hang a few inches down it makes it a lot easier.

17. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I want to do a retro at some point so ill prolly just wait till then