helix DNA coilovers

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by tuan, Sep 25, 2006.

1. tuan

tuan Member

can someone please give me some pros and cons on these coilovers, and what they think about them.

2. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I guess the real question is what do you need such a suspension for?

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

exactly. what are your intentions with the car?

bling, track, auto-x, etc?

4. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Search on nasioc, and you'll find several threads. I too have been eyeing them.

5. tuan

tuan Member

well im looking into auto-x. i search nasioc and everyone has given them great props and even say they're better then the flex

6. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Yeh, that's what I've seen too. Plus, eventually, helix will be coming out with their own version of edfc!

7. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

any ideas on how long that will be? because I like the DNAs, and i'm in the market for come coilovers right now (now that I have the money) and I'm loking at flexes+EDFC. but if in a month I can buy DNAs+ Helix's version, I'll wait a bit.

8. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

I wouldn't hold your breath. If you want a more definite answer call up gruppe-s. I think they were the ones who said something about it.

9. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

yeah, so it would seem. I hope they come out with it soon. I really like the idea of adjusting damping from inside the car. Although, it doesn't look like there's any system to adjust height from inside the car ;-)

10. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Kevin, you've got a wagon, adjusting the damping is as easy as popping off the rear dustcaps and twisting the top of the strut.:naughty:

11. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

I know, but i'm just that lazy ;-) j/k. It makes it easier to adjust though, esp if i'm getting passengers. They don't usually like the harsher rides, and the new auto-adjusting rates like the tanabe TEAS are pretty awesome.

12. calmnothing

you could always ride around on full stiff.....lol

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i found the sweet spot i believe... i only change it when i autoX

14. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

15. calmnothing

I say Megan Racing coilovers....come with castor plates...and excellent in build quality. Those rates that omnipower has might be a bit high if you go into atlanta often

16. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

it looks like the megan coilovers come with camber plates, not castor plates, but the photo only seems to show them on the front coilovers, not the rears (looking at the WRX picture). I've heard good things about megan's stuff. What's with Omni? Are they any good? because 800 is a steal. Do they have camber plates on the front too? I know companies like JIC and a few others do too.

17. calmnothing

I've got the megan racing coilovers and on my it's castor plates. I'm sure if I rotated how they were mounted I could adjust Castor and Camber at the same time. Megan racing is only 800 as well.

18. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

castor adjustments would be awesome. how do the megan treat you? Good ride? easy adjustment? how long have you had them, etc?

19. calmnothing

They are excellent. Ride is great aslong as you take the time to adjust them properly. I suggest to take a 2-3 hours to drive around town at various settings to fine tune it. right now I've got it so it drives great in the street and there is very lil bounciness. Large bumps and imperfections are a bit jarring but with high springrates there's no way to avoid that. Adjustment is quite easy. Should be even easier with a wagon since all you have to do is open the backhatch. I've had them for maybe 2-3 months now.

20. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

One general coilover question I have: When it says 8k or 6k spring rate, is that the maximum rate? I know with lowering springs, if it says 257, that's the highest rate of the spring (if it's progressive). I would assume coilovers are the same? Or are they all linear so it doesn't matter....

21. calmnothing

The springs are linear I believe. But you can also pre-load the springs to increase the springrate. Just use a measuring tool IE string to make sure both sides are even.

22. Alex

Yes sir!

23. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

24. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Amol recommended some Ksport coilovers that he has on his LGT. Anyone know anything about the quality of these? they're about the same price and 36 way adjustable...

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

his car handles real well... comfortable, yet firm... im trying to convince him to autoX and prove his suspension setup

26. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

I've heard they can be kinda bouncy? What did you think about them? especially on some of the rougher atlanta roads?

27. Greg

Greg Active Member

Anymore info on when the Helix verson of the dampening control is coming out?

28. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Apparently they have a prototype on a test car, but gruppe-s said the release date probably won't be until at least december.
    I also placed an order for these last friday and apparently they're dual-height adjustable like the megans and ksports, which isn't listed on most websites. I'll post more once they arrive.

29. Greg

Greg Active Member

Cool, please do! Do a part writup on them

30. Alex

Cannot wait :)

31. calmnothing

I would have to say +1 to the megan's and you can find them used for ~$500 or so. Makes it a cheap and awesome upgrade

32. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

One things that kinda turned me off to megans was from nasioc. When some guy rebuilt his he found a few rust spots on the cylinder. So it's not stainless... Apparently they were small and very minor (ie had NO effect on the performance of the product), but I may be moving to Michigan, Chicago, or DC in a year so I don't want salt getting into the cylindar and causing corrosion. Had the helix not been dual height adjustable, I would 95% have gone with megan. BTW: Ksports are NOT rebadged D2s. I spoke with ksport directly on this. So if you are looking at coilovers and see problems with D2, do not associate that as a problem with ksport (many people will say they're the same). Ksport was good too, but I really wanted 8/6kg rates and they offered 7/5kg. All three cost about 900-1000 shipped.

33. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Shipped today... should arrive next Tues. Looking to install next Sat (11/4) if possible...

34. calmnothing

Very nice. That should be one great handling wagon. Right now I can't turn the steering wheel fast enough to push my car the way it needs to be

35. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

ARRIVED! :wiggle: Will have them at the ga tech g2g since people are always interested in seeing build quality and such. Just gotta find time to install and do a proper write up

36. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Check this out guys!

37. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Sweet! Let me know how it goes! I gotta install these (still sitting in my room) but I've been stoked about this "EDFC" coming out! Glad to see it's finally nearing completion

38. Greg

Greg Active Member

I just got the DNA Coilovers in and I was wondering what you all thought about changing the spring to an H&R 350 in the rear and 250 in the front... I have a few sets of springs laying around so cost isn't an object. Just the spring rate.