Hella horns - 118db

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by SonicBoom, Jul 29, 2007.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Installed them last weekend...

Install: pretty straight forward if you use the stock relay. I was going to try to use the one that came with the horns, but it def. won't fit where the stock one goes and you'd have to just put it somewhere. (Someone on IWSTI had it zip tied to the radiator). Basically, we just bought some 14 gauge wire and extended the existing horn wires to reach the new horns. I mounted mine to the radiator in the holes that were allready there, to the right and left of the center section of my grill. Speaking of the grill, its kinda a PITA to remove on the 06's, we figured it out(with tech support from Alex, thx!). The 05' grill was much easier. All we had were fork style connectors to run the negative, if I were to do it again I would buy the loop style. The horns wouldn't go out as far as I wanted, they hit a fairing inside of the grill. So, unless I wanted to start modifying the grill... there as far over as there going to get. Ran into a bit of a snag with the hood release wire... The mount hole we used on the right had a clip in it to hold the hood release cable, we figured we'd just loop it over the screw and it would stay fine. Well.. after opening and closing my hood a few times, it wouldn't close! It didn't take us very long to figure it out but the cable was pinched by the horn mount screw, we just let it hang free and problem solved. The horns sound great, there pretty damn loud...
    Now my buddy Jasons(Shewb on here) horns were a different story. The install was again straight forward, maybe a little easier due to the grill. He has the 113 db horns made in India. Long story short, they worked for about 4 honks and stopped working. We thought it might be an issue with the ground or something, but everything was hooked up correctly. He put the stockers back in with the new wires and they worked fine. Were guessing he got some duds from the factory... go German engineering!

Bottom line: 2 thumbs up! More of a bling mod for me as I don't use the horn that much.. but it is nice to know if I need them, they will definetely be heard!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Was that you that honked at me yesterday as I was turning into the neighborhood?

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yup yup... you gots the hella-blast!!

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Lol. I was like wtf is honking?! And I looked back and saw a blue streak go by. I turned around to catch you hoping u were going to QT but I lost you.

They sounded good... I need to install mine.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yeah, I had every intention of making you a little kit with the wire and connecters etc... Then Jason was having issues with his horns and my newly installed Fumoto valve was leaking then my hood wouldn't close... basically I forgot. I'll see if I can't get him to hook it up for you...