Help-Cooling Iss: Recommend Svc locations

Discussion in 'General Community' started by toddsti, Nov 15, 2010.

1. toddsti

toddsti New Member

Anyone have a shop that they like to use besides dealers? I do not really want to spend or have the $ to sport for Subaru of Kennesaw, but I may have to figure out a way. My car, '05 STI w/ GT 30 + Meth, has had a number of cooling issues, (rather minor up to this point.) Cobb area preferred.

Two hoses have been replaced and I think I have another that needs replacement now. The leak is coming from somewhere around the turbo and is leaking on it I think. Steam is getting worse in the last few days, and I am AVOIDING driving it. It has blown the subfan fuse before and has had a stuck thermostat. I have learned some about getting the air out of the cooling system, and that is going okay when I replace a hose and massage the air out of the main hoses.

Other than hoses, a fuse and a thermostat, the car has needed nothing but regular maintenance-oil, brake pads/rotors, tires and of course gas/meth. So the car has been reliable so far. I hope this time it is a minor prob as well.

I used Batlground last time for brake work. Dan is cool and the service was done well. My only complaints are that the car was not ready as expected and the rear rotors were replaced after one turn by their recommendation. I believe that the rotors were out of spec anyway, but nonetheless I understand that rotors can be turned several times on the STI, just as on any other vehicle. I was told by the previous owner of the car that they probably recommended one turn replacement because they are racers and in racing that is a good idea. Also I bought Bobcat pads, (1521 from Cabotech,) on Dan's statement that they are the best, but they felt like they took a lot more pedal effort. My understanding, again, from the previous owner of my car, (Brian,) is that these are more aggressive pads which require heating them up well before they perform at their best. I had no idea that the pads would require such effort, but now I am used to them and that may be due to them softening up, (or because my car is such a hot head that it warms them up accordingly, jk.) The pads also squeak about as bad as my old ones, which sucks! I did try to bed them as directed by Carbotech.

Oh well, so again, any recommendations as far as service shops go? My problem is a cooling issue and hopefully not the turbo. It does not seem to run hot unless very slightly from a bit of air I may not have purged or from when it needs some coolant/water added due to the leak. I live in Powder Springs, (that's near Marietta y'all,) but I will travel as far as I can get before my car explodes, jk.) It is steaming up pretty good though, once warmed up.

HELP-Have STI-$ is tight (Owning an STI & low$ is an oxymoron most of you can relate to I'm sure, yet still,) HELP, my car is leaking, and I can't drive it! (And it's raining outside and my motorcycle is not fun all of the time, like now)