Help uploading videos from camcorder to pc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by V_WRX, Apr 25, 2007.

1. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

I have a bit of a dillema here. I'm trying to upload the videos from my camcorder to my pc, but because i use the usb 2.0 cable the videos are very choppy. I think the usb cable is not able to transfer the all the data volume required, which is why the videos are choppy (they freeze for a second, go on, freeze again). However, in the past i was able to upload videos, and they weren't choppy. I've tried all the different settings for different resolutions and bit rates. I've also emptied 20gb on my hard drive in case the problem is from my pc memory. I've bought a firewire cable but my pc has an old firewire jack, and the cable doesn't fit. BTW i'm using windows movie maker to upload the vids.

Does anybody know of any other way to upload videos from the camcorder to the pc? Or how to eliminate the choppiness from the usb transfer?

2. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

if you were able to uplaod in the past with no problems, i would say maybe you have to much stuff going on "memory hogging programs" when your uploading the movies and thats how their getting errors. if your memory chokes out then you will get pauses. make sure no other programs are running turn off any unnessary programs in the lower right corner of task bar. if that doesnt work i have some other stuff you can try.

3. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

thanks jt, i'm gonna try to shutdown as many programs as i can and see if it helps

4. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

i shutdown almost all running programs but the vids are still choppy. :(

5. Demo24

Demo24 Member

are you trying to stream video or..?

6. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

nah, i'm just trying to transfer the video from my camcorder to the pc.

7. Demo24

Demo24 Member

the camcorder manufacturer should have software that can grab the video for you.

is it choppy even after you save it to your harddrive?

8. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

i've tried using the software that came with the camcorder (ulead videostudio 7) but it's still choppy. and it's choppy even after i save it. I've tried to look for a camcorder docking station for the firewire cable (IEEE 1394) but they only come with usb jacks. Anybody know if i can buy an external firewire device or something that i can hook up to my laptop?

EDIT: i've found a pcmcia ieee1394 card on ebay that i'm gonna buy and this should speed up the video upload speed, hopefully eliminating the choppiness.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007