help with a strange noise

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sti4u2nv, Jul 17, 2006.

1. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

Hotchkis hollow sway bar
    Stock end links
    STI pink springs
    Stock struts

Ok...for the past few months there is this noise in the back of my car that I have been hunting. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like something tapping against the "wood" trunk floor when hitting a bump.

I have narrowed it down to the rear right strut, sway bar bushing or end link. You can actually make the noise by hand if you just grab the rear right fender and lift the car up an inch then push it back down. The noise happens on both the up stroke and the down stroke. I disconnected the end link and then rocked the car again and the noise didn't happen. This makes me think the problem is either then end link or the sway bar bushing.

Any guesses? I suppose it could still be the strut, but I don't know what kind of noises, if any, that would make if it has gone bad. I think I am going to take the sway bar off all together and drive around the block to rule out the strut for sure. Any other suggestions?

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I would guess sway bar bushing... have heard of that before. I like your idea of taking it off and checking. Don't really have a suggestion for a fix, besides lubing the bushing again.

3. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

you have the oh so famous STI strut clunk. Take it in to SOG and see if they will warranty it. This is a well know problem

4. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

Is this a problem with adding aftermarket springs? Do you think they would warrenty them with the pinks on there? I would hate to have to swap my stock springs back on. Changing springs is such a PIA.

5. Goose013

Goose013 Member

You sure its not hitting the bump stop because of lowering springs? did you cut the bump stops? maybe just needs some grease

6. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

you know I missed the part about disconnecting the endlink. Perhaps the swaybar flipped?

7. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

Sway is not flipped and I am certain I am not hitting the stop. Pinks really don't lower the car that much and like I said, the noise happens on the up stroke as well as the down stroke. I'll let you know what happens when I drive without the sway bar.

8. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

My money is on the top center lock nut not being tight enough, especially if they were installed w/out air tools! Stop by Tires Plus on Sandy Plains and Shallowford after 6 pm and I would be happy to tighten them for you and see if that takes care of the noise. Just have your seats unbolted and ready b/c I do have a couple of big jobs tomorrow.

9. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

Thanks for the offer. I live in kennesaw, so I never really get over to that side of town. I didn't have time to monkey around with it much last night. All I had time for was to use the grease gun on the sway bar bushings since I could do that without even jacking up the car. The sound was reduced this morning, though still there. I really hope this is just a case of ungreased sway bar bushings. I should have time to take the whole thing off tonight, so I'll check back in tomorrow.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i cant believe i didn't think of this earlier... my brother had similar noises from his coilovers and it was fixed by tightening the exact same nut

11. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

I am 15 minutes from Chastain and 75, offer still stands!

12. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

sorry dude...I got lost in my head. I thought you were talking about somewhere over in gwinnett. My bad. I can check the torque on those and re-tighten if necessary. Thanks for the offer.

Anyway, I've had the sway bar off for two days and the noise is still there. I'm guessing the strut is the problem.....DAMN. I guess I'll be putting a call into SOG soon. Thanks for all your help and opinions.

13. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

OK...So I hiked over to SOG this morning. They confirmed the strut problem and replaced not only the right rear but also the left rear under warrenty. Now that is what I'm talking about. SOG RULES!! That is why I don't mind going all the way across town to get my car worked on.

14. pogipoints

pogipoints New Member

Sorry to revive an old thread. Is the strut problem covered only under the 36,000 mile (basic) warranty?

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Yes it would be :)

16. pogipoints

pogipoints New Member

Sorry, I actually meant to ask if SoA/SoG can do anything with my out-of-warranty STi (without me having to shell out the full amount of course)

The noise is getting to be annoying. :(

17. pogipoints

pogipoints New Member

just an update:

lubing the strut works! at least for my strut noise... your mileage may vary...

18. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

This is your answer.

Edit sorry I didn't realize that the problem was already solved.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006