hood scoop on a BRZ... yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Jul 28, 2014.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

is it ricey to have hood scoop on the BRZ? miss the scoop haha... I know it`s not good for aero, etc but I like my old school subaru look. I`m thinking about this exact hood and getting it painted wrb with the aerocatch.
    [​IMG]

2. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Do whatever you like man. I think it looks pretty good, although it's hard to imagine on a stock looking brz because this car is so far from stock. I can't see one thing on that car from the factory except maybe the door haha.

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Yes if you are going to make it functional (ie. oil cooler, intercooler, etc.). No otherwise. It looks great on that car because they probably need it and it is CRAZY wide. Factory one is going to look kind of silly.

Take that same money and put it into more suspension or power. Much bigger return on investment.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's not get him started on suspension again... :p

5. mokinbird87

too late Matt :)

yea.. still saving for the road and track or the tein SRCs... once you get a little taste of awesome dampers, there is no going back :(

I think realistically speaking, my next mod will probably be the AP racing brake kit... felt the need at the track last Saturday.

however, aesthetics are still important as well :)

6. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

have you experimented with brake pad compound first? the Ap kits are definitely great and race proven, just its still a decent 'investment'.

On the plus side with AP kits, they seem to use more standard pad sizing which I've noticed can cost less than Brembo pads, not sure how that related with the stock BRZ tho.

7. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Pads, fluids, SS lines. There are plenty of guys running the stock brakes with great results. I saw the picture of the glowing rotors you posted. That doesn't mean you need new brakes. The AP's will do that at night as well. Hell...look at any road race pictures at night. All cars/track cars do it.

8. mokinbird87

yup. the glowing rotors in the photo are AP sprint kit up front and stock set at the rear. I figured I might as well do the upgrade if I`m going to be track racing the car often. It`s like $400 a year for 10 events here :naughty:

I think I`m gonna blame it on my parts instead of my noob driving skills haha.

big rotors and AP racing calipers dont look too shabby either :)

9. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

NO! Please Do not get a scoop on your brz