Hope no one preordered a PS3 from BB

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Nov 7, 2006.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

wow..well that makes no sense!

3. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

they never were gonna do them, its gonna be a problem if you preordered from anywere honestly. Most stores eb, gamestop, bestbuy, circuit whatever will get between 5 and 10 units. At most a place will probably only see 15.

Plus the first launch of ps3s is gonna be full of issues.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

Less than 400K PS3's are available nationwide. 5-6 times that many Wii's available. Both will sell out the first day. I am thinking 360 this holiday season.

5. I've already got a strategy for the Wii... a member store like Costco, or BJ's will have them too...

6. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

you don't need a strategy, sony is only shipping about 480,000 ps3 worldwide by the end of the year.

nintendo is shipping AT LEAST 1,300,000 units in the same time. ;p

in fact Sony is missing their target shipping goal for Japan on PS3. Instead of the woefully short 100,000, they'll have the ebay crippling 80,000 units.The chance of you getting a PS3 in the first 6 months is slim and none. And slim just left town. Europe wont even get any for XMAS.

The strange thing is that despite this bomb, and despite the fact that Japan had 500,000 PS2 at launch, there is almost no negative press coming out of Japan about this. Of course the shortages and the costs have been scathing to say the least over here. So what's Sony going to do?

Keep selling the PS2 and paint it silver to match the new PS3. No pricedrop on the PS2 either. Man, Sony is just killing themselves with a sharp pointy knife. The Xbox 360 continues to be a flop in Japan, crowding up shelves... but will that be the case after the PS3 supplies are all gone, and you get a deluxe Xbox for $100 less? This shortage represents Microsofts' biggest Window(tm) of opportunity to gain significant share if they have some software Japan actually wants.

Now there's reports Nintendo will cave and sell a WII with DVD movie support(like they did with the cube in Japan only). Interesting times...

7. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

does nobody remember that sony pretty much did the same thing for the ps2 launch? this will only drive up the demand for them.

8. E-Mol

E-Mol Member

When I last asked a couple of stores they said first come first serve basis. Circuit city is doing that and all the stores are only getting a handful. They might need a S.W.A.T. car outside the stores.

9. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm definitely thinking 360 is the way to go. First of all, sony is being a douche bag about the ps3. This makes me not want to even give them my business. Secondly, think about the turn around time on the next ps. The first one came out in the mid 90s. I think Microsoft will most definitely have a third system out supassing the ps3 and then possibly a fourth system by the time sony gets around to ps4.

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

Expect many thefts next friday.

11. Mad Mallard

hehe, they didn't do anything nearly as bad as they are for the PS3, the way I see it.

I mean, think about it. In Japan alone, when the PS2 launched, they had 500,000 units.

When the PS3 launches in Japan, they'll only have 80,000.:eek:hnoes:

only %16 as many systems.

12. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

The only reason i wanted to buy a PS3 was for the Gran Turismo game(s) that would come out for it. But I heard that in order to get new cars and tracks you have to buy them online. Cars costing between 25 cents to a dollar and tracks costing between 1.5 dollars to 3 dollars. So if you want all the content in the game it'll cost roughly 800 more dollars. (I read this in the wikipedia entry, but of course, it's subject to change until the game actually comes out).

13. Mad Mallard

yeah, that ticks me off too. MMORPGS, 'live' services, expansion packs....

all that stuff is designed to do one thing:

Make you pay for your single game more than one time. Its trying to break down the concept of 'ownership.' you don't own a copy of software anymore, you 'rent' it....

14. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Yeah I'm all for the co-op and team seprate tv's and such but the online thing is getting pretty crazy....with the exception of Halo of course. which they so better be on time with for pt3!

15. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i think i have decided to wait in line to buy one the day it comes out to sell it for profit.

16. savsuby

savsuby Member

I have a XBOX 360 and I love it.

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Good luck with that, you should have just pre-ordered one and sold off the pre-order on ebay for 1500 :)

18. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

MeeToo:)

19. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'll be sticking with my PS2 w/ GT4 for awhile. The whole extra $$ for tracks and cars will keep me from buying a PS3 at all.

On the PC front, I'll stick with my heavily oc'd P4 until the quad cores become affordable (<$400). I just don't find the need to pay premium $$$ for something I can wait awhile to get much cheaper. Been burned too many times. Blue ray and HD-DVD players will eventually cost <$100.

20. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I like staying a generation or so behind. Bought a new Dreamcast a few years ago for $50, and the games are dirt cheap. Picked up a Gamecube a year or so ago, great fun and pretty inexpensive games as well (especially used!).

Considering a used Xbox (not 360) for Xmas. :)

21. Normally I would agree, but from everything I've heard all the pre-orders are selling out for the Wii within an hour of starting. That and the predictions about the Wii being the super-hot christmas item this year make me want to make plans to grab one when I can...

Not to mention I promised my wife and kids that we would get one for everyone to play as a family on rainy days.:sx:

22. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Would have been waiting also but I caught an unbeliveable price on my 360 that I couldnt pass up

23. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

im camping out 2 days in advance as i found a local retailer is getting 20 ps3s.

24. Mad Mallard

most local retailers will let their employees buy one first. find out how many employees work there or expect to be upset...;p

25. longfury

longfury Active Member

Some retailers are starting to say they are getting half of the number of PS3's they were expecting.

Sony is not doing this on purpose. They really have manufacturing problems with this console.

26. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Maybe Sony is planning to ebay them. ;)

27. longfury

longfury Active Member

Sony made a mistake with the Cell CPU. Developers hate it as its hard to write code for(and because of the price they are holding off games to see if the system is adopted well enough to justify the cost). IBM is having problems making enough of the CPUs. Sony is having problems keeping the CPU cool. The blu-ray drive is driving up the cost and is adding to the problems too.

Sony screwed up.

28. Mad Mallard

Actually, they're not holding off because of price or because of developing.

ITs actually far easier to develop for than the ps2 was at the beginning because IBM and Toshiba actually have an application support development in place that game developers can go for help on.

They also have a kick-arse compiler the beginners can use that takes regular code, and breaks it up to run optimised (partly) on the CELL archetecture with multiple processors.

Lots of news links pointed to this, especially where linux is involved. A CELL system has been developed in a Blade server, so unlike any of the other competing game systems, the CELL has a real-world application outside of video games, and therefore a broader design base

you're right tho, except this is the primary reason. What the developers hate is, why would they want to develop a game for a system with less than 10% of the consoles out there to play on than the competition? thats no way to make money. ;p

29. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I have an xbox and a bunch of games I'll sell for a killer bundle price, with lots of controllers, full size and compact ones, several cable types and all that. I need mod money let me know in pm broham :)

30. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

this is actually false information....most retailers will not let employees buy them. If you do buy it you have to wait in line just like everyone else. Some will help employees out.

31. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

older macs hard to code, but being the fastest comes at a cost
    the cell cpu or cpu's in consoles with early "cell" like capabilities are remember and loved. Sony is doing the right thing, but the right thing isn't always the "right" thing to consumers.

I would rather wait for the PS3 then get a basically refurb xbox with a beefed up graphics card. The xbox is a huge dissapointment to me the games have always been sub par and I think it's a lot of hype. Halo is not that great of a game, made NO innovations to the FPS world, runs slower then dirt and has crap frame rate, but good marketing made everyone think it was the best thing ever. Sure the Xbox is more powerful, but ps2 games don't look that much different, good hardware will get you nowhere if you don't have the software developement to back it up. The software of the xbox is easy, but it has serious limitations, the ps2 software capabilities are still not being peaked, games will come out for it and continue to get better. The xbox was a wizz bang of a system, which is ok it's microsofts first go round. I still think that it was only microsofts way of getting a quick buck in the gaming world. My point to this will be if the Xbox is so uber, then why are it's sales so unuber and why have they not come close to matching ps2s total units sold?

Unless they make some serious improvements all around my business will continue to go to sony and nintendo.

sony is only following microsofts charge for all game software updates trend when they are going to charge for new content with the PS3, I think that it will be considerably less then the xbox charges for similar services. Doesn't make it right, but if a is charged b will soon also, just how it works unfortunately.

32. Mad Mallard

actually i got a correction on that from a gamestop guy... the stores will sell only 2 to staff if there's a supply

33. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

:eek3: ....wow so which FPS do you prefer?...I need to check that one out then...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  34. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

xbox was great for the genere of games I play racing,shooters mostly...your not the only person that dont like halo..I'm just not one of em lol!

atari
    nintendo
    turbo-graphics
    neo-geo
    Dreamcast
    game cube
    ps1
    xbox
    ps2
    xbox360
    ps3
    We come a looong way from pong... everything since then is a upgrade!!!
    just keep playin,just keep playin...just keep playin and playin and....

35. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

thats why i said some retailers allow that. None of the major ones do however. They would prefer sell it to a customer than an employee in hopes of gaining profits off of the accessories and games.

36. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

almost any PC fps has a good frame rate even with a crap video card halo was supposed to hit 60, but single player it was 30, and multi about 20. I used to play Q3mod FPS at 150+ fps. I don't much like star trek, but Elite Force was one of the best FPS games off all time, very serious following even 6 years later. There are lots of tricks in it and nice scripts that are not cheap, and most of the techniques involve a measure of skill. SOF 2, Solidier of Fortune 2, amazing multiplayer, the medal of honor games for pc were much more fast paced. Halo was always slow moving and had a hideous balence in weapons. Elite Force was likely the fastest next to Unreal Tournament. Medal of honor required a few modifications to become better, because it took way to many shots to kill someone, then the realism mod was added and that kicked ass. Before if you were good at leaning and keeping the mouse near the shoulders/head, the guys I used to play with and I could run into a crowd of 5 or more enemies in a suprise and walk away alive, before it was modded it was a silly game multiplayer.
    Halo's best attribute was decent sniper rifle, and vehicles that were not nearly invincible, it brought vehicle combat in FPS games to the front of the pack, before that only tribes had touched on vehicles in a balenced manor.

the PC version of halo is amazing, halo was never meant for the xbox, it was originally sposed to come out in june 2001, the original "trailers" and demo shots of it for pc looked many times better then the xbox version, microsoft took over bungie and pretty much tried to throw out press to make it look like the pc version never existed. For me, I'm just used to a first person shooter where the charactors really move fast, playing halo to me is like being in a rascal at an F1 race, that and no keyboard and mouse support for the xbox kills it for me even further.
    Americas Army is a damn good game, it gets a lot of bad karma because to be a sniper you actually have to qualify to be one in the single player trials, there are ways around it yes, but still it keeps the noobage level down.

to be honest I haven't touched an FPS since I quit my job at clanselite in late 2003. Nothing new has really grabbed anyone's attention of the people I used to play with, most of them played galaxies or anarchy online, some switched to battlefield and plan on playing the new one, which I probably will. Also being paid to play games makes things a lot different.

If you want a copy of elite force I have a few extra sitting around, you can download lots of good bots for it, that can actually be a challenge up to a point, and some people still play, but those people are generally going to be so good they make you scream. Call of duty, PC only is really impressive. If I played games much on the pc now I'd be playing WW2 based ones again, typically if you know where to look there is a pretty mature following for those games, which is nice.

37. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

Forza still can't touch gran turismo, you got force feedback, but the roads in it are still polished glass smooth. other then that forza is great, lots of real mods and they state what engines, you can swap, it is a good start to a family of racing games that is gonna be great. The second one is going to be a vast improvement. GT4's settings are crap compared to 3 in my opinion, forza got it right with the settings, and you can adjust castor, which rocks my socks off. My silly 500 something horse power integra is so stupid fast and corners like a gokart on crack. My ps2 is blown the f up so forza is all I get now. For a first time racing game forza captures the feeling of speed REALLY well, project gotham is still trying to figure that one out in some ways, but then again that's a funrace game rather then realistic. Anyone else drift a supra in forza? or an evo? I just wish that the traction in the game was more easily controlled, I don't see guys with supras with silly ammounts of power spinning tire like in forza, some for gt3/4 though. if they did spin like that every meet with one would be a :rofl:

38. Brian

Brian Active Member

My all time favorite FPS is Savage. 2 teams, each side has a commander. Tons-o-fun. Unfortunately the company's game server-server is gone and no more playing. 8(

39. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

so pretty much...the best FPS games are on a PC....well unfortunately the only microsoft product I own is x-box...so a PC-FPS is out of the question, and would obviously be faster than an x-box...

{ending my threadjack...sorry}

40. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

True, it took me forever to do a turn in forza had a 450 hp civic no matter what i did would not take a turn for sh$! until i slowed down. almost finished the game and then my xbox crashed. havent played it since to do all that over takes time i dont have anymore.:)