Hot water heater flooded <good plumber>

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by baddriver, Sep 22, 2009.

1. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

My hot water heater which is located in the crawlspace of my house was sitting in about 3 inches of water which was enough to get the pilot light and burner wet. At least it didn't the gas regulator valve since it was mounted
    higher on the unit.

Does anyone know of a good plumber that covers the east cobb area?

I'm going to try to air out the unit and start it tomorrow, but I may have to call a plumber.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Air it out and try to start it yourself. Make sure to bleed all of the air out of the gas line before starting. It would almost be cheaper to just buy and install a new hot water heater yourself than to get a plumber out there to "service" it. I installed my gas hot water heater in about 2 hours. It really isnt that hard if you have all of the parts and tools.

3. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

if it is a gas heater you have to have it installed by a cerified plumber and inspected by the city. you know, because of the fear of explosions, gas leaks and whatnot.

4. integroid

Never heard that one before. The people at Home Depot even told me to just install it myself. The gas line is already going to your hot water heater to a shut off valve. Then there is a replaceable felxible hose going from the shut off valve to the heater. I could see if you were converting from electric to gas but to just change out an already existing gas heater would not require you to have the city inspect it or have a certified plumber do the job.

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Faucet Pro. 404.644.9734
    I'm spacing on his name right now, but a great guy. up front and honest.
    http://faucetproplumbing.com/
    web page looks like it's more installs, but they've fix the drain in my sink, installed a shower head and mixer. anyway, nice dude. call them.

6. integroid

Wow...learn something new everyday. I walked over to my plumbing group and asked them about the above. They said in Cobb County you are suppose to get it inspected by the county and permitted. THey did not know if this was true for other counties or cities. They also said that it did not have to be a certified plumber that do the install but it would help pass since they would know all of the codes. I told them about my install and they laughed and said if I wanted to spend the money, get it permitted...if not...dont worry about it.

7. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Majestic Plumbing replaced a thermo-coupler fro $230 and had it running in a little
    over an hour after I called them. They can be reached at 404-798-1269 .

I called several plumbers that I was referred to and their knee-jerk response
    was that I needed to replace the water heater. I got ther number off of a
    truck I was following during my evening commute up I75N.

I'm pretty happy that I'll be able to take something more than a ho-bath
    in just a few minutes.

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

lol its a "water heater", not a "hot water heater". why would you need to heat hot water?

i used to work in plumbing at lowes. yeah, check your local building codes before you do anything yourself. especially if you fear for your safety, or plan on selling your house. otherwise call a pro. ask at lowes or home depot, they can possibly recommend someone, and also have installers for just about every job, INCLUDING CERTIFIED/LICENSED PLUMBERS

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

No you don't.