Housing near Ga tech, ghetto need not apply

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrCoffeeATL, May 18, 2006.

1. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Hey ya'll,
    I and two female friends from college are looking for an apartment proximate to Ga tech since they will be in grad school there. I've looked at mstreet apartments and gateway apartments which both look a little run down and have terrible reviews for safety. I looked at the flats at atlantic station too but it's over budget (very nice however). I would like not to have to put the girls in harms way (or myself for that matter) but price is a big concern for us.

I figured since we have some tech people here ya'll might have some suggestions. Rent around or below 500 per person for 3 of us would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
    Will

2. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

"come and knock on our door. we've been waiting for you......."
    sorry hade to get that out as threes company was singing in my head as i read your post.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i assume ur lookin for a 3 bedroom

4. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

yea 3 bed 2 bath since the girls want their own bathroom. If you know of house rentals in the area too that would be great. All i've found so far are 2 bedroom rental homes around tech. Rent.com is failing me

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

What kinda price range are you looking for?

There are some good places over in Berkely Park near Howell Mill. Theres a lot of apartment complexes along Defoors Ferry Rd that are pretty nice. I used to live in Collier Ridge right down that way and it was a pretty nice place, our apt was a 2 bedroom 2 bath with rent around 820/month, I'm pretty sure they've got 3 bedroom apts over there.

How much for the women?

6. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

well we were looking for under 500 or 600 for each person for rent if possible. I'll check out those suggestions.

If you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them ; )

edit: well home park seems like a possibility

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  7. heathbar

heathbar Member

Are they attractive? What are they studying in Grad school? I'm a 23 year old architecture student with a 1/1 midtown condo and a big bed with room for one more ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I also looked at the flats and others in that price range a few months ago, and ultimately found for that price I might as well be paying a mortgage on a condo. Wish I could help, but I don't know the area very well since I'm new to ATL.

8. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

it's funny you mention a mortgage on a condo or house since that is what several friends have done. We can't be tied down for that long though since things might change in a year so an apartment or rental house is really our only option.

oh and the field of study is chemistry :)

9. heathbar

heathbar Member

They're both in Chemistry? Cool. (You didn't answer the question about their attractiveness... :coolugh:)

I know what you mean about it being temporary. Luckily a condo is worthwhile for me because I've got a good job and will be sticking around for a while after my 2 years of grad are over. Best of luck with the search! :bigthumb:

10. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Only one is grad school really since the other is doing emergency medicine stuff. Both are very cute which gives me pause when thinking about m street or gateway which both have less then perfect security/lots of crime from what i hear. I may end up leaving them with university housing and hitting up sandy springs so they can get a nice post apartment or something. A cheap 3 bedroom in atlanta that doesn't scare me does not seem to exist.

11. GTscoob

Home park is kinda shady, our house just got broken into over the weekend and I've barely lived here 2 months. There are some nice houses but more often than not they're a dump.

12. heathbar

heathbar Member

I'm nervous about moving to ATL next month and meeting girls because 1) midtown seems to be all gay guys 2) GT doesn't exactly have a great male/female ratio!

Haha :coolugh:

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

upper midtown has a lot of hot women

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

centenial place.. 3 bedroom 1375... 2 bathrooms its a loft.. prertrty damn nice place.. right next to the ga state univ village =) i live ther... its a pretty safe place ive lived ther for nearly 2 years... and no problems for me.. ! better jump on this fast.. thease go like anything

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  15. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

This looks fantastic. I'm calling them tomorrow morning. Thanks. What service is it listed under?

16. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i lived at centennial for a year and a half... centennial itself is pretty decent but its right next to a homeless shelter so u might see some drugged out bums walkin around... security is pretty prompt in chasing them out... however, i wouldnt walk around luckie street late at night though...

17. Deke

Deke Active Member

Hey, if you find a good place but need a 4th person, let me know. I'm on the housing hunt alone for this coming year. All of my roommates are either co-opping or living on campus. Unfortunately I learned this after everyone else I know already found a place. So, I'm most likely going to live with people I don't know, why not make it a fellow Suby driver and two cute girls?

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

well, that is true milo.. but yeah.. that place isdecent enough.. as i said i see homeless people everywhere.. its no diff than a mile down the road...

19. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

We may need a 4th actually so i'll let ya know. My roomies are coming down sunday through tuesday and our goal is to find a place by the end.

20. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

you coming back from ohio for good will?:)

21. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Yep! I'm done with college so i'm here to stay. No more cold winters with lots of snow!

oh and Deweywrx, you should check out http://www.promove.com/ if you end up not being able to find a place or a room mate. It's one of the services i'm going through in my search.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  22. Deke

Deke Active Member

I appreciate the link. I just submitted my info tonight :)

23. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

awsome man!:) so you will be at more meets i suspect.

24. AWD OWNZ U

AWD OWNZ U Member

I live in this area and can vouch it's nice. The commute to Tech is easy and relatively fast, it's close to restaurants and the grocery store, and I've never had a safety issue and I wander around alone frequently and don't live in a pussy gated community. I was over at Post Collier Hills last night at a party and was sufficiently impressed (they had built speakers in the walls, cool). $1480 for a 3bd room, though they appear to all be rented out. Regardless I like living in the area.

I think one of my friends from Tech is still looking for a roommate, I'll talk to him if you want.

25. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

well after a day of looking around with my room mates and seeing what was available, we have sort of settled on the standard at lenox park or the heights at cheshire bridge. Both were in our price range for 3 people + animals and had availabilities.

I was just curious if anyone had anything to say about these two places. Both are about the same 1450 square feet and 1350 rent but crime (to the car!) and general complaints from friends you know would be very helpful in choosing over the other.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate ya'lls help

26. AWD OWNZ U

AWD OWNZ U Member

27. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

hehe yea both seem less than perfect i know. It's hard to choose a rental in atlanta with 3bed....

28. socrates42

socrates42 Member

check out the Post Appartment complex over on collier at northside/howell mill. I had a post 2bd room and it was about 500 a month. great security and amenities

29. GTscoob

Those seem really far away from here, especially with traffic.

Have you checked out anything in the Berkeley Park area or anything around Deering Rd? I know there are a lot of houses around there and some apartment complexes tucked back also.

30. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

500 total or 500/person?

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

well as i said cent place is down the street from tech

32. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

socrates42: we visted post collier and a few other post apartments. It looked very nice but it pushed our budget a bit thin and the people we asked about the apartmet said car crime and parking are an issue. Most of them were older so i don't know exactly how to take it.

milo: a little less than 500 per person actually.

GTscoob: traffic might very well be a pain in the ass but other things that were closer had issue with our pet(s) or the fact that there are 3 of us. Chances are i'll work between 5-8 miles away from the houses so i'm not too too worried about traffic.

Several people have said to get a house but i really don't have the credit or the funding to do that currently. Wish i did because it would make things a lot easier. :(