how to get rid of an old engine block?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Scotty B, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

i've got a torn down old 1.8T engine block sitting on my deck and i've got to the point where i'm just sick of looking at it. surely its gotta be worth something right (it's cast iron)?

what do you guys do with your old junk metal or engines? anyone have any recommendations on a recycler or scrap yard? i looked through some after google searching and it seems like they're all larger operations, not the kind of thing where you roll up with a pile of junk and they hand you some cash!

any help appreciated.

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I know there's the place in bankhead where you can take scrap metal such as aluminum cans and get change but I've never been there.

3. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

two places i scrap at are newell off Peachtree Ind Blvd, and Blaze off Jimmy Carter...

4. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

what can u expect ot get for an engine block?

5. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

cool, i was looking at newell as they are the closest to where i work so it would be easy to swing by.

6. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I'm pretty sure it's easy to take small loads of stuff to Newell.

They are right around the corner from my office and we always have guys digging in our dumpsters for scrap metal. That and we have shitheads stealing a/c units for the copper.

7. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

You could turn it into a badass coffee table like the guys from Top Gear did...that would be epic

8. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

unfortunately scrap metal isn't bringing shit right now...it wouldn't even be worth the gas that you would spend driving to the yard...

Typically, it is a waste of time to go to the scrap yard with anything less than 1000lbs...IMO.

of course it also depends on what type of metal you are taking.

9. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

yeah thats what im going to do with min until someone buys it