HTC Incredible vs Samsung Fascinate/Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Which to get? Q4 Verizon offerings are pretty weak and I am ready to move on from the Droid that I am borrowing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
  2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Fascinate. I have the ATT version of the phone. It is full of win.

3. tolnep

tolnep Member

i woulda thought it would have been between droidx and fascinate.

my sister looked at the three..

incredible, fascinate and droidx and picked the fascinate. i think she was most impressed by the fascinate's oled display.

go play with them all.

4. Alex

I played with all of them this morning. I was quite impressed by the AMOLED screen of the fasctinate and how well the gestures worked on it. I was not, however, impressed with the bing and "forced" vzw nav (not google maps). The Droid X is cool but its just fucking huge. That thing would be crushed in my pocket on day 1.

All three are a little too light and feel cheap IMO. I wish the Fascinate had the metal rear that the Galaxy has.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Alex, you can easily remove the bloat with a few clicks. Galaxy is very easy to root.

6. Alex

That's what Ive been reading about. I am most tempted by the Fascinate, but I am not sure what to think about it pricing wise...

w/ 1 Year Contract after $100 MIR Debit Card
    Fascinate is $269.99
    Incredible is $219.99
    Droid X is $269.99

7. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

MIRs are always a pain in the ass. I'm not really sure what people have experienced with MIRs through phone providers/service providers, but I'm guessing it's almost the same with PC hardware and MIRs.

8. Alex

You get them, just takes time.

Am I reading this correctly? The Fascinate has the lowest amount of onboard memory? This is based on the Verizon online comparison.

Droid X--8GB internal - 8GB Flash/512MB RAM
    Fascinate--Flash: 512MB, RAM: 384MB
    Incredible--ROM: 512MB, RAM: 512MB DDR

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

actually, I've been way more successful with a MIR through Verizon than I have been with any electronic/computer part. I say this because I've always received my MIR through Verizon and never bothered to submit the pc parts cuz I know they'll deny it.

What sucks is up until the past 6 months, Verizon used to do an instant rebate if you ordered online.

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Dont forget the Fascinate has a sgx540 -- this makes the UI and graphics intensive apps so much faster on this phone than any other android device.

11. Matt

I like you better when you don't an iphone stuck to your brain

:p

12. Alex

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Its nice.. but i wish the Android market were as mature as the Ios market.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  14. Matt

No. The Droid X has 8GB Internal with 512MB RAM

The Fascinate has 2GB built in memory.

Incredible has 8GB built in memory with 512 RAM and ROM.

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Wasn't impressed with the Incredible at all... The Galaxy S was amazing on tmobile, not too sure if there are many differences with the Verizon version. Haven't got to mess with the DroidX yet. I would go with the Fascinate for that awesome screen alone... Bloatware can be removed....

16. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I love my galaxy s(epic). Only problem thus far is no copy and paste. Other than that no problems.

17. Alex

So its an even better iPhone clone than I thought :clap:

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

What? What do you mean no copy and paste?

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The Fascinate has 16 TOTAL built in. 2 gb is app/os space.

20. Matt

from the Verizon page:

• 2GB Internal memory
    • 16 GB microSD card pre–installed on–device

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Weird, seems like that is off. There is a single 16 gb chip split in to 14/2.

22. Matt

my only issue with the fascinate is the fact that it utilizes Bing instead of Google for search AND maps.

Gimme Google on my Google OS'd phone. Not Microsoft.

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

All ATT android phones come with Yahoo.

24. Matt

I'm seeing the 16gb memory on the Captivate, but the fascinate has a different chip.

25. Alex

I love the debate. However, this thread has done nothing to make my decision any easier. :rofl:

26. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i think the answer is clear. Get the fascinate :)

27. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Nevermind just figured it out.

28. Alex

Per my IM with Matt.

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I can't believe this idiocy. granted, users have a choice - but the devices work best when integrated with google services

ATT reminds me of some asshole kid on the playground who takes the kickball, makes a big stink, then walks home

cliffs notes: fuck ATT

30. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Verizon branded the Fascinate as well Justin - forced Bing and VZ Nav. My guess was that Samsung was underpressure to roll out a phone to each carrier.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Thats crazyness... Google OS.. and your forced to use Bing(crap.. jmo) and Vzw nav? Seems counterproductive. Allthough, I'm sure it can/will be rooted shortly with Roms to fix all that. Its then just a matter of having to break your warranty to make your phone work like it should from the factory...

32. Alex

Aye.

33. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

yeah, it took me all of 5 minutes to root my EVO...and that included watching the BS video.

34. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I just got to play with a galaxy phone and I have to say it was pretty impressive. I would get that over the Incredible.

35. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I am not a technology guy (as it is half of this thread was over my head) but I like the Incredible i just got. The size is just right and it does some cool things. I especially like having verizon as my carrier.

I did look at the Galaxy s though and liked it too.

36. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm eligable for an upgrade next month.... its so tempting... But this is such a crazy time for smartphones. Supposedly a big batch of new hotness is right around the corner(dual core etc..) . I will be very tempted to get a Fascinate or maybe a Droid X... But I'm really going to try to just wait. All I know for sure is I want the Super Duper Amoled goodness.

37. Alex

Yeah supposedly this is the last generation of the 1ghz processors. Rumor mill says that the new Arm Cortex-A9 processor (http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a9.php) is right around the corner. This proc is scalable to four coherent cores and up to 2ghz :wiggle: We cannot forget all the mumbo jumbo about LTE around the corner either.

What I do know is that I'll have 30 days to play with the phone. I am planning on picking up the Fascinate today and waiting to see if anything magically appears for VZW on Black Friday (Nexus S, etc). I also know that I am growing more and more tired of the Droid everyday and that it is time for a change. Devices releases are so rampant now that I have decided that I am no longer going 2 year contracts on anything--1 year from here on out.

38. Matt

a one year contract costs $70 more than a 2 year contract. They do this to make up the discounted cost of the device. In the end, you're still paying the same amount of money for that specific device.

39. tolnep

tolnep Member

40. Alex

I've played with it for the last day or so and there's a good bit to say. I will say that every negative review I read really blew everything waaaaay out of proportion. I was back using google search and google maps within 45 seconds of activating the phone on Vzw. I'll try and write up some detail tomorrow.

The thing to keep in mind is that utility appeals to me when it comes to phones. This is why I was a blackberry user for so long :)

41. Alex

Rumor mill at its best once again. The number one thing to assume is that LTE won't hiccup when it launches. I have serious reservations about the technology rolling out without any issues. Even if the LTE network rolls out without hiccups, there's no telling how the pilot devices will act on the network. At besides, we're talking the tech game here. There will always be, without faili, a post stating how the next hot thing will drop six months from now. It doesn't matter what carrier, what brand, or what country. The best thing you can do is to do your homework, read and go play with them. There will be at least one phone that fits your hand and your lifestyle (read as usage style).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  42. tolnep

tolnep Member

i wouldnt get the new HD because it supported LTE. LTE is in limited release. i need a phone that works everywhere. However, it does support all of verizon's existing networks (EVDO being the important one here) and is the verizon version of the sprint EVO. if and when it supports LTE is just icing on the cake.

43. Trey

Trey Active Member

Just wait and get a 3G CDMA/ 4G LTE phone. LTE will be in every city that has an NFL team, 32 I believe at launch. Why mess with anything else?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  44. Trey

Trey Active Member

Why would it hiccup? It's been lit up for a while now (for testing) and devices tested to the nth degree.

45. Matt

you do realize that LTE is just data...it will still carry the same 3G phone service that all their phones carry now.

46. Alex

I'm tired of waiting. There will always be something better the minute I purchase a piece of technology. This is why I pulled the trigger on the Fascinate. Say hello to AMOLED :wavey:

47. Matt

you can install google maps and google search from the market. :)

48. Alex

The google search isn't that simple unfortunately. Once you install maps, you will be prompted to set it as default and you will be a-okay from that point onward. I still need to take some photos of the phone and write a full commentary on it but I haven't had the energy as of late (dang sickness!).

49. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The 2.2 rom leaked out so you can run that if you want.

50. Matt

not really...you get a few added bonuses, but nothing game changing.