I asked subaru for an STi Legacy

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by sti4u2nv, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

I just sent this to SOA PR. I'll let you know what they say.

"I don't know how seriously you guys take customer suggestions, but I wanted to tell you what I think would make a good STi Legacy. I am a huge Subaru fan and I would like to always own a Subaru. I first bought a 2000 2.5RS and have since upgraded to my WRX STi. However, I will likely be looking for a car with more refinement and luxury.

I want a car that is a true drivers car. I want a car that represents the ultimate in performance and handling, but is still classy and desirable. If done right, I believe an STi Legacy could easily compete with cars like the BMW M3 and the Audi S4. This sub-group of the sports sedan market embodies the spirit and image of a high class, quality, performance machine that allows a driver to tackle any driving situation, from city streets to the open track, with confidence and enjoyment.

This is a summary of features that I believe would be necessary to compete with cars such as the M3. I think you would need about 325-350 hp and tq. I think the turbo lag on the 2.5 STi engine is something more demanding drivers will not put up with, so that makes me suggest the 3.0, but it wouldn't matter if the turbo lag could be reduced on the 2.5.

The 6spd tranny and differentials are great except for one thing. I believe the manually adjustable DCCD is pointless. The center diff is great, but most drivers don't have the desire or knowledge of what setting to use in a given situation. Rather than the driver adjusting the level of center diff lock, the driver should have settings for the driving situation (ie. snow/gravel, tarmac/track, daily/street). I'm sure the center diff would be much better utilized if controlled by computer logic with driver input on the driving situation.

I also think you should include the active yaw control system and adjustable damping struts. Both of these systems should be controlled by the same driver input system as the center diff. I'm not sure how the yaw control system works since we don't have it here in the US, but the damping could have settings for touring, street, and track use. Over all, with that combination of equipment, this would easily compete with other cars containing top of the line technology. Of course you should also include items such as brembo brake, multi wheel options, some sporty yet classy styling, and, please, offer navigation.

As for price, I think you could reasonably charge around 40K. That would follow other trends such as the M3 and S4 being roughly 33% more than the 330 or A4 quattro. Also, that would put the STi Legacy roughly 8K - 10K less than competing vehicles. Hopefully the lower price would make up for the lack of reputation Subaru has in the higher class market. Just like the WRX STi, this would be a more bang for your buck situation. However, I would guess that a good number of customers in that market are more concerned with image than money, so I would guess you would need some good marketing.

I hope I haven't bored you, but I really believe an STi Legacy would be good for the brand and start to pull customers from a market whom have more demanding taste. If this email gets no further than your inbox, so be it, but I hope you folks and SOA find it to be useful feedback."

2. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

well said. :bigthumb:

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

Very well said, though they may be smarting from "the lack of reputation Subaru has in the higher class market". 8)

I would've picked this car over my STi...

Subaru 3.0 turbo Skyline eater, yum

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

for some reason i believe they will always want the WRX STi to be the most powerful out of their line up

5. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

let us know if u get any feedback

6. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

very well said, and I agree. perhaps twin turbo H3 to get rid of lag? They've done it before (B11S) so they're entirely capable. The output was 400bhp/400ftlb. Milo, I beg to differ with you on this point. The WRX STi will always be the most powerful impreza, but STi is a tuning company and I don't think they will necessarily limit themselves to the Impreza. After all out "WRX STi" could be said to be a "fake" sti because it's a 2.5L so they've already ventured away from the true rally heritage of the car... I'm not bashing STi's because I love them to death, but aren't we the ONLY market with a 2.5L??? If they made an Legacy STi, I would be all over that car and I think a lot of other people would too. The STi is eating into performance competitors already, esp 3 series and A4's... There's no reason subaru can go after the big boys in the 5 series the A6 (rumors of the RS6 coming stateside). They have the capability to do it, but the marketing is necessary as said above. Subaru has already stated their desire to be more "luxury oriented" with close ties to its performance heritage and the B9 is a good blend but it's an SUV. I think matt's suggestion is a perfect way for Subaru to accomplish this.

7. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

Brian: Wouldn't you agree that it was an accurate statement. Despite subaru's efforts, the top sellers in the us are outback and wrx. Primary customers...parents in the snow belt and 20-30 year old male respectively. Neither of which would be looking for or could afford a serious, luxury sports sedan.

Milo: there ain't no point in competing in a market unless you can compete. Numbers would have to go up to compete with the germans.

Skull: I agree with you about the twin turbos...in parallel i think, not series. Two small turbos putting out maybe 10 psi would have minimal lag. We are looking for wide and smooth power band, not super high numbers. I want drivability, not whiplash.

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

a bi turbo setup would be nice

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Mmm yummy

Attached Files:

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

I didn't say you were wrong, and I do agree with you. Subaru needs to steal some car interior designers from vw and lexus. VW for the style and lexus so it won't break...

Fat kids don't like being called fat... 8)

11. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

ahmen my brother

12. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I think Subaru could easily differentiate the two. WRX STI= aimed at BMW m3 type market, while the Legacy STI would be aimed at the G35/M5 market. High speed cruiser vs. all out performance sedan....

13. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Matt, I agree with you and Scott too... Subaru cannot expand beyond the 20-30 and snow belt unless it really does go upscale. Everything it in place, they've proven that with their various concepts, now they just have to do it. That may mean sacrificing the All-out-raw energy of the Sti for a more smooth-band muscular engine, but then sobeit.... Gimme a pure sport sedan =)

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that black one is VERY TIGHT

15. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

16. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

I was looking at the numbers, and, intrestingly, except for car length, the rest of the legacy's girth is on par with the BMW 3 series, not the 5 series.

You know, it seems to me that the US market has more potential than subaru realizes. They have been waking up in the past few years with WRX and STi, but cmon, we want more.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  17. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

That black legacy with the wing is very nice looking. STi legacy indeed.

18. sti4u2nv

sti4u2nv Member

Response from Subaru. I don't know if she was trying to clue me in to the possibility without actually confirming....or maybe she was just stringing me along. Read between the lines as you see fit. My personal opinion....she was just stringing me along.

"We do submit suggestions, based on input from customers. We have noted your comments and have forwarded your suggestions to our Product Planning Department for consideration on future Subaru vehicles. We recognize that the most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. While we are unable to provide any specific information about the possibility of a Legacy STi model, please know that there are some exciting things to come from Subaru of America in the near future. We encourage you to periodically visit www.Subaru.com for any new information. Thanks for the opportunity to be of service."

19. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

It is rumored that they will bring the legacy STi into the US. In addition, we're supposed to get the forrester sti as well. However, before either of those arrive here, SOJ is sending us a special edition legacy to hype up the aftermarket legacy community.