I don't know about you guys but Im still not biting!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RoMe, Jul 9, 2007.

1. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

nope i wont either!

3. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I was thinking I would wait too, but the had Gran Turismo HD hooked up at the Best Buy up towards Acworth on 41 :eek3: It looked incredible. It was just a demo, but that may be worth dropping the money for me. Plus HD DVD, but I need to get a real TV first.

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

$500 for a Blu-Ray player is nice tho!

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Just because its technologically superior doesnt mean you guys have to be afraid of it :)

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

even with the price cut that is too expensive for me to justify

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Yep...

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

$500 for a state of the art game console PLUS a Blu-Ray player is a steal.

Most Blu-Ray players are $1000.

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i dont NEED a blueray player.. and as a game console the games dont justify me buying one

10. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yup..heck I dont even have a high def tv so it really wouldnt benefit me at all..the last thing I need is something else to occupy the time I dont have

11. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I like the idea that it may get Microsoft to drop the price on the 360. I want one of those more than the PS3 anyway.

12. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i dunno, when devil may cry 4 comes out i may change my mind, 500 is still a bit...too much.

13. RADON

RADON Member

Still too expensive. As for buying a PS3 for it's DVD playing ability, there was a survey done a week or so ago showing most people don't even know that their PS3 can play blu-ray dvds.

I also wouldn't base my decision to buy a PS3 on the blu-ray DVD factor as that race has yet to be determined. However, it does look as if both formats will be around thus, requiring two players or a combo unit.

Oh, and Blu-ray players have dropped since launch and are around $400-500.

14. Deke

Deke Active Member

Funny stuff aout the survey. As for the rest of your post, it's like you took the words right out of my mouth :)

I'm not going to by into a technology (Blu-ray) that may be phased out like a beta max tape.

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

Bluray Is Absolutey Pointless Unless You Have A 1080p Television

/thread

16. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

Pish posh. 1080 anything is beautiful. I applaud anyone who sees the difference between "i" and "p." For the rest of us, even 720 is better than SD.

17. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

I don't NEED anything I've done to my bugeye. We are talking entertainment here.

18. Alex

Does anyone remember? the first playstation (psx at this point) was 400 when it came out, same as the ps2 iirc. $100 more for something that destroys it all doesnt seem that unreasonable.

19. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yuh!!!!! xbox630 FTW!!!!

20. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yuh!!!!@!!!R@!!

but ps3 still isn't > ps2 in terms of game selection

I like the ps2 slim thing.

21. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yeah... bugeyes are cool. I wish they kpet teh look so that our 05 car lloked like teh shit

22. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

how dare you bring logic into this!

Seriously, people have some short term memories.

The launching of the ps2 was a DVD player as a time when DVD players still weren't cool yet (startin at $350 when I was selling them at Circuit City)and Laserdiscs still roamed the earth.

this price cut is huge.

Let me put this in perspective. Everybody's saying how the PS3 has already lost in console numbers. Here's some interesting facts for you.

The PS3 launch first 3 months outsold the PS2's first 3 months. It also outsold the Xbox360's first 3 months, the same time range.

Anyone remember, the PS2 took how long to drop that first $100? That was because there was nothing in the PS2 technology that was being used in anything else. Not true for the PS3, the CELL is used in server mobos, like BLADEs, and in hidef multistream devices, like DVRs and Display monitors/tvs. That demand will drive the cost down even faster from here now.

And as far as being too expensive still, i would like to point out what you get for $500...

Cd player, Progressive scan Dvd player, Blu Ray dvd player
    a PS1, a PS2, a PS3
    a SACD(super audio cd) player
    Digital media center with 60gb

This is in striking distance for me now. I never owned a ps2 and just played on a friends'. I was still considering buying a ps2, but damn if they still don't want $150 for it. That shoulda been $99 a long time ago. But now, that ps3 is looking tasty...

23. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

ididn't even cluck the link, but my supernebtendo ownes all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

xbox 360
    Cd player, Progressive scan Dvd player
    a xbox, xbox 360 has better games than the ps3. and xbox live ftw.
    a SACD(super audio cd) player(NOT SURE)
    Digital media center with 20gb...already supports windows media center and other windows PCs

better lighting capabilities in the 360.. though the cpu in the ps3 may be superior(not by much).. the GPU in the 360 is superior.

not to mention.. much cheaper..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  25. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

hhaha.. I still have the 27" sony tv that I bought in college... I = teh loser without an HD tv :(

26. Mad Mallard

of course 'better games' is subjective, but the xbox 360 is a horrible xbox and plays a much lower percentage of backwards titles correctly. (except for european ps3s which blow)

it definetly does not play SACDs

Digital media center with 20gb...already supports windows media center and other windows PCs

the 360 does not have 'better lighting capabilities;' what it does have is a heavier Anti Aliasing support. IN fact the ps3 shading engine is almost double in bandwidth and operations and it can borrow more shading power from the CELL as needed, and the ps3 doesn't share its video ram with the rest of the system. the 360 relies heavily on its on-die eDram to 'clean up' the graphics for final output, just like the old xbox did. They are very comparable graphics engine, but while the 360 has that eDram, the ps3 is far more customisable and can borrow power from the CELL.

now its only $20 more than an xbox 360 elite. and the elite still doesn't have an HDDVD standard...so, not much cheaper anymore.

27. RADON

RADON Member

Elite will drop to $399 announced this evening. Both are decent options as you can get the HDDVD addon for around $100 with coupons.

Either system is fine but both are still inferior to PC's! Long live PC gaming ;)

28. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I've allways been a PS man since they came out, never really cared for Xbox. I have thought about it though since they are a lot cheaper and the games are pretty cool. Then I read article after article about how they crap out repeatedly and you better have ur warranty cuz you'll need it. This includes 2 of my friends that got the red circle(or whatever it does when it dies). Haven't heard about any reliability issues with the PS3, just people bitching about the price... including myself :) I will have one someday though, oh yeah... I will have one!

29. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

oh yeah well my xbox is modded and has damn near every nes, snes, sega game, as well as a bunch of arcade games and some n64 games.

thats right...you want to touch it dont you

30. Mad Mallard

yeah, the fail rate of 360 has been about 1 in 3! O_O

but they must have fixed it because MS has retroactively put a 3 year warranty on all 360s. Its the first product MS is actually supporting completely ever.

meanwhile ps3 has a fail rate of about 1.2% and the Wii has about a .5%

31. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I just think Microsoft is evil. They give me the hibblie jibblies.

jibblies.

32. heathbar

heathbar Member

I still want a wii :wiggle:

33. Alex

Hell yea :)

34. Brian

Brian Active Member

GT3 SpecA got me to purchase a PS2 awhile back. The PS2 was also our first DVD player. I'll probably get a PS3 when GT5 comes out, but...

I didn't buy a PS3 yet just because Sony has done so much anti-consumer shit this past year it's *crazy*.(drm, cd rootkits, p2p lawsuits, satan worshiping parties, etc.)

35. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

yeah i'll get me a ps3 when gt5 hits the stores.

i have the 1080 tv so i'll get some kick ass gaming entertainment sys. to get the most out of my tv.

36. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

yeah i'll get me a ps3 when gt5 hits the stores.

i have the 1080 tv so i'll get some kick ass gaming entertainment sys. to get the most out of my tv.

37. Mad Mallard

there are worse parties in that. plus, the ps3 runs linux, and you can program for it, all the dev kits for it are open source and open GL.

38. Mad Mallard

that begs the question, though. If they're only dropping in response to Sony, then they've been overcharging for a largely defective product for a long time now. ;p

if they're really about to lose a billion dollars making the warranty 3 years, imagine what they're about to lose now with the price drop...

39. Trey

Trey Active Member

So anyone foolish enough to by a standalone Blu-Ray player is missing the Boat IMO. You can spend the same money and get a game console. lol

40. Trey

Trey Active Member

lol

My 2003 1366x768p set looks beautiful with HD content. 1080p is swell but not a night and day difference. The Blu-Ray and HD-DVD content looks awesome in 720p/ 1080i.

41. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I always find it amusing how people can get so defensive about each of the consoles and which is superior. I can understand allegiances to sports teams and etc but we're talking about an electronic entertainment device. Whichever is more fun, buy it. Don't go stressing about some little technical facts that in real life don't determine if you're gonna have fun.

42. RADON

RADON Member

Not everyone is foolish who buys a standalone player. There can be lots of reasons to buy a standalone like stated in the following review. I guess if watching your collection of regular DVD's isn't a factor, the PS3 would be acceptable.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

43. Mad Mallard

i'm not sure when this review is dated, but unlike all other DVD players in the review page, the ps3(like the xbox) is comparatively rapidly and easily firmware updated, so lots of these criticisms seem to be out dated.

In June the ps3 received a major update to its deinterlacer and progressive scan options for the dvd part, and upscaling into HD resolutions was added.

and if the video output of a Bluray is so good by the reviewer, then its only means that the video rendered for regular DVDs needs help controlling brightness levels is a software update and not a hardware problem too.