i have a job question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RoMe, Jun 2, 2009.

1. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

This may be long winded so im sorry in advance. Well anyways on Sat i got a job offer that i had been waiting on for months that i easily accepted. At my current job i get paid much less than the new one and its 45 min away from the house. I put in my week notice on Sat and plan on starting at the new job on Mon.

So here is the question should i even bother finishing this week and stay home with my newly born child and wife to help out. Or finish my week here and push my new job start date back? What would you do?

I know its kind of a stupid question but i dont know what i should do.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

never burn a bridge.

3. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

do what you think is rite deep down inside, but remember family always comes first

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Your family does come first but I agree with nsvwrx, I would not burn a bridge in these tough economic times.

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I say burn the bridge. You already have another job lined up, so you are not burning a bridge with nothing to look forward to. I would not try to push your start date back with the new place, that could be worse than burning a bridge.

6. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

You guys have very good points. Im leaning more to 420 and king's replies because i dont really ever plan on coming back here. Im still not sure though

7. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Just go to your current boss and tell them the situation. If you worked for me I would just let you leave so you didn't waste my time!

8. FACE

FACE Active Member

I agree ^^^^ Just talk to them and see what they say. If they are cool and tell you goahead and go then great...if not....burn the bridge!!!

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

I've burned plenty of bridges "technically", I probly couldn't ever go back to a few jobs, but am still friends with and talk to coworkers from those previous jobs. If you know you're not ever going back there then don't worry about it, focus on the future. That includes the little one.

10. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

thats a tough one...I say try and finish out the week, possibly ask your boss if they need you to finish out the week, not sure what job you do, etc...how easily replaceable you are/ are not. Step up first and see what you can do. I know having a new born is making it very difficult as well and its a situation I've never been in. Burning a bridge can always be something that can bite you in the butt! I hope you can get it figured out with least bit of negative impact as possible.. Good luck

11. heathbar

heathbar Member

I'd say be honest with them. See what they say. If they're cool with it, great!

If they need you to finish out the week. Then do it. 1) It could bite you in the butt in some scenario you can't forsee. 2) Think of it from the boss perspective. Would you like employees just suddenly bolting?

12. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

I wont listen to anyone that says "burn the bridge"
    Everything is a full circle. You may have to lick the shoe that you use to kick someones a$$

To those that dont have to deal with HR a lot - They have a lot more tools than you think or know.
    What you are looking for a win win situation. Your family is priority of course but also think how can you make them a priority when you cant put food on the table. You may think you have secured a job today but no one knows whats goin to happen tomorrow.

I would do the opposite and show your best side before exit and make them remember how big a loss when you arent there.

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Not sure how you get paid, hairly or salary, but if your hourly at the new job, you may want to stay the week so you have a decent floater paycheck. Normally it take a full pay period to kick in when you start a new job, maning 3-4 weeks before you see your first paycheck. Atleast that's how it always been with me. You don't want to take a week off and then have a weak check to support the fam for a few weeks between checks.

But then again who knows when you'll have another week to spend with the baby.

14. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So it's Thursday now. What did you do?

15. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I went to work. I know when it came down to it I just went in.