I something wrong?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by D_K, Sep 2, 2006.

1. D_K

D_K Member

I just put in a fugita cold air intake in my car...

and for some reason it feels like my car is about to shut off when i am at a stop light...the rpm keeps jumping.....to much air not enough fuel?...

what can be done about this?

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

tune? I dunno, the concensus used to be that a CAI was a bad idea for wrx/sti, but everyone seems to like them around here...

3. D_K

D_K Member

yeah but... why would a short ram be better?..

cold vs.hot?

is CAI bad for the car?..how did people come up with this concensus..

4. Demo24

Demo24 Member

some tend to work better than others. Why I don't know, guess the construction and the way it positions the air sensor mess things up.

I think K & N is suppose to work well with these cars.

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm not saying short ram is better. I'm saying that stock is fine for anything less than a front mouth. Like previously said, some CAIs work better than others. But since they don't really add much to the car, seems easier to just avoid the potential hassle.

That being said, if you do want a CAI, I'd go injen or K&n, both of those seem to be pretty widely used. As for your dilemma, if you have any plans on getting tuned in the near future, that would probably take care of it.

6. D_K

D_K Member

thanks

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

You can reset the ECU too. The explanation I got was that the Injen is the only CAI that is specifically tuned to work for the MAF on our cars. Others are like a millimeter off which screws up the MAFs reading.

8. D_K

D_K Member

I just reset my ECU ...should the maf reading be correct ?

9. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

SRs are worse than CAIs, because instead of leaning out the mixture(which isn't good to begin with), your pulling in HOT engine bay air. SRs are mechinically useful/neccessary only if you have FMIC. get your car tuned for the CAI if you can spend the additional $. if not, then sell the CAI, put the stock intake back, saw off the silencer (that'll give you the sound you're liking) and get the tune. you're going to be lucky if you get 10whp (above what you would get tuned without CAI) out of a tuned CAI.

i ran an injen CAI for a little while, it sounded good-didn't lean me out, but was too loud for my taste

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

make sure the inner diameter is 65mm like stock

11. KtownSubaru

KtownSubaru Member

Runnin a K&N

The car came with it from the dealership. I've never had issues with rough idling. I suppose it could be a bit soundy but I like it, and by the time I may get sick of it I'll have some new speakers and never hear it anyways. I've never driven a stock WRX so I can't tell you if it's worth having or not, mine seems like it was worth it for free though.